Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

Curious to know if anyone has placed an order for a Cayman via the Porsche website, and then had it sent to their dealer. Since March 2020.

Big question, what was your wait time like? Porsche says 6 months, I am having a hard time believing that. All three dealerships in Southern Ontario have no new cars for sale. No 911s, and no 718s. So clearly there is a massive production problem in Germany.

Anyone have any hard evidence to report? As in, your ordered on X date, and you got your car on Y date?

Thanks
DC

Registered
We placed an order for a Boxster S on 1/8/21 and were initially given a delivery date in early June, then moved to July, and today it was moved to early August 馃槱

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We placed an order for a Boxster S on 1/8/21 and were initially given a delivery date in early June, then moved to July, and today it was moved to early August 馃槱
Ah yes, so you will be well outside of the 6 mos delivery window. Thanks, anyone else?

Registered
I ordered April 20, 2021 and was told anywhere from January-May 2022. I鈥檓 also in Southern Ontario if you are referring to Ontario, Canada and not Ontario, California.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I ordered April 20, 2021 and was told anywhere from January-May 2022. I鈥檓 also in Southern Ontario if you are referring to Ontario, Canada and not Ontario, California.

Yes sir, Southern Ontario. So you're basically a year out.

Registered
My order is with the London dealership, keep us informed on what you hear from any other dealers.

Registered
Seems similar to mid-late 2000s. Porsche would limit their production run of mid-engine cars to 鈥渪鈥 number for the model year and once that number was reached potential buyers had to queue up for the subsequent year. Seem if one had potential buyers you would make more cars, but Porsche has not been conventional with their sport car business plan. Now if you want a Macan, that seems to be a different matter.

Registered
Greetings,

Curious to know if anyone has placed an order for a Cayman via the Porsche website, and then had it sent to their dealer. Since March 2020.

Big question, what was your wait time like? Porsche says 6 months, I am having a hard time believing that. All three dealerships in Southern Ontario have no new cars for sale. No 911s, and no 718s. So clearly there is a massive production problem in Germany.

Anyone have any hard evidence to report? As in, your ordered on X date, and you got your car on Y date?

Thanks
DC
Hi, I ordered my GTS 4.0 Cayman in January this year and it is currently on the boat due in Australia mid June. For reference the build was complete late April. So, pretty good really.

Registered
Signed my boxster contract (pre-allocation) in oct 20

Still waiting to be called for allocation and lock configuration.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Seems similar to mid-late 2000s. Porsche would limit their production run of mid-engine cars to 鈥渪鈥 number for the model year and once that number was reached potential buyers had to queue up for the subsequent year. Seem if one had potential buyers you would make more cars, but Porsche has not been conventional with their sport car business plan. Now if you want a Macan, that seems to be a different matter.
Yeah Macans are plentiful here at the dealers.

Registered
'18 718 CS, Pdk, Night Blue met. Agate grey int. 14 way H/V seats20" Carrera, PSE, PrmPkg
We'll .. if all the allocations are sold to customers for custom orders, makes sense there's no "in showroom" availability.

Doesn't necessarily directly imply ongoing production blockage.
Covid+Silicon factors exist, but seems the deliveries are coming. (4.0 engine as well if you're waiting on those).

Pricing - All a wash for existing owners unless you don't want to stay in-brand.
Otherwise, a frustrating time for newcomers.
Likely (sticker and actual) prices for new will rise given sell-through this year.

Registered
2021 718 Cayman GTS 4.0 (On order; expected delivery in July '21)
My GTS 4.0 order, placed at the end of January with no allocation, locked on 27 March and has actually moved up from the initial early July delivery to late May.

Registered
Hence the difficulty of bargaining for a car that is available today on the lot. Waiting 6+ months could mean a year, depending on how miserable the weather is in the winter. How much money is a missing year worth?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
They have nothing at all. Only SUVs & taycans in new & used
Check the Porsche Canada website, it will show stock at all Canadian dealers

Same for Vaughn, downtown, and North York. Why are the 911s and 718s all selling, and the Macans are so plentiful?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hence the difficulty of bargaining for a car that is available today on the lot. Waiting 6+ months could mean a year, depending on how miserable the weather is in the winter. How much money is a missing year worth?
I am keeping mine just for this reason.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I am keeping mine just for this reason.
On another note, prices of used 718 seem to have appreciated quite substantially. The ones I am seeing on auto trader are 15-20K more than what I paid for my 2018. And I have the Porsche extended unlimited miles warranty that adds on two years, once the factor warranty expires. Kinda crazy.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts