Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

A test mule Porsche 718 Boxster GTS was spotted lapping the Nürburgring by AutoBlog and the photos reveal some of the difference between it and the outgoing Boxster S.

Vehicles equipped with a GTS package and badge isn’t anything new, Porsche already has the 911 and the Cayenne, both of which are selling very well, and they’re planning to add the 718 Boxster to the family. The reason why GTS models sells like hot cakes is because they’re genuinely a great deal compared to what you would normally pay if the features were added separately.

We don’t know what changes Porsche has made under the hood, but we can see a new front fascia on the test vehicle, one with a lower grille that stretches from one side of the bumper to the other and there even an aero device that looks similar to the one found on a Ferrari 458 Italia. As for the side profile and rear, those areas seems to be the same.

Once on sale, we can expect to see a boosted 2.5-liter turbocharged boxer four-cylinder engine, delivering more than the standard 350 horsepower and 309 pound-feet of torque. Maybe we’ll even see a few suspension and brake upgrades to cope with the extra power.

·
Premium Member
1,887 Posts
A test mule Porsche 718 Boxster GTS was spotted lapping the Nürburgring by AutoBlog and the photos reveal some of the difference between it and the outgoing Boxster S.

Vehicles equipped with a GTS package and badge isn’t anything new, Porsche already has the 911 and the Cayenne, both of which are selling very well, and they’re planning to add the 718 Boxster to the family. The reason why GTS models sells like hot cakes is because they’re genuinely a great deal compared to what you would normally pay if the features were added separately.

We don’t know what changes Porsche has made under the hood, but we can see a new front fascia on the test vehicle, one with a lower grille that stretches from one side of the bumper to the other and there even an aero device that looks similar to the one found on a Ferrari 458 Italia. As for the side profile and rear, those areas seems to be the same.

Once on sale, we can expect to see a boosted 2.5-liter turbocharged boxer four-cylinder engine, delivering more than the standard 350 horsepower and 309 pound-feet of torque. Maybe we’ll even see a few suspension and brake upgrades to cope with the extra power.
There's some pretty bad misinformation in that piece:
- Since when is the Boxster S being discontinued?
- All sources up to this point have said that the GTS will be getting a NA flat six. Is this now debunking that?
- That 'front fascia' is actually the Sport Design front fascia available on any 718 right now. You'd think the chaps at AutoBlog would be hip to that. Guess not ...

#fail

·
Registered
104 Posts
I dont know what sources you had. I never heard something credible of a flat six in the 718 GTS.
There where some dreams some time ago....

Same engine as in the S only a few horses more.

·
Registered
211 Posts
- All sources up to this point have said that the GTS will be getting a NA flat six. Is this now debunking that?
- That 'front fascia' is actually the Sport Design front fascia available on any 718 right now. You'd think the chaps at AutoBlog would be hip to that. Guess not ...

#fail
- I'd be surprised if the S is being discontinued - is it the word "outgoing" in the headline that made you think so? If so, I think that is just bad word choice
- The GT4 is rumored to have a N/A flat 6. If the 718 GTS is anything like the 981 GTS, it will probably add around 15 hp to the S's 350
- What will be interesting is what they will do with the exhaust sound, if anything. Standard PSE, or some enhanced version?

·
892 Posts

#fail
Indeed, it's a very poor article. The GTS models generally sell alongside the other models & not replace them & there's no information that I've seen to suggest anything different in this case. I'd also agree that the picture just looks like a car that's been fitted with the sport design fascia. However, where did you get the impression that the GTS would be a flat six? I've never seen anything to suggest that & neither does it follow the usual path for a GTS. They're usually more of a bargain way of obtaining a higher spec car with a little extra performance & with a few other tweaks including stylistic changes to differentiate the appearance & further sweeten the deal. Make no mistake, for all the negativity in the press about the sound of the turbocharged fours, in real world performance they absolutely trounce the normally aspirated flat six equipped 981 models they replaced. I suspect that fact alone would make using a normally aspirated flat six in a GTS model uneconomically viable as they need to best the performance of the "S" model without it becoming astronomically expensive to produce & sell. If they have to hugely increase the price of the car then it becomes no longer a GTS. They can't opt to equip the car with a flat six turbo either, as it simply won't fit. That pretty much means that if we are to see a six of any description in a 718 then it'll probably have to wait for the next Spyder & GT4 models. They'll no doubt want to increase performance over the last models with their 3.8 litre engines, they always do. But being as a 2.5 litre 718 Boxster S was only just over 2 secs slower per lap around the Nurburgring than the last GT4 then they'll also feel the need to increase that performance by a considerable margin (presumably the 718 Cayman S would be slightly closer again). Maybe an uprated 3.8 or 4 litre flat six & a lot of weight saving measures? I have a feeling that if that's the route they go down, then the result is going to be considerably more expensive than the last models because of the need to stretch out that gap.

·
Registered
104 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
I'd like to see the full list of options the GTS includes. From the pricing it is about $15K over the S Models. So hopefully you'll get every sport option you can with that.

·
892 Posts
I'd like to see the full list of options the GTS includes. From the pricing it is about $15K over the S Models. So hopefully you'll get every sport option you can with that.
It's already on both the U.K & the U.S Porsche configurators along with all pricing information etc. From a brief look on the U.K site there are no real surprises. There are the usual cosmetic differences (alcantara etc) along with a raise in both power & torque. Carrera 20inch wheels, GT sport steering wheel, Sports chrono, PTV & PASM are also standard fitments. If I was looking to buy another I'd look in that direction as apart from PTV those standard fitments are all things that I have on my car in any case & as is usual it works out the cheapest way of fitting them. I'd dump the alcantara though & replace it with good old ordinary leather. I had a largely alcantara interior on my old 987 & it wears horribly & overall it's just a pain. It's not a mistake I'd ever repeat & nowadays I don't even really like the look of it anymore.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I see some lightly used base and S Caymans coming to market in the next several months!
I don't. It's a minor power upgrade and a lot of stuff that Cayman S owners are going to have anyway. The release says "upgraded intake and turbo" but for a ~16hp increase I wonder if the "turbo" upgrade is simply turning up the wick a bit. Seems strange to fit a different turbocharger for that small of an increase on a car that can push 400+HP with a tune on stock hardware anyway. The head/taillights are already available as upgrades.

The only things that I see that are unique are the seats, alcantara wheel, and body bits.

·
892 Posts
I see some lightly used base and S Caymans coming to market in the next several months!
Possibly, but I wouldn't think so, I certainly wouldn't chop my own in. Since making my last comment I did a build on a GTS & rather surprisingly it came out more expensive than my existing car. That wasn't at all what I was expecting as they've previously worked out to be a cheaper way to get a high spec vehicle. If someone particularly likes the stylistic differences or wants the extra power I can see them changing, but other than that there's very little point. For me I slightly prefer the looks of the standard cars & although I'd have the extra power if you gave it to me, overall it isn't really that important to me. If you're buying from scratch & want a high spec car but have an eye on future residuals then that's an entirely different matter. As I said in my previous comment the GTS now has as standard many options that I had to pay for & that for me is where it has most appeal. The only thing it has in addition to my own car (apart from the stylistic & power/torque changes) is PTV. I'd still have to put many extras on one to bring one to my current spec & although a GTS would work out roughly £2500 more expensive than my current car by the time I'd done so, its starting list price is some £8013 higher. That's bound to reflect come trade in time & a GTS will re-coup far more than that initial extra £2500 outlay compared to my own on which nearly a third of the initial purchase price was accounted for in extras.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Wow! Then Porsche laid a dud I guess. That will be costly for them I - who would pay more for the same or less? Their development and marketing teams should be fired! Joking aside, I get your point(s) and I guess I overstated prospective enthusiasm, although there has been some interest for the GTS on this forum (but maybe not for only 16 hp). I still believe there will be some that want the GTS decal on the doors.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Well items that are not standard on the GTS that I included on my car include Heated Multifunction Steering Wheel, Heated Seats, 2-zone climate control, nav system (very surprised by that). So for me to get the same items I included on my 718CS it would be about $10,000 more - and that is with removing the GTS interior package.

From that I'd say the GTS is focused on people who are thinking about tracking the car first and foremost and just want to various performance options.

·
892 Posts
Wow! Then Porsche laid a dud I guess. That will be costly for them I - who would pay more for the same or less? Their development and marketing teams should be fired! Joking aside, I get your point(s) and I guess I overstated prospective enthusiasm, although there has been some interest for the GTS on this forum (but maybe not for only 16 hp). I still believe there will be some that want the GTS decal on the doors.
If you always want a high spec car & want to maximise the returns on your outlay come trade in time then it still works out as the cheapest option in the long term & of that there is little doubt. That's providing of course that the options fitted are roughly in line with what you actually want. In my case they are, apart from the alcantara which can be rectified at no cost. The stylistic alterations to the bodywork aren't an improvement in my opinion, but I don't feel that strongly about them. However I wouldn't change out of what I have just for a few extra horsepower with similarly small gains in torque. There is nothing on the car that I actually want that I don't already have. It does have PTV that my car lacks but as I drive primarily on public roads I don't miss not having it. If I was buying a new 718 then no question I'd opt for the GTS as in purely percentage terms the cost of extras against the overall price would be that much smaller. I buy this type of vehicle primarily with my heart but my wallet does get to influence my decisions occasionally. There will also be others that like the altered bodywork, the alcantara interior & the fact it's currently the top model with that GTS logo & they might possibly be tempted to change, but I'm not personally tempted in the slightest.

·
Registered
311 Posts
If you always want a high spec car & want to maximise the returns on your outlay come trade in time then it still works out as the cheapest option in the long term & of that there is little doubt. That's providing of course that the options fitted are roughly in line with what you actually want. In my case they are, apart from the alcantara which can be rectified at no cost. The stylistic alterations to the bodywork aren't an improvement in my opinion, but I don't feel that strongly about them. However I wouldn't change out of what I have just for a few extra horsepower with similarly small gains in torque. There is nothing on the car that I actually want that I don't already have. It does have PTV that my car lacks but as I drive primarily on public roads I don't miss not having it. If I was buying a new 718 then no question I'd opt for the GTS as in purely percentage terms the cost of extras against the overall price would be that much smaller. I buy this type of vehicle primarily with my heart but my wallet does get to influence my decisions occasionally. There will also be others that like the altered bodywork, the alcantara interior & the fact it's currently the top model with that GTS logo & they might possibly be tempted to change, but I'm not personally tempted in the slightest.
I agree with @Chilli about moving from an S to a GTS. Perhaps, as you say, if it was your first 718 then it might make sense. What about if you are going from a base model to a GTS? That also might make sense. I know that with the 911 there is not that much difference in the cost considering the options that come standard in the GTS. I wonder if this would hold true with the 718? Thoughts?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.