Porsche 718 Forum banner

Planet9

12K views 29 replies 15 participants last post by  Sonny 
I believe that the mission of planet 9 is to denigrate the 718 for a number of reasons - trying to keep the resale value of their older 98x cars higher; trying to embarrass Porsche into bringing back the flat 6; cannot accept that time and progress marches on. All other reasons that they keep that "worst review" thread open are total B.S.

And the comment, "if you don't like the thread, don't read it" is also pure B.S. Say a person that is potentially considering a 718 goes to planet 9 for information - what do they see? A bunch of relatively useless short threads and one thread that has 1600+ replies and goes on for pages about how sucky the 718 is. What would the 718 prospect think?

I've owned 986/987/981 Caymans and Boxsters. My most recent Cayman was a 981 GTS. I've also owned many 911's and most recently a 991 Turbo S and a generation 1 Audi R8 V10 Plus. I got rid of the high powered, expensive cars because the GTS was just so much **** fun and the 560hp of the Turbo and the R8 became more about "bragging rights" than usefulness. But when I drove the 718 S, I thought it had the best of both worlds - fine power, but in that amazingly good chassis. Torque was what was lacking in the 981 GTS, not that it was a slow car, but in order to feel its power, you had to be over 5000 rpm and that's also when it makes that wonderful flat 6 wail. But, where I live in NJ, running around the congested highways at high RPM is just not practical. I greatly prefer the torque characteristics of the 718 S over the 981 GTS for my driving needs. BTW, I find the sound of the 718 is fine - just different - more guttural and less of a wail. The 718 S is an improvement in virtually every way over my GTS. My new 718 Boxster S will be in my hands next week and I couldn't be more excited.

I hope more actual owners of 718's find this website and abandon Planet 9 so that prospective owners can get a real understanding of the car. BTW, 718 bashing by auto journalists seems to be mostly from U.K. reviewers and mostly old news. As more journalists have gotten past the "sound" issue, the brilliance of the 718 seems to be winning out.

Wow. That's some list of cars.
I don't hold on to cars for long. The R8 was the first non-Porsche sports car that I owned in the last 10 years. Talk about an engine and sound! I traded it in for the 991 Turbo S, because I missed Porsche steering and handling. I drove the Cayman and realized it was all I needed for my recreational driving here in crowded NJ. Very high powered, expensive cars just don't make sense to me anymore.

I made this observation in a post some time ago on Planet 9: It appeared that the number of posts by a given poster and the vehemence of dislike for the 718 are directly proportional. It seems that when someone has thousands of 98x posts under their belt (and in the case of the administrator, over 10000), they may have an "axe to grind".

I sent a private e-mail to the founder of the site and suggested that it would make sense to move the "worst 718 review" thread to the 98x board and let us 718 owners happily post in peace. It was rejected. Then I suggested that they move that EVO "worst" article with all the other review articles, after all it's just one opinion. It was rejected.

I was told the purpose of the thread was to give people (i.e, 98x owners) a place to put all their negativity rather than pollute the other threads on the 718 site. I guess you can say that it worked - they sure got alot of 98x aficionados to vent their spleens. The irony was when we were told that we could not post positive reviews on the "worst" thread.

I predict that they will not need a 718 subsite in the future, since anyone who appreciates the 718 will find other places to find like-minded people to share real information about the their cars.

... There is no reason that Planet9 would become a ghost town. I found this new forum by accident today and was excite but let the cross forum bashing go.
P9 will not never be a ghost town because there are literally thousands of 98x owners who will continue to seek information about their cars on that site. Whether it becomes a 718 ghost town depends on whether the site offers useful information about the 718, or is simply a venting place for flat 6 owners to disparage the 718. The "market" (us) will decide whether the P9 718 sub-site has any value. So far, I have found this site (718 Forum) less active, but more useful, since it is populated by actual 718 owners and prospective owners.

It's possible P9 negative posters have had their say in the "worst review" thread. I mean, how many times can you say that the 718 doesn't sound as good as the 98x, or that the 718 is a diabolic plot by Porsche to improve 911 sales?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.