Porsche 718 Forum banner

61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
. . . if you value a very linear power delivery then 981 is the answer. The sport and sport plus do a good job of getting the torque delivery more linear but power is still a little less linear than 981 (and I don’t think you would enjoy daily driving with sport sport plus engaged constantly- keeps the revs up to ameliorate turbo feel).

I can't imagine a more "linear" power curve than that of the 982. Or torque curve. They're both linear; they just have different slopes. They are both considerably more linear in the 982 than the 981. And the 982 gives you considerably more of each. Oh, if only that made for a superior sports car motor . . .

I can't imagine enjoying daily driving any car in Drive. I don't know how the PDK programming control in Drive differs between the 981 and the 982. And I hardly know how it behaves in my 982, because I hardly ever use it. I'm in Sport+ most of the time; then Sport when I don't mind the auditory histrionics; then almost never in Normal. And when I'm in Normal, I'm probably in Driver, and the car is a slug.

If one doesn't enjoy the 982's "unengaging wall of torque", one can shift the **** car to get away from it. If the 982's "unengaging wall of torque" is insufficient to overcome the 982's "horrible turbo lag", then one can shift the **** car, and be on one's way. They'd be going a lot faster then - oh, if only that made for a superior sports car . . . If one loves the need to "wring the neck" of their 981, one can enjoy the option to "wring the neck" of their 982.

·
Registered
414 Posts
There’s no doubt the torque from new turbos is linear. Particularly the twin turbos. I think the single turbos are still a bit less smooth.

So “smooth” is what I think most people really mean when they say “ linear”. It is a complete misnomer. Many of us remember the old turbos where you would mash the throttle and just...wait...wait..,wait...and then get this kick in the pants. No modern turbos that I know of are anywhere like that behavior. They are mostly direct and smooth, if you keep the revs up.

Clearly the guys in the video are a couple of knuckleheads. I c ouldn’t care less what they think. I wouldn’t go out for a beer with these clowns, and at a party would probably be on the other side of the room, trying to avoid listening to their loud, dramatic story embellishments while they look for attention.

They seem needy. Something about their videos that make me feel they aren’t so much trying to inform and help others but rather seeking attention. Felt this way long before they made the 718 video.

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
All:

Just drive both and buy what you like. I bought my 718 CGTS on the day of my 4-mile test drive.

patent: I'm a very pale white boy. Convertibles are not a good idea for me. I'm challenged by sunroofs! ...and I like the extra chassis stiffness that you get with a coupe.

The used 981 I considered was boring by comparison..I preferred my hopped-up Gen 1 to it.

For me, a 718 is 3 levels better than either of them in every direction.

Handling wasn't as good on either car as 718. Comfort isn't even close and the extra power is just so much fun. I put a Softronic flash on mine for 435HP. Now it's gone from stonking good to spectacular. A stock 718 GTS is a terrific vehicle. I was over the moon about mine...but then I had to quarantine for 14 days. Idle mind and a credit card...Flashed or not, 718 is much better to drive than the year newer 911 I had for a few months.

I wish these turbos had more engine braking. I enjoyed steering the back wheels with that at track days on the Gen 1. I'm still tempted by a '12 Cayman R or Spyder. I think one of those would be really fun for track days.

The sound isn't bad, is just not my favorite mechanical music. I like it best either when I'm flogging it or driving very slow and easy. With soundaktor fuse pulled, It can sound like an old VW bug...which I kinda like. It makes a nice cruiser, especially with both windows fully open, ...and then you have the warp drive and ear-bleeding turning power when opportunity knocks.

It's a complete and very enjoyable car in stock form. If you get a little bored with that, get a good flash. I think my Softronic is great and I could do it myself. I also like APR features. I think the power of the two are about the same and both would have nice driving dynamics. I'd have to go to a VW dealer to get the APR flash.

I went to Putnam Park last year for a 3 day track weekend. Car was stock except for Pagid brakes and fresh fluid. I took it easy because the car was still very new to me. It was faster on the stock Eagle F1s than my heavily modded '06 and easier to drive due to the rev-matching feature. I've had mine a year now, put on 13,xxx miles and I'm still excited about driving it.

You can make a 981 into a pretty great car but my car runs through the car wash...can't do that with 305 rears and a fixed wing. With the flash, it is actually a little faster than a stock GT4, although lack of ground fx and fat rubber would be a massive disadvantage at track days. I do one weekend per year, generally, and probably zero this year, so no biggie. .

:alien:

·
Registered
257 Posts
First: I am a man, I know it is my choice. But, I am curious to hear from anyone their opinion on why to buy 718 S/GTS over the 981 S/GTS. Humor me. Please. ----------------------------------
Owner of '17 BMW M2
So, where are your thoughts now . . .

·
Registered
742 Posts
Haha. 95% sure on the 982 now. Good feedback by all. Now its S or GTS. I think prices will drop late summer even more.
Buy now, spend a bit more but enjoy your car while it's beautiful sunny weather.
Disregard this if you live where it's always that way. Here in New England summer is short!☺

·
Registered
353 Posts
Now its S or GTS. I think prices will drop late summer even more.
Not sure they will. I saw an article in the Wall Street Journal yesterday stating that low inventory is translating to low discounts for many of the major brands. I understand Porsche is different than a major brand, but they have not been building 718's for a while. Wait at your own peril. My opinion: COVID fades into the rear view mirror day by day.

·
Registered
610 Posts
View attachment 26840

I can't imagine a more "linear" power curve than that of the 982. Or torque curve. They're both linear; they just have different slopes. They are both considerably more linear in the 982 than the 981. And the 982 gives you considerably more of each. Oh, if only that made for a superior sports car motor . . .

I can't imagine enjoying daily driving any car in Drive. I don't know how the PDK programming control in Drive differs between the 981 and the 982. And I hardly know how it behaves in my 982, because I hardly ever use it. I'm in Sport+ most of the time; then Sport when I don't mind the auditory histrionics; then almost never in Normal. And when I'm in Normal, I'm probably in Driver, and the car is a slug.

If one doesn't enjoy the 982's "unengaging wall of torque", one can shift the ** car to get away from it. If the 982's "unengaging wall of torque" is insufficient to overcome the 982's "horrible turbo lag", then one can shift the ** car, and be on one's way. They'd be going a lot faster then - oh, if only that made for a superior sports car . . . If one loves the need to "wring the neck" of their 981, one can enjoy the option to "wring the neck" of their 982.
Really good illustration! The turbo motor is actually more linear than the NA one.

Certainly in the old days turbo engines were a little non-linear but these days nearly all modern turbo engines feel linear and generally you wouldn't know they are turbo, particualrly with variable turbine geometry and pre-spooling.

I used to have an old 2001 V6 Audi b-turbo and the sudden push when the turbos kicked in was quite exhilarating and with the 4WD it had so much mechanical grip that it could handle the sudden boost.

The 718 GTS or S doesn't have that and really pushes from low revs all the way to the redline like shown in the graph above.

Arguably, you can save a bit on the 981s and they are still a great car (near identical platform), but they are underpowered, GTS didn't come standard with PTV/LSD, and the 982/718 platform has a number of refinements that offer much better performance, but of course generally at a higher cost.

For more 981 reviews I would be getting on Renlist and talking to those guys:

61 - 69 of 69 Posts