Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems there is a long list of engine oils brands A40 approved for Porsche vehicles - see pdf list at URL below. Yet I've read that dealers tell their customers to only use Mobil 1. Indeed, my ancient Boxster has a Mobil 1 sticker in the trunk next to the oil filler.

Can anyone clear up this apparent confusion?.

http://www.fruitlands.net/tdi/PorscheApprovedEngineOils.pdf

·
Super Moderator
1,266 Posts
My (newish) Boxster still has that sticker (Porsche recommends Mobil 1) and the dealer tells me that Mobil 1 is in the car when it arrives.
I guess there could be a difference between "approved" and "recommended".

(I approve of any tart apples for apple pie, but there are only one or two tasty enough that I would recommend them.:laugh:)

·
Registered
104 Posts
When the car is not used in winter, I recommend using Mobil 1 5W50. It has Porsche A40 approval and it is far better protecting the engine as the normaly used 0W40, which is good but not as good as the 5W50.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Does anyone have a more current listing of A40 approved oils list for Porsche (Cayman) than the Jan 19, 2016 list provided in the previous listing?

·
Registered
57 Posts
What one should be looking for in Porsche approved oils is "Porsche A40 approved." A40 is Porsche's requirement. There are other oils that meet Porsche requirements versus "recommended." After speaking to several dealerships some use Castrol in addition to Mobil 1. Check the specs of the oil before making any decision to use any particular oil.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Personally, I've changed my oil twice because of track days and have used Mobile 1. If I were looking to use another oil, I'd chose a synthetic with the recommended weight and one which meets or exceeds the requirements of: API SN, SM, SL, SJ

·
Registered
226 Posts
The "Porsche Recommends Mobil 1" is purely a marketing thing.

Mobil 1 is a great oil, maybe not the best oil, but definitely one that's simple to find.

However there are many other great oils out there that meet Porsche A40. I can say Liqui-Moly, Elf, and Castrol Edge are great choices.

·
Registered
57 Posts
A couple of other oils that are worth considering that are Porsche A40 manufacture approved are:
AMSOIL
European Car Formula 5W-40 Improved ESP Synthetic Motor Oil
European Car Formula 0W-40 Classic ESP Synthetic Motor Oil

AMSOIL makes high quality products which have been around for a long time that are tested/proven in the industry.
I use the 5W-40 in my turbo Volkswagen Jetta.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts