Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Fresh off a 77 mi drive from dealership yesterday. Happy to report I didn't stall it once! However, I did scrape the spoiler lip already this morning! Gotta be more careful exiting parking lots. CF trim is amazing and white gauge faces are easiest to read in bright light. Standard stereo is just ok.
. Coupl'a pics from this morning's first light. So far, so good. Loving the clutch engagement and smooth gear shifts. Hating the variable PSE exhaust that opens and closes with rpms. Ridiculous it closes until around 3800 rpms before opening again, especially during break in! This will be fixed Tues.

·
Registered
718 GT4
232 Posts
That's a very fine looking car sir. I imagine you can't wait to get through the run-in period...it's a whole new world above 4,000 rpm :)

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's a very fine looking car sir. I imagine you can't wait to get through the run-in period...it's a whole new world above 4,000 rpm :)
Yes, the run in period is agony! At least I know when to shift w/o looking at the tach. It's when it starts sounding good!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Fresh off a 77 mi drive from dealership yesterday. Happy to report I didn't stall it once! However, I did scrape the spoiler lip already this morning! Gotta be more careful exiting parking lots. CF trim is amazing and white gauge faces are easiest to read in bright light. Standard stereo is just ok. View attachment 31464 View attachment 31465 View attachment 31466 . Coupl'a pics from this morning's first light. So far, so good. Loving the clutch engagement and smooth gear shifts. Hating the variable PSE exhaust that opens and closes with rpms. Ridiculous it closes until around 3800 rpms before opening again, especially during break in! This will be fixed Tues.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Lucky you! Still waiting for mine. I got the Burmester sound system and PDK, though. How many miles make up the break in period? What is the top speed recommended during this break in period?

·
Registered
2021 Boxster
99 Posts
I think I read breakin is 4k. I could be wrong. I will start the clock in mid-June (hopefully) by exploring back roads in my new neighborhood. She's a beauty. Enjoy!

·
Registered
777 Posts
Awesome looking Cayman...thanks for the pics! Love your wheels too...now I'm completely torn between the Turbo and Carerra Sport wheels.

Reactions: Goodwood

·
Registered
123 Posts
Fresh off a 77 mi drive from dealership yesterday. Happy to report I didn't stall it once! However, I did scrape the spoiler lip already this morning! Gotta be more careful exiting parking lots. CF trim is amazing and white gauge faces are easiest to read in bright light. Standard stereo is just ok. View attachment 31464 View attachment 31465 View attachment 31466 . Coupl'a pics from this morning's first light. So far, so good. Loving the clutch engagement and smooth gear shifts. Hating the variable PSE exhaust that opens and closes with rpms. Ridiculous it closes until around 3800 rpms before opening again, especially during break in! This will be fixed Tues.
Beautiful car! Congrats!
How you going to fix the sound? Just curious.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Beautiful car! Congrats!
How you going to fix the sound? Just curious.
The exhaust sound (vs stereo)? Doing the Soul OPF? pipes and their controller so I can have it always on (or off). Had to reschedule appt for Fri vs today.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Awesome looking Cayman...thanks for the pics! Love your wheels too...now I'm completely torn between the Turbo and Carerra Sport wheels.
Those are my favourite of the optional 718 wheels too. However if I was buying a 4.0 I would dtick with the wheels that come standard with it. They look great and are unique to the car. Would have them in silver though, not black.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Awesome car, still waiting for mine. I read that you should vary the RPM's every 15 minutes if say your driving on the freeway to vary the temperature of the motor so that it breaks in at different temperatures thus different clearances.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Awesome car, still waiting for mine. I read that you should vary the RPM's every 15 minutes if say your driving on the freeway to vary the temperature of the motor so that it breaks in at different temperatures thus different clearances.
I varied the rpms on the way home from dealer 77 mi away, but it was more like every 5 mins! I seriously doubt the temp changed going from 6th to 5th to 4th, but my philosophy is to drive it normally during break in, keeping the revs down to recommended <4k +/-. At 200mi now, so have "accidently" let it go to 4500 a time or 2. Once I reach 500, I'll let it sneak up to 5k once in a while. It's going to be a lonnnng break in holding the revs down, because I typically don't put that many miles on my car with each drive. This may change, because it's going to the shop today for Soul GPF delete pipes, exhaust controller, and Numeric short shift kit.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Nice car! The 2021 Cayman owner’s manual states break-in mileage at 2,000. Suggests keeping it below 4K rpm.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Nice car! The 2021 Cayman owner’s manual states break-in mileage at 2,000. Suggests keeping it below 4K rpm.
2k break in is for US cars, ;) all others 1k. My car was made in Germany, so German break in rules.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts