Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Birds word is that Porsche has a weight target for the 718 pf 2,625 lbs, yes that includes the wheels as well.

·
Registered
459 Posts
that's a great weight to keep it at, especially with what it's basemodel engine is said to have that puts out somewhere around 300 hp & tq.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
to get any modern car in this day and age below 3,000 lbs is a MIRACLE. I bet the only way to do that is to strip the 718 of all electronics. Ok not all, but most. Systems and the wiring that supports them is so influential on overall curb weight...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes, porsche has already said the 718 will be a barebones car, manual roof, manual seat adjustment, I wouldnt be surprised if there was also manual locks and windows. I'm all for this, keep it pure and LIGHT!

·
Registered
459 Posts
to get any modern car in this day and age below 3,000 lbs is a MIRACLE. I bet the only way to do that is to strip the 718 of all electronics. Ok not all, but most. Systems and the wiring that supports them is so influential on overall curb weight...
It sure it a miracle, with all the things they have to add that all quickly add up.
One thing they should do are some video's that show some of what they to improve performance, one of them being how they managed to keep weight down.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Manual windows? That is really old school. I assume that you would be able to get a package to upgrade to automatic, but still, the time for paying extra for power windows was a good 20-30 years ago.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Manual windows? That is really old school. I assume that you would be able to get a package to upgrade to automatic, but still, the time for paying extra for power windows was a good 20-30 years ago.
if you're complaining about power windows you might as well just get a Boxster becasue you're missing what the point is of the 718.

Priced in the mid $40's to be a cheap, pure offer from porsche, its the type of car they used to build. If you want to option it with modern amenities you'll be well into the $50's if not $60's going off porsches precedent. At that point Boxster.

·
Registered
13 Posts
With so many federal mandates for safety features it will be tough to get rid of a lot of the extra weight as these will eat into the savings. Given that, some of the other controls that are not required can be moved to the option list.

·
Registered
107 Posts
With so many federal mandates for safety features it will be tough to get rid of a lot of the extra weight as these will eat into the savings. Given that, some of the other controls that are not required can be moved to the option list.
Indeed! Wiring has been the single most significant factor in the weight bloat of modern cars. Ditch the systems, ditch the weight drag...

·
Registered
222 Posts
I just think that people who are buying Porsches are going to expect a lot of those features. They can tone it down a bit, but people will still want a touch screen and radio and stuff. They can skip some of the more nanny technologies though.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I just think that people who are buying Porsches are going to expect a lot of those features. They can tone it down a bit, but people will still want a touch screen and radio and stuff. They can skip some of the more nanny technologies though.
a touch screen infotainment system is a must, but yes, nanny tech is what i'd like to see them limit greatly, they might feel obligated to add some nannys

·
Registered
100 Posts
My curb weight with 7/8 tank of fuel, model: Cayman S manual, sports plus seats, no other options. 3060 lbs. front:1340, rear:1720.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My '18 Boxster S, 6-spd, 18" wheels, pretty fully equipped (no carbon brakes nor steering rear diff) is 3,226 lb. That's 1,635 F and 1,591 R or 51%F, 49%R. That's with ~1/2 tank fuel.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts