Porsche 718 Forum banner

Do you have any PPF on your 718?

• Yes, I have at least partial coverage

• No, nothing on mine

Poll: Do you have any PPF on your 718?

3434 Views 97 Replies 55 Participants Last post by  Eagle01
I'm just curious of the percentage of people who have/haven't opted for Paint Protection Film. Vote away, thank you! (y)
Reactions: 1
1 - 20 of 98 Posts
I have a partial front PPF and for me it's most cost effective way to cover exposed areas of my Porsche. I covered the front bumper as well as the front of the hood and a small portion on the side. It has offer protection from most road debris and my Porsche is still looking like new. You really don't need a full PPF it's a complete waste of money in area's you most unlikely to have any problems. If there is any damage it will come from the front bumper and hood that's what's facing the road. The doors, rear and top is definatly not neccesary unless you have money to waste. Below is an example of PPF what is covered on my vehicle.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive lighting
See less See more
Reactions: 3
I have partial as well, in the front like the picure above but I also have the rocker panel and rear flare as that gets beaten up badly by debris. I'm surprised Porsche Wolfe didn't get his rear flares covered but maybe some 911s come with some factory protection there. On a cayman I would add the one piece rocker panel and fender flare area if you do the front.
Reactions: 3
Absolutely zero PPF.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Reactions: 5
It would be useful to expand the poll to include a selection of the PPF coverage chosen, with choices like:
  1. Partial front
  2. Full front
  3. Track pack (full front, rockers and rear flares)
  4. Full coverage
I’m guessing full front would account for about 40%, 30% for the track pack, 20% for partial front and 10% full coverage.
  • Helpful
We are getting partial front including the headlights and side mirrors. Last night my wife and I went out, almost took the Boxster (getting PPF next week) but decided on the TT RS which has PPF. A dump truck went by on a back road and gravel kicked up and peppered the front end. Couple tiny nicks in the windshield but could have been a lot worse without the PPF.
It would be useful to expand the poll to include a selection of the PPF coverage chosen, with choices like:
  1. Partial front
  2. Full front
  4. Full coverage
I’m guessing full front would account for about 40%, 30% for the track pack, 20% for partial front and 10% full coverage.
Yes, I initially did the front bumper, rocker/rear flares/rear splash area only but took some damage to the hood, so went back a few months later and added the hood and fenders so the whole front is done like most others. I agree BobS selections are probably more helpful for you.
  1. Partial front(bumper)
  2. Full front (bumper and fenders and hood)
  4. Full coverage
(y)

Another thing I have learned with the Cayman is that it is very low and this makes for some unique things. Since there is no engine in front, the hoodline is lower than many cars so it seems to take a bit more damage than my other normal cars that have a big grill in front and taller. That is why I originally only went for front bumper and rocker/rear flares. In my normal cars this had served me well but the Cayman I was taking more damage past the bumper. It also has taken more chips to windshield and I now have a chip just above the top of the windshield despite the PPF.
My used CS came with a semi partial install. Half of the hood and half of each front fender, the front facing surfaces of both side mirrors and that's it. Really strange concept and one I'm sort of ok with other than there is no protection at all on the front bumper, and now there are probably too many minor imperfections/roughness there to have it installed and still look decent without a total repaint. I should probably get an estimate for the work anyway because I believe the film is original to the car (a November 2016 build / early 2017 sale) and is beginning to show it's age.

Note that the bumper looks pristine, but a wipe with a microfiber will reveal a bit of roughness here and there that I suspect will show as bubbles under a PFF install. My fear may be groundless as I'm no expert. I really need to get a professional opinion lol.
Track pack for me Marco. You'll be better off if you get the side skirts and rear flares done. I've just turned over 8000 miles and mine are starting to show signs of wear. I'll probably give them about another 10-15k and they'll need changing.
  • Helpful
Reactions: 2
My current plan is front bumper, rear bumper, side skirts (rocker panels) and bonnet (hood).

The annoying thing is I can't get booked in for a month yet, so it will probably look like it's been shot-blasted on the M20 by that point! :(
Both of my 718s have had a full-front PPF. My GT4 also has the "track pack" with the rocker panels and partial rear bumper in PPF.
My current plan is front bumper, rear bumper, side skirts (rocker panels) and bonnet (hood).

The annoying thing is I can't get booked in for a month yet, so it will probably look like it's been shot-blasted on the M20 by that point! :(
I went to the "Premier" place that everyone wants to go to. New Lambos, Ferraris outside by the dozens. Flashy facility, Ford GTS like like they were Ford Fiestas. The Porsche dealer uses them which is how I ended up there. I waited over a month since this was such a hot place. They did a very, very good job and I have nothing bad to say about the work but over time I had issues with them answering phones or emails and went in in person to make an appointment to bring my car in for a detail. Later when I needed a redo due to damage I put on the PPF, no one would reply so I got a quote from a different place. The new place answered the phone, gave me prompt quotes by email and were trying to earn my business. I had questions about changing the PPF brand so I went in person back to the "IN" place and there was new person there and I finally got the quote for a the same price, but at that point I realized that at the 'In' place it felt like I they would be doing me a favor and I realized that I dreaded going there. So I decided to try the other place. They did more than I expected for the same price. They removed the damaged PPF, offered to touch up and buff the damage before reapplying the new PPF. I waited less, got more and enjoyed going there more.

So if you don't mind the wait at the "IN" places, fo for it, they do good work, but for me I found something close with shorter waits and I don't dread going there.
See less See more

Get the wings done as well Marco. They're just as prone to chips as everything else. You may also want to consider the headlights but there is a thread on that. You could always ask your PPF installer for some off cuts and just cover the bumper with it for the time being. Just a thought.

Has the car arrived?
Has the car arrived?
It's in the UK, should be collecting in about 8 or 9 days - apparently.

I don't think the wings have enough surface area to justify PPF, originally I only wanted the bonnet and front bumper done, so I'm already £1100 over budget.

Car Vehicle Wheel Hood Automotive lighting
See less See more
I have partial as well, in the front like the picure above but I also have the rocker panel and rear flare as that gets beaten up badly by debris. I'm surprised Porsche Wolfe didn't get his rear flares covered but maybe some 911s come with some factory protection there. On a cayman I would add the one piece rocker panel and fender flare area if you do the front.
Count me as "Ditto"

Safe your money on the rear bumper it's needless unless you are planning to drive backwards very fast. :LOL:
Safe your money on the rear bumper it's needless unless you are planning to drive backwards very fast. :LOL:
I have to leave my car out on the street, my current BMW has lots of rear end (corner) scuffs from my neighbours who can't parallel park!
  • Sad
Reactions: 2
I think that my question fits well in this round here.

In July I will have the front and the side skirts of my CGTS wrapped with PPF. For cost reasons I have decided against ceramic coating the non-wrapped areas (everyone has a budget).

My concern now is that the painted parts without PPF will "fade" over the years as they are directly exposed to UV rays, unlike the parts that have PPF.

Is my fear reasonable?
I have to leave my car out on the street, my current BMW has lots of rear end (corner) scuffs from my neighbours who can't parallel park!
Got It makes sense (y)
1 - 20 of 98 Posts