Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From the forums it seems that there are two main options for phone mounts. One is the T-Design universal mount, which mounts by sliding the edge of a metal bracket in between the radio/nav display and the center console trim. The other is the Rennline Exact Fit, which requires you to remove the center console side trim and then attach the mount to the side trim mounting bracket.

I am concerned about how secure the T-Design mount will be over time as the only thing holding it in place is pressure, and as the materials stretch, the mount could become loose. I am also concerned that sliding in the metal bracket could cause damage. As for the Rennline mount, some of the posts have warned that removing the center console trim is very difficult and can result in broken mounting clips. While visiting a Porsche dealer I tried to remove the center console trim by hand (as shown in Rennline's installation video) and I would have had to use much more force than I was comfortable with to remove it.

I am hoping that members of the group have experience with either or both mounts and can provide information that will help me decide which one I should get. Or, if there are other options I would want to hear about those.

FWIW, I am considering getting T-Design's memory module, and I would have to pry off the center console side trim to install that. Is that something a Porsche service tech would be willing to do on the side?

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought I would use the cup holder, as well, but the bottom prong only extends about a quarter to a third of the way forward, so the phone can't sit in the cup holder unless the phone is tilted down at an unreadable angle.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I have the Rennline mount, and I'm very happy with it. It does partially block the head unit's control knob located on the right side and that's my only complaint.

Regarding removing the side panel... I found it easy to remove the first time, and the 2 times I have removed it since. 2 minute process and not as scary as you might think.

Start at the end furthest away from the dash (using a plastic interior pry tool) slowly lift the end until you can get your fingers under the trim. Then use both hands to EVENLY and carefully pop out the fasteners (i believe that there are 4) as your move your hands toward the head unit, holding the trim in place (close to the center console). Once the final fastener is released, pull the trim towards the rear of the car so that the plastic hook slides out of the pocket it fits into. The only real resistance is the last fastener (sort of a dowel) and that resistance is more like a snug fit. Once you remove the trim, you'll wonder what all the fuss was about.

One thing that was not covered in the instructions provided by Rennline is the plastic fastener that covers the top screw holding the head unit in place. When you go to remove the top screw it will be obvious what I'm talking about. The screw cover/fastener pops right out. This last fastener is the one that the dowel on the trim fits into.

The mount is very secure and works well on my iPhone 6s Plus. I have a very thin Spigen case on my phone. The mount is easy to adjust to point towards the driver and remove glare. There's also plenty of clearance for use with my iPhone's USB connector while on the mount.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Agent 86, thanks for the explanation. Still, it makes me nervous. Maybe I will ask a service tech to do it for me. So, does anyone have the T-Design mount?

·
Super Moderator
1,953 Posts
So you don't have a Bluetooth connection to the Porsche? That works fine for me, even if the phone is in the boot.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will also be using my phone for navigation so I need to have visual access to it. That is why I am asking about mounts.

Reactions: ZuffenHouseRules

·
Super Moderator
1,953 Posts
I will also be using my phone for navigation so I need to have visual access to it. That is why I am asking about mounts.
Ahhh!:)

The Australian cars come with navigation as standard.

Good luck on finding a useful mount.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The Australian cars come with navigation as standard.
As if I needed another reason to want to move to Australia! If only you guys didn't drive on the wrong side of the street. ;)

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow. That Ram Mount is quite the design. I was hoping to avoid a windshield mount, however, as I am a bit of a stickler for a clear field of vision. I really want a solution that is below the dashboard.

·
Registered
476 Posts
i don't have it yet but i will be buying the rennline mount in the spring though i'm not sure which version. i have their front license plate bracket and trackmats in my 718 for not only track time but i leave them in for normal use as well. they protect nice and look **** good in my interior with all the other metal trim. i have been going to hershey for the swap meet for the past 12 years or so and i have lots of rennline products in my '83 targa as well. they make some nice quality parts.

the rennline guys are great. last year they used my 718 to test fit the trackmats in the parking lot. no better way to find out if they fit than to test them on my car. i'll probably ask them to let me see each in my car then buy the one i prefer. rennline also gives a discount at the meet, usually 20-25% off and no shipping since you take the parts with you.

and if you have never been to hershey for the swap meet you owe yourself a trip. typically the 3rd saturday in april.

oh ya, i also have one of their tap handles...

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts