Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I am having a ‘debate‘ with my OPC (in the UK) about the actual age of the pre-registered BS I purchased in September last year. The car was older than I had realised, my fault for not asking the most obvious question!

According to VIN analytics, the car Production Date was March 26, 2018 which I put to the OPC, their response was;
“Our records show your vehicle started production in March 2018 but was not completed until October 2018, when it was delivered to the UK. Please note we consider the age from the time it finished production, rather than when it started. Therefore we would not consider the vehicle 18 months old at the time you took delivery, but instead 11 months old.”

This sounds like complete nonsense to me so am seeking your opinions...

thanks

·
Super Moderator
1,528 Posts
My car has Porsche's production date in the left hand door opening.
That's not going to help with your dealer though—they obviously have a method that benefits them.
Of course if it just sat in Germany for months and wasn't registered or driven then I'm not sure what the issue is.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response.

It is not necessarily an issue, I just want to know how old the car physically is, as in when would it have rolled off the production line. I accept it has been sitting around someplace in the intervening period

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi Alex. What date stamp is on the tyres ? If you look in the toolbox kit and puncture repair kit in the trunk you will see date stickers. In my experience the tyre dates and date stickers on equipment are a good indication of build date.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Mark

Thanks - I’ve previously checked the tyre date stamp - it is 2718, but the extra curiosity here is that the wheels have changed since it left the factory and before I purchased it (therefore the tyre stamp is not conclusive). According to vin details it had carrera s wheels at manufacture not the carrera classics it is now on. The rest of the spec is correct according to the vin - no idea why the wheels were changed. Should also say it only had 30 miles on it when I got it.

I’ll have a look at the puncture/toolkit dates...

·
Registered
38 Posts
its not unheard of for the wheels to be swapped. If a buyer of another car in stock wanted Carrara S wheels instead of Carrera classics then the dealership might swap them to get the sale. Have a look at the date stamps on the equipment in the frunk . It could be that your car was a static showroom demo car. Dealerships don’t normally hold new cars in stock for too long as they usually have to be paid for after 3 months.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I also think your Classics suit the agate grey better than the Carerra S wheels and would have cost about £400 more. I had 20” Carerra S wheels on my agate grey 981 but often looked at the Classics and wished I had specced them instead.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I prefer the Classics too, especially as the original S wheels were in black.

Does the production date on the vin not mean that is the day manufacture was complete?
The kits in the frunk are both dated 9th March 18.

Regarding it being in stock, it arrived in the UK in October 18, wasn’t (pre) registered until mid August 19 and I got it early September 19. It had delivery miles on it and in the sales photos I was sent prior to purchase, it didn’t even have number plates on it.

DIH - I didn realise that Porsches had 7 month gestation periods 😂

·
Registered
616 Posts
Personally I feel the date the car rolled off the production line would be the date of manufacture, not the date that manufacturing started.

If we apply the same reasoning to your warranty period. Which date would you prefer, the earlier one or the later one?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I wonder if your car was a cancelled customer order. Seems a bit of an odd original spec as black wheels with agate body would look mis matched. I wonder if that is why it did not sell and the dealership decided to swap the wheels to make it look more attractive.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
All I want to know is when the car was completed being built - is it 26 March 2018?

Not really relevant to my original question but the full 3 year warranty started from when I purchased the car in Sept 19, so that‘s all good.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I wonder if your car was a cancelled customer order. Seems a bit of an odd original spec as black wheels with agate body would look mis matched. I wonder if that is why it did not sell and the dealership decided to swap the wheels to make it look more attractive.
Could be - it didn‘t look right in the configurator (well to me anyway)

Nice boxster T btw

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
All I want to know is when the car was completed being built - is it 26 March 2018?

Not really relevant to my original question but the full 3 year warranty started from when I purchased the car in Sept 19, so that‘s all good.
Why don't you see if the dealership will get you a Porsche Production Specifications document for free. I think if you get it the cost is US $200.

·
Registered
616 Posts

I believe my point about the warranty start date is relevant in that you expect your warranty date to start when you take delivery of the vehicle (i.e. the completion of the transaction process), which I think most would agree is as it should be, yet you expect the manufacture date to reflect the beginning of the manufacture process, not the completion thereof; which in my opinion is inaccurate in that a car can only be considered to be "manufactured" once it is a complete car.

Now, with that in mind, let's revert to the reason for your question. Why are you having a debate with your dealer about the "actual age" of your car? Do you feel the dealer has misrepresented the age of the car and that you have been overcharged as a result?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi Chris. I think Alex is not concerned about his warranty as that will in the U.K. start when the car is first registered irrespective of build date. I think Alex is more concerned about where the car has been languishing for the period between its build and eventual first registration. When looking at my Vin all I can tell is the model year and not the actual build date - my vin shows my car is a MY 20. My car was first registered at the end of December 2019.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Hi Mark, I do not think the warranty is an issue and am merely using that as a comparison to build dates, in that a warranty doesn't start until you take ownership; similarly a car is not "manufactured" until it is actually built. Referring back to Alex's original post, the age of the car is clearly the issue:

"I am having a ‘debate‘ with my OPC (in the UK) about the actual age of the pre-registered BS I purchased in September last year. The car was older than I had realised, my fault for not asking the most obvious question!

The only reason I can think of for someone wanting to prove their car was older than they had realised would be to facilitate a "correction" in the sale price.

·
Super Moderator
1,528 Posts
<snip>The only reason I can think of for someone wanting to prove their car was older than they had realised would be to facilitate a "correction" in the sale price.
It could also make a difference in the re-sale price.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi Mark, I do not think the warranty is an issue and am merely using that as a comparison to build dates, in that a warranty doesn't start until you take ownership; similarly a car is not "manufactured" until it is actually built. Referring back to Alex's original post, the age of the car is clearly the issue:

"I am having a ‘debate‘ with my OPC (in the UK) about the actual age of the pre-registered BS I purchased in September last year. The car was older than I had realised, my fault for not asking the most obvious question!

The only reason I can think of for someone wanting to prove their car was older than they had realised would be to facilitate a "correction" in the sale price.
Hi

Thanks for the responses. Yes, it is exactly that - the debate is about how old the car actually was when purchased and therefore what its true market value should be, as in, did I overpay?

As presented to me, I assumed it to be maybe a few months old. The dealer didn’t mention its age and I, stupidly, didn’t ask. The car was obviously quite well discounted but was it enough...

The actual issue only came to light last month when the car requested its 2 year service on a car I thought was maybe 15 months old. A call to the service department revealed it had actually arrived in the UK in October 18 so was nearly a year old when purchased and the vin data says March 18, making it 18 months old.

I raised a complaint with Porsche UK and the OPC and they have paid for the ‘early’ service but the debate continues about the price paid against its true age.

The short answer is probably that I should ‘suck it up’ as I didn’t ask the key question and car dealers are, well, car dealers...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi Alex. Can you tell me how you can work out the build date from the VIN as I can only see the model year on my VIN.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts