Porsche 718 Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Hi Alex. Can you tell me how you can work out the build date from the VIN as I can only see the model year on my VIN.
I came across this link that someone else on this forum had highlighted, so I just plugged my VIN into it, assume you can do the same...

https://vinanalytics.com

Also to answer your earlier comment - I have been wondering where my ‘new’ car had been languishing for the 18 months prior to my purchase, hopefully not out in the elements, not ideal for a convertible 🙄

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I get that mine is a Boxster built in 1990 !
I've seen before on here before that VIN Analytics is a U.S. (maybe Canada?) site.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Hi

Thanks for the responses. Yes, it is exactly that - the debate is about how old the car actually was when purchased and therefore what its true market value should be, as in, did I overpay?

As presented to me, I assumed it to be maybe a few months old. The dealer didn’t mention its age and I, stupidly, didn’t ask. The car was obviously quite well discounted but was it enough...

The actual issue only came to light last month when the car requested its 2 year service on a car I thought was maybe 15 months old. A call to the service department revealed it had actually arrived in the UK in October 18 so was nearly a year old when purchased and the vin data says March 18, making it 18 months old.

I raised a complaint with Porsche UK and the OPC and they have paid for the ‘early’ service but the debate continues about the price paid against its true age.

The short answer is probably that I should ‘suck it up’ as I didn’t ask the key question and car dealers are, well, car dealers...
In my opinion the key dates are (1) the Model Year and (2) the date of first registration. These are also key factors when it comes time to re-sell, whereas I don't think the date the vehicle started manufacture is. The build date is really only important in that it determines the Model Year. The fact that the car requested its 2 year service in October would also support the view that October is the build date, otherwise your car would have requested it in March.

I do find the service interval issue interesting though and feel that Porsche have done the right thing there.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I signed up for vinanalytics but it does not work for my car for some reason.
I always assumed vinanalytics was for US cars only. I know I tried my VIN and came up empty-handed.
EDIT: i've just tried it again and the only info it offers is that my car is a 1989 Porsche, which is most definitely isn't, but the letter for 1989 (K) is the same for 2019, so that is obviously what it is picking up, but nothing else

The website stuttcars.com have a manual VIN decoder that allows you to decode the VIN, which includes your MY. They also offer a deep dive option code report for a fee that will provide all the option codes related to your VIN. I bought one of these and found it very interesting. My car had almost 100 option codes associated with it going so far as to provide the option code for the colours of the valve caps and wheel weights. It doesn't provide the month of manufacture though.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I came across this link that someone else on this forum had highlighted, so I just plugged my VIN into it, assume you can do the same...

https://vinanalytics.com

Also to answer your earlier comment - I have been wondering where my ‘new’ car had been languishing for the 18 months prior to my purchase, hopefully not out in the elements, not ideal for a convertible 🙄
Can’t help but jump into the interesting but unbelievable situation. Something is not stacking up.

It is likely that the car you have purchased is actually a Porsche/OPCs own vehicle. They are never in a rush as those cars are built for internal use or display or as replacement vehicles for other customers. I am on my fifth one so I can confidently say there is usually something different about the Porsche’s own vehicles. For e.g I had one used Porsche which had specs not seen on the configurator.
It could be that the one you purchased was ordered at date x but completed the build at date y with no customer urgency. The service pop ups are not really relevant and yes if you have purchased a used vehicle that needed servicing your OPC has been professional to take the hit.
I honestly wouldn’t worry about the age of conceiving vs age of birth. As long as it received TLC. There is nothing dodgy with Porsche UK or it’s OPCs. Been a customer for 15 years now.

check this video from a guy I know in US who works for Porsche, you should be able to figure out the DNA of your own vehicle.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Great Thanks
But probably we are looking for a website or similar to know which is the “Bill Of Material” of our cars with the details of optional, etc etc, it is available for examples for Mercedes, BMW, etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
616 Posts
Great Thanks
But probably we are looking for a website or similar to know which is the “Bill Of Material” of our cars with the details of optional, etc etc, it is available for examples for Mercedes, BMW, etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Purchase an equipment code report from Stuttcars.com it will give you every single option code linked to your vehicle (mine had almost 100 option codes linked to it). They cost around 20 Euro.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts