Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I've had a 2002 996 and a 2011 Cayman along with 2 Audi's and 5 VWs, so I do like German cars.

I'm excited to be picking up a used 718 Boxster with 9k miles on it this Thursday. What should I be sure is with the car? They have 2 keys and the owners manual. I need to check to be sure the wheel lug nut lock key is in the car. What else?

I haven't driven it yet because it's not local to me, so I'll take it for a quick spin. 2.5 yrs warranty remains.

If anyone is curious here are the specs: 2017 guards red, PDK, black interior, 20" Carrera wheels, B-Xenon with PDLS, Power Steering Plus (not excited about this one), Nav, Bose, Connect Plus, Adaptive 18 way sport seats plus (love these!), and Premium Package Plus.

Thanks,
James

·
Registered
344 Posts
Congrats!! Sounds like a nice build. Post some pics after you get it.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Congrats and welcome!

Re power steering plus:
It's just a software that can be easily disabled by the dealer. If you purchase from a dealer and don't like it, I would have it disabled real quick before you buy it. That's when they are most motivated to do courtesy stuff like that.

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
Sounds great.....Guards, you clearly have good taste. I would see if you can get them to give you the original certificate of authenticity that Porsche sends after the purchase plus after I purchased my Cayman Porsche sent me a beautiful souvenir set to include a Porsche book, a quality pen with "Cayman" on it and a metallic card with my full name, the model (Cayman S) and the VIN#.

·
Registered
310 Posts
There have been a number of posts on this forum about the 20" wheels being prone to rock chips and deformation from hitting potholes/curbs, so I would check the wheels very carefully. Also, depending upon how the car was driven, at 9k miles the front tires, in particular, could be close to the end of their life. 992s come with a free first oil change (which is at 10k miles). Make sure that transfers to you. Oh, and make sure that you have fun and post pictures.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Yup! Sound like a nice build! Enjoy and be safe...

·
Registered
344 Posts
992s come with a free first oil change (which is at 10k miles).

I believe that's only true with the 2018 model year.

·
Super Moderator
1,887 Posts
I believe that's only true with the 2018 model year.
This is correct. 2017 do not have the first maintenance visit included in the purchase price.

Congrats, OP! Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Congrats and welcome!

Re power steering plus:
It's just a software that can be easily disabled by the dealer. If you purchase from a dealer and don't like it, I would have it disabled real quick before you buy it. That's when they are most motivated to do courtesy stuff like that.
It’s at a Toyota dealer of all places. Local trade into a Camry! I believe their story because it aligns with the carfax report. Guy from Massachusettes moved to Chicago and didn’t want the 718 as a daily.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I made the pick up in Chicago on March 29th. The Boxster is like new inside! 1-2 tiny chips in hood. Some light surface swirls in the paint if I look closely, but a little paint correction with my Griot's random orbital and they will be gone. And the rear tires were spent, so I put new ones on today.

The drive home was dicey due to the rear tires, cool temps, and wet roads. Plus I didn't get out of the dealership until about 4pm the Thursday before Good Friday. And the dealership was in Chicago...I passed the Hancock building on the way out going about 5-10 mph for over an hour!

Leaving Cleveland, my flight was to depart around 11am. Delayed due to maintenance, so I get in line at the gate after waiting awhile. Just as I request another flight on another airline, the attendant gets on the mic and says the next update is at 5pm! But I was put on an American flight (was on United originally) that was boarding in about 10 min. Made the flight, otherwise I was going to really bummed.

I'll snap some pics soon! Glad to have some good rubber on the rear!

·
Registered
6 Posts
9k miles and the rear tires spent? That's soon, right? Was he tracking the car? I'm just wondering so that I can anticipate when I may need new tires. I'm at 7k, daily driving only.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
9k miles and the rear tires spent? That's soon, right? Was he tracking the car? I'm just wondering so that I can anticipate when I may need new tires. I'm at 7k, daily driving only.
Hard to say if tracked because as I bought from a dealer. The tires are Pirelli PZ4, I believe. From what I’ve read this mileage is normal for the rears. I’m changing to Kumho ECSTA PS91. Have them on my Audi TTS and I love them.

TTS is now for sale.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts