Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

It’s a German coupe shootout and Autocar going to answer two very important questions: which of the two sports coupes are faster around the track and which one is more fun?

Both being the respective brand’s most affordable performance car, the Porsche 718 Cayman S costs a bit more at £48,834 compared to the BMW M2 which starts at £44,070. That’s where the similarities end because one is a mid-engine two seater and the other is a front-engine coupe.

On paper, BMW’s M2 has the 718 Cayman S beat with a 3.0-liter turbocharged inline-six engine that produces 365 bhp and 369 lb-ft of torque. It even has a better acceleration time, going from 0-60 mph in just 4.5 seconds even though it’s 140 pounds heavier than the Cayman S.

In comparison, the 718 Cayman S’ four-cylinder turbo is capable of delivering 345 bhp and 310 lb-ft of torque and go from 0-60 mph in 4.6 seconds. Where the Cayman S does win over the M2 is its low body weight and higher top speed of 177 mph compared to the latter model’s 155 mph.

With these numbers, we would assume that the M2 will have a faster lap time, but ultimately the Porsche wins over the M2 by a small margin in terms of speed and fun.

Do you agree with their final decision?

·
Registered
254 Posts
I definitely thought it was a given that the 718 would beat him around the track just because of the amount of turns. The 718 clearly would out corner it no matter how you look at it.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I did expect the same results, however I thought it would be a bit closer. Nonetheless, an interesting view.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
About this Discussion
2 Replies
3 Participants
Justin
Porsche 718 Forum
718 Forum is the largest Porsche 718 Boxster and Cayman community. Join now to discuss modifications, exhaust, tires and more!
Full Forum Listing