Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
Here is one video and there are several on the pedal commander. Seems like the owners are enjoying the quick throttle response. There are many technically savvy members on this forum and maybe they can comment. My immediate concern is would this play well with the Porsche warranty.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
this P/C won't void warr.No foot print.Remove when go to dealer.Plug and play.Installs at gas pedal.

·
Registered
172 Posts
The first video above by Pedal Commander is terrible. It wastes valuable electrons just showing people smiling and provides zero useful information about the device. The second video is very informative and raises a number of questions in my mind.

If I had to find something to complain about with my new Boxster it is the very short but annoyingly perceptible delay between suddenly giving it substantial throttle and feeling it respond, no matter the mode. Maintaining about 3000 RPM during street driving (when I would expect to be about 2000) minimizes this latency but does not eliminate it. I also never previously experienced as much noticeable latency on a sudden downshift from 4th to 3rd. It is not that this latency is long. It is very short but unfortunately very noticeable and takes away from the instant gratification of the desired response to a sudden throttle application.

The second video above strongly appears to show the Pedal Commander providing a much more satisfying throttle response - ranging from just noticeable to maybe too responsive. Since it is just a plug and play electronics module, it makes a strong argument in my mind that turbo lag is not the problem. Therefore, I have to come to the conclusion Porsche has intentionally, via coding, dumbed down the response to a sudden throttle application. Why would they do this? I am sure Porsche has a good reason as they want to sell cars and intentionally introducing any perceptible delay does not make customers happy. So, even without considering warranty issues, what would I want to be concerned about with respect to not taking life out of my otherwise wonderful piece of machinery? Obviously, if this thing really works as advertised I want it but the old adage of never a free lunch really rears its ugly head here.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have had a pedal box fitted to my car for the last 2 years, great bit of kit..
It takes out the dead travel in the accelerator pedal and gives you a more instant response
I forgot to remove it once when the car went into the dealer but they didn't say a word about it .

·
Registered
177 Posts
So it takes out the "dead travel" and makes it more responsive. Does it make the throttle response less "smooth" in Normal and Sport+?

·
Registered
198 Posts
So it takes out the "dead travel" and makes it more responsive. Does it make the throttle response less "smooth" in Normal and Sport+?
Bingo!
Smooth is the key whether this thing is desirable or not; especially on track where smooth inputs are a must..

·
Registered
2 Posts
The one I have has got 3 modes - city, race and track you can adjust the sensitivity of each mode to suit your own preference.
I leave mine in city most of the time at max setting works well for me.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This one has eco, city,sport,sport plus, and 4 diff response and bluetooth and a button to turn off.Hope to install next week..

·
Registered
177 Posts
Bingo!
Smooth is the key whether this thing is desirable or not; especially on track where smooth inputs are a must..
That's the thing I don't like about "Sport" mode - the "sportier" response. Fortunately Sport+ has a smooth response for smooth inputs - really nice for the track.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts