Porsche 718 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
As a Texan who rides on summer times 365, and does not need multi-month storage, I plan to pay the Porsche tax for the simplicity of cigarette lighter connection.
We're also in Texas, so it's summer tires 365. No cigarette lighter connection required...they simply burst into flames on demand :eek:.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,
I live in Florida in the winter. In the Spring I move back to the NE for the summer. I leave the Porsche Battery Maintainer installed into my cigarette lighter for a 5 month period and have been doing so for 4 years. Works great, no problems at all.
Do you have to lock the doors while the maintainer is connected in the cigarette lighter?

·
Registered
158 Posts
I use the footwell socket , maybe the cigarette lighter is different ? Then again I am only going on by what I read on Suncoast , I have not tried it myself to see

·
Registered
2021 Boxster PDK
543 Posts
Not sure how my Boxster is set up. I have the smoking package and use the lighter socket for charging with my Porsche Charger. Often, after not driving for nearly a week, I will plug in the charger to maintain the battery without ever having started the car. I do not lock the car up and the charger works as it should without turning itself off. Now it has been on charge and covered up since Nov. 17th, unlocked, and working fine. I still think there is something about the socket and the Porsche charger plug that is different than the Ctek plug. It looks to me that a red plastic piece on the Porsche charger plug circumvents a circuit in the lighter socket, and avoids the auto shutoff function. JMHO

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
Never experienced the auto shutoff function with our CTEK MXS 5.0.

Reactions: Robsx

·
Registered
2021 Boxster PDK
543 Posts
I guess the red piece is for adapting to the lighter socket and not used for the footwell socket. Very strange the variety of issues regarding the chargers shutting off. Doesn't seem to be a common problem. Glad mine works OK using the lighter socket. That's the easiest way for me.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I just started using a CTEK MXS 5.0 charger via the lighter socket on my '21 GT4. Working great, been on for 2 days. I did use the key to turn on the ignition (didn't start engine), then turned off prior to plugging in the charger. Charger started on #3 light, now on #7 and maintaining. Very happy with the charger so far. Had the adapter cables to connect pigtail to battery, but the lighter socket works and is sooo much easier!
Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Bumper Automotive lighting
Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Bumper Automotive lighting

·
Registered
204 Posts
I still think there is something about the socket and the Porsche charger plug that is different than the Ctek plug. It looks to me that a red plastic piece on the Porsche charger plug circumvents a circuit in the lighter socket, and avoids the auto shutoff function. JMHO
I don't see any way that's possible; either there are two connections (hot and ground) or there aren't. The cigarette lighter has only two wires on it, so it's not possible to feed power and to shut something else off. There are variations in the diameter of cigarette lighter plugs in different cars, so I would bet that's why there's a plastic ring.

Remember that the auto shutoff is part of the car going to sleep, it happens over time so you'd need to have things hooked up for a few days in order to see if there's a problem.

Hasn't gotten nasty enough here to go more than a few days between outings so I haven't needed/used the charger yet, fingers crossed.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I just started using a CTEK MXS 5.0 charger via the lighter socket on my '21 GT4. Working great, been on for 2 days. I did use the key to turn on the ignition (didn't start engine), then turned off prior to plugging in the charger. Charger started on #3 light, now on #7 and maintaining. Very happy with the charger so far. Had the adapter cables to connect pigtail to battery, but the lighter socket works and is sooo much easier!
View attachment 36793 View attachment 36793
Just an update after using this CTEK for a few weeks. Been working great, no issues with the cigarette lighter being off in any way. After sitting for several days in the garage (no maintainer), I opened the driver door (I never lock the car in the garage) and hooked up the CTEK and all the charger lights came on as expected. Started with #3 light on, then by next morning #7 the green light was on.

·
Premium Member
2019 base Cayman
1,960 Posts
Just an update after using this CTEK for a few weeks. Been working great, no issues with the cigarette lighter being off in any way. After sitting for several days in the garage (no maintainer), I opened the driver door (I never lock the car in the garage) and hooked up the CTEK and all the charger lights came on as expected. Started with #3 light on, then by next morning #7 the green light was on.
This is my fourth year and it has always been the same experience as yours, even down to your earlier post about intending to use the adapter cables but going the easy way out with the cigarette lighter. It just works. I unlock and open the car to do or get things and close and lock without disturbing the process at all.

Reactions: Treemagnet

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
I used to have a CTEK charger that I used on my previous 981s but I lost it in my move to California. With the new Cayman 718 T sitting in the garage I decided to buy a Porsche branded CTEK charger. I just read the instructions and they say to (1) start the car if it has been sitting for more than 30 min, (2) plug the charger into the car, (3) plug the charger into the wall, and (4) lock the car. That's what I did and the charger is working fine.

I never went through all of that with my previous 981s and the old charger. I just plugged the charger in and went about my business. It worked fine. So who knows??

I left the red sleeve on the plug and put the plug in the footwell socket.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I used to have a CTEK charger that I used on my previous 981s but I lost it in my move to California. With the new Cayman 718 T sitting in the garage I decided to buy a Porsche branded CTEK charger. I just read the instructions and they say to (1) start the car if it has been sitting for more than 30 min, (2) plug the charger into the car, (3) plug the charger into the wall, and (4) lock the car. That's what I did and the charger is working fine.

I never went through all of that with my previous 981s and the old charger. I just plugged the charger in and went about my business. It worked fine. So who knows??

I left the red sleeve on the plug and put the plug in the footwell socket.
I'm guessing at some point you will get tired of having to start the car (or at least turn key to on position), then plugging in the charger. Give it a day or two sitting, try plugging in the charger and see if it works ok. It would be helpful info for other owners of the similar car model.

·
Registered
536 Posts
My CTEK MX5. Works absolutely fine without any need to turn on the ignition or start the car. Last time I used the charger via the socket car has-been sat for a week. Just unlocked plugged in charger at footwell and turned on (and locked car) Checked car 8hrs later when back from work and fully charged.

·
Premium Member
2019 base Cayman
1,960 Posts
I think the starting instruction is a add to the normal procedure to make sure that battery has some/sufficient charge left on it before plugging in the CTEK. I've never done it because I usually give my car one good, fun run before putting her down for the winter. Never had an adverse effect from not doing the preliminary start.

Reactions: Robsx
41 - 60 of 71 Posts