Porsche 718 Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
I got a base without a lot of extras.

The only thing I definitely recommend is Lane Change Assist. There’s mix feeling about this as well, but I like having extra assist that can be ignored.

Strong recommendation for:
Apple CarPlay. This allows connection for future.

Options that I love but can live without:
Porsche entry and drive, larger tank.

Vanity options that I got definitely not essential:
Agate Grey, Clear Taillights, seatbelt in Racing yellow.

Options considered but glad did not get:
Sports seats(more restrictive for me), GT steering, Radio upgrade (car loud)

Options considered and would be nice but not essential:
Rear wiper, PDLS, Dual zone AC, 14 way seats (Memory helps with entry), larger wheels (allows for Michelin tires).

enjoy playing with configurator!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was in the new car business for a long time. Unfortunately, what your husband paid on his lease has zero bearing on what a lease costs today. You could get a car with the same MSRP as your last one and depending on rates/residuals and incentives it could be $200 more or $200 less per month than your last car.

·
Registered
493 Posts
It is ridiculous, in my opinion, that when every Honda/Subaru/Toyota and probably Chevy/Ford/FCA/etc car available has backlit gauges.
It's winter here in NZ so i'm driving home from work in the dark and then go for a run before dinner. On any given evening I usually see at least three cars without any lights on at all or just their DRL's. It's usually a Honda, Subaru, Toyota, Mazda etc. and the driver's clearly think their lights are on because their dash lights are on.

·
Registered
742 Posts
It's winter here in NZ so i'm driving home from work in the dark and then go for a run before dinner. On any given evening I usually see at least three cars without any lights on at all or just their DRL's. It's usually a Honda, Subaru, Toyota, Mazda etc. and the driver's clearly think their lights are on because their dash lights are on.
I think just about every car sold these days have automatic headlights. The cars you see are probably driven by those who don't have their automatic headlights enabled. I always use this feature but for some reason when I get my inspections they always turn the headlights off. I usually catch it while it's still dusky since the DRLs only provide about 30% (I'm guessing here so don't hold me to the number) of the lighting of regular headlights. It's pretty easy to see the difference. The way I look at it is, if you can't see the road check if your headlights are on.

So I guess it's acceptable to you to not be able to see your gauges during the day so that when you can't see them at night you will know that your headlights aren't turned on. Do I have that correct? :)

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
After almost two years of ownership I finally had a situation where I could see, or rather could not see, that the tach needle was hard to see. Maybe it was the angle of the light coming into the car, I don't know. What I do know is that with a PDK and a high-torque-at-low-rpm motor I almost never look at the tach. I have looked at it before when my right foot was mashed on the loud pedal just to see how high it would go. I've never had trouble seeing it before, except that I couldn't spare the attention to look at it!

·
Registered
493 Posts
I think just about every car sold these days have automatic headlights. The cars you see are probably driven by those who don't have their automatic headlights enabled. I always use this feature but for some reason when I get my inspections they always turn the headlights off. I usually catch it while it's still dusky since the DRLs only provide about 30% (I'm guessing here so don't hold me to the number) of the lighting of regular headlights. It's pretty easy to see the difference. The way I look at it is, if you can't see the road check if your headlights are on.

So I guess it's acceptable to you to not be able to see your gauges during the day so that when you can't see them at night you will know that your headlights aren't turned on. Do I have that correct? :)
While it is true that most cars these days have auto lights, it is also true that many people don't know how to use them and they are often switched off. In these cases, if the dash lights are on and/or if the car has DRLs this just muddies the waters as there is some illumination which may lead people to think their lights are on, especially in areas where there are street lights. Unfortunately the era of 'auto on' has resulted in many people becoming lazy, or perhaps not proficient, and just assuming the car will do everything for them without actually realising that the responsibility rests with them to know how their vehicle operates.

Personally I have no problem seeing my gauges during the day and actually find the Porsche auto on pretty sensitive as it usually switches on when I go through an area of shady trees, high-rise buildings, anything really that may reduce my visibility. In most cases I would say it tends to turn the lights on before I would do so if I were to be doing it manually.

But yes, if I had to make a choice, taking into account that some drivers are less conscientious than others I would place more importance on drivers being able to see at night and their cars being visible to other road users than me being able to see my gauges. In short, because many people equate their dash lights being on with their headlights being on I have no issue with not being able to independently turn them on or off.

Anyway, let's get back on topic.

·
Registered
742 Posts
After almost two years of ownership I finally had a situation where I could see, or rather could not see, that the tach needle was hard to see. Maybe it was the angle of the light coming into the car, I don't know. What I do know is that with a PDK and a high-torque-at-low-rpm motor I almost never look at the tach. I have looked at it before when my right foot was mashed on the loud pedal just to see how high it would go. I've never had trouble seeing it before, except that I couldn't spare the attention to look at it!
Hey, Jim:
If we had a PDK this would be an irritant rather than an issue. I will admit though that with the low end torque I generally don't play near the red line either. However, I do wish that I could see where I was playing when I want to wring it out. Which gets us back to the original question:

To me this is an essential option for a 718. With a do over, it would be in our car.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Don't know if OP ever found a car but with the 2021 model year changes some of these things are now standard. Carplay, Heated Seats and Dual Zone Auto Climate Control chief among them.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Don't know if OP ever found a car but with the 2021 model year changes some of these things are now standard. Carplay, Heated Seats and Dual Zone Auto Climate Control chief among them.
No, I haven’t purchased/leased yet. I still have 6 months until my current lease is up. I’m glad to see that some options, like heated seats and apple car play, are now standard.

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
I got a base without a lot of extras.

The only thing I definitely recommend is Lane Change Assist. There’s mix feeling about this as well, but I like having extra assist that can be ignored.

Strong recommendation for:
Apple CarPlay. This allows connection for future.

Options that I love but can live without:
Porsche entry and drive, larger tank.

Vanity options that I got definitely not essential:
Agate Grey, Clear Taillights, seatbelt in Racing yellow.

Options considered but glad did not get:
Sports seats(more restrictive for me), GT steering, Radio upgrade (car loud)

Options considered and would be nice but not essential:
Rear wiper, PDLS, Dual zone AC, 14 way seats (Memory helps with entry), larger wheels (allows for Michelin tires).

enjoy playing with configurator!
seven:

Wow, have to disagree with a lot of this...and agree with some too. I guess that's why you don't see the same options on every Porsche?

Lane Change Assist: Had it on 911 Carrera T and turned it off. The light distracts you from looking at the side mirror. Hate it. Learn to adjust and use your mirrors properly...much safer and better.

Agree Apple Car Play is good to have. You can easily get by without PCM/Nav if you have it. I have Nav. It's OK now but when I can no longer get updates for those maps? Nice thing is...you don't need to plug the phone in to use Nav. Nav works when there's no cell coverage. If you're going to tour the boonies with your car, highly recommended, that's a thing.

Colored Seat Belts: I had black and didn't mind them. I had silver and loved them with black leather w/black & silver Sportex on the 911. I have red belts on my current car...with black full leather..and hate em. ...Anyone want to trade?

Metallic Paint, especially lighter metallics, hide dirt swirl marks and scratches. Put a couple coats of a very good clear-coat protector on the paint when it's new and clean. I know "I love black." "I keep my car clean all the time" except when you really fall in love with it and start actually driving. The world is a dirty place. A good commercial car wash can your friend. I've had 3 Porsches in the last 5 years...all silver/black...no regrets there. They've all gone through my local soft cloth hundreds of times and they all looked new when I traded...except the nose, which is, you know...vulnerable to chipping, etc. Noses are plastic and hoods are aluminum, so no rust risks if paint chips here and there. Silver hides these things magically.

Agree clear tail lights don't look as good as normal tail lights. Anyone wanna trade?

I love entry and drive, but agree that I could live without it.

Larger tank on a base probably not strictly needed. I have a GTS and it's a little more thirsty...and rewards hooning. There is only one size tank available on Cayman GTS. I think it's the larger one.

I had standard seats in my '06 Cayman S. I changed to GT2 carbon buckets with alcantara inserts. They were very comfy an transformed the feel and the look of the car. Just great...although, getting in and out was more exercise...This is not strictly a bad thing. I had Sport + manual seats in both the Carrera T and the Cayman GTS. They are not the same seat! The Carrera seat has power up, down and recline. The Cayman has that pump-crank thing for up and down....not as posh. I'd rather have buckets. They are more work, especially for inexperienced visitors to my car, but most other times, they're really good. Having seats like that provides motivation to fit well in them.

GT Steering wheel has been on both of the newer cars. I agree that it's not needed or even better. I do like heated with the controls on the wheel. Not strictly needed, but very nice.

Rear Wiper is more trouble than it's worth. I've never wished I had a rear wiper on 2 caymans and a 911.

HEADLIGHTS: I had Bi-Xenon on my '06. I thought they were great.
I had LED on my 911 CT. I thought they were way better and used less power...and would likely never burn out. I am not a fan of the 4 LED running lights though. I just ran with headlights on during the day. A better look and makes one a little bit more visible in traffic. This is somewhat of a concern in a low car that is not screaming yelllow.
Now, I have the base Bi-Xenon on my 718 CGTS. They're adequate. I like LED better, but not 2 grand better. I've heard that the black/PDLS have 5W brighter Bi-Xenon bulbs and that you can swap. I may try that.

Larger Wheels: I'm very happy with 20" Carrera S wheels. I don't see a need for any of the more expensive ones. I have standard PASM. The ride is absolutely cushy and yet it corners nearly flat in either Sport or Normal. I had 19's on my '06. I switched to 18's and liked the ride and the car dynamics better. The 718 seems to love 20" wheels. I have 19" winters for it. They also look good and ride nice...but the 20's are better. OZ Superleggera wheels are almost the same as Carrera S...maybe a touch cooler looking. All my wheels are grey.

Dual Zone A/C: I love this option. I recommend it for two simple reasons: 1) It works very well. 2) the standard system is not very intuitive or well-placed. Having to feck with it constantly is annoying. On some cars, I love the manual controls. On Porsches, I hate em. You have to look down to see where the temp or fan are set. You can't feel it. Also, the fan being way over by passenger is kinda silly and the displays are . It's not terrible, but it's not well thought out. With almost all the rest of the car being near perfect, I tend to think like the young designer's angry boss every time I take my eyes off the road to manually adjust the climate controls. With the automatic, you set temp and really can forget about it.

I've decided that I like dark aluminum trim. I really don't like the stock silvery trim. The dark aluminum isn't as pricy as CF or wood and it doesn't reflect or look cheezy... I think the stock stuff lets this interior down and reflects too much, especially cheapens the look of full leather.

14 (or 18)-Way Seats: The reason I like manual seats is because they work so slick. You pull up on the lever, slide all the way back in an instant, pivot both legs out and get out of the car. The reverse happens when you get back in. After a few times, you get good at finding your spot with the manual seats. When you do, they're much quicker than the slow electric motor. Also, manual seats save quite a bit of weight. This matters, especially in a Base Cayman or Base Boxster.

Aftermarket Stuff I'd Definitely Recommend:

1. Zunsport Grills for the front air vents. This keeps leaves and crud out of your radiators. They look great in black.

2. Hawk Ceramic Street Brake Pads - If you drive on the street a lot, these are the best. No dust, no squeal. DO NOT even think about using them on a track weekend but otherwise, you can do a couple hard stops without drama...or dust...hooray!

3. Short Shifter for manual box. This is the one that comes on GT4s. It's great. Suncoast sells them. The standard shifter on the 718 is too long.

Hope this helps somebody think it through. It's fun work!!!

:alien:

·
Registered
470 Posts
seven:

Wow, have to disagree with a lot of this...and agree with some too. I guess that's why you don't see the same options on every Porsche?

Lane Change Assist: Had it on 911 Carrera T and turned it off. The light distracts you from looking at the side mirror. Hate it. Learn to adjust and use your mirrors properly...much safer and better.

Agree Apple Car Play is good to have. You can easily get by without PCM/Nav if you have it. I have Nav. It's OK now but when I can no longer get updates for those maps? Nice thing is...you don't need to plug the phone in to use Nav. Nav works when there's no cell coverage. If you're going to tour the boonies with your car, highly recommended, that's a thing.

Colored Seat Belts: I had black and didn't mind them. I had silver and loved them with black leather w/black & silver Sportex on the 911. I have red belts on my current car...with black full leather..and hate em. ...Anyone want to trade?

Metallic Paint, especially lighter metallics, hide dirt swirl marks and scratches. Put a couple coats of a very good clear-coat protector on the paint when it's new and clean. I know "I love black." "I keep my car clean all the time" except when you really fall in love with it and start actually driving. The world is a dirty place. A good commercial car wash can your friend. I've had 3 Porsches in the last 5 years...all silver/black...no regrets there. They've all gone through my local soft cloth hundreds of times and they all looked new when I traded...except the nose, which is, you know...vulnerable to chipping, etc. Noses are plastic and hoods are aluminum, so no rust risks if paint chips here and there. Silver hides these things magically.

Agree clear tail lights don't look as good as normal tail lights. Anyone wanna trade?

I love entry and drive, but agree that I could live without it.

Larger tank on a base probably not strictly needed. I have a GTS and it's a little more thirsty...and rewards hooning. There is only one size tank available on Cayman GTS. I think it's the larger one.

I had standard seats in my '06 Cayman S. I changed to GT2 carbon buckets with alcantara inserts. They were very comfy an transformed the feel and the look of the car. Just great...although, getting in and out was more exercise...This is not strictly a bad thing. I had Sport + manual seats in both the Carrera T and the Cayman GTS. They are not the same seat! The Carrera seat has power up, down and recline. The Cayman has that pump-crank thing for up and down....not as posh. I'd rather have buckets. They are more work, especially for inexperienced visitors to my car, but most other times, they're really good. Having seats like that provides motivation to fit well in them.

GT Steering wheel has been on both of the newer cars. I agree that it's not needed or even better. I do like heated with the controls on the wheel. Not strictly needed, but very nice.

Rear Wiper is more trouble than it's worth. I've never wished I had a rear wiper on 2 caymans and a 911.

HEADLIGHTS: I had Bi-Xenon on my '06. I thought they were great.
I had LED on my 911 CT. I thought they were way better and used less power...and would likely never burn out. I am not a fan of the 4 LED running lights though. I just ran with headlights on during the day. A better look and makes one a little bit more visible in traffic. This is somewhat of a concern in a low car that is not screaming yelllow.
Now, I have the base Bi-Xenon on my 718 CGTS. They're adequate. I like LED better, but not 2 grand better. I've heard that the black/PDLS have 5W brighter Bi-Xenon bulbs and that you can swap. I may try that.

Larger Wheels: I'm very happy with 20" Carrera S wheels. I don't see a need for any of the more expensive ones. I have standard PASM. The ride is absolutely cushy and yet it corners nearly flat in either Sport or Normal. I had 19's on my '06. I switched to 18's and liked the ride and the car dynamics better. The 718 seems to love 20" wheels. I have 19" winters for it. They also look good and ride nice...but the 20's are better. OZ Superleggera wheels are almost the same as Carrera S...maybe a touch cooler looking. All my wheels are grey.

Dual Zone A/C: I love this option. I recommend it for two simple reasons: 1) It works very well. 2) the standard system is not very intuitive or well-placed. Having to feck with it constantly is annoying. On some cars, I love the manual controls. On Porsches, I hate em. You have to look down to see where the temp or fan are set. You can't feel it. Also, the fan being way over by passenger is kinda silly and the displays are . It's not terrible, but it's not well thought out. With almost all the rest of the car being near perfect, I tend to think like the young designer's angry boss every time I take my eyes off the road to manually adjust the climate controls. With the automatic, you set temp and really can forget about it.

I've decided that I like dark aluminum trim. I really don't like the stock silvery trim. The dark aluminum isn't as pricy as CF or wood and it doesn't reflect or look cheezy... I think the stock stuff lets this interior down and reflects too much, especially cheapens the look of full leather.

14 (or 18)-Way Seats: The reason I like manual seats is because they work so slick. You pull up on the lever, slide all the way back in an instant, pivot both legs out and get out of the car. The reverse happens when you get back in. After a few times, you get good at finding your spot with the manual seats. When you do, they're much quicker than the slow electric motor. Also, manual seats save quite a bit of weight. This matters, especially in a Base Cayman or Base Boxster.

Aftermarket Stuff I'd Definitely Recommend:

1. Zunsport Grills for the front air vents. This keeps leaves and crud out of your radiators. They look great in black.

2. Hawk Ceramic Street Brake Pads - If you drive on the street a lot, these are the best. No dust, no squeal. DO NOT even think about using them on a track weekend but otherwise, you can do a couple hard stops without drama...or dust...hooray!

3. Short Shifter for manual box. This is the one that comes on GT4s. It's great. Suncoast sells them. The standard shifter on the 718 is too long.

Hope this helps somebody think it through. It's fun work!!!

:alien:
Great post! I don't come down on the same side for every item, but really great post nonetheless!

21 - 32 of 32 Posts