Porsche 718 Forum banner
61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Boxster PDK
544 Posts
We had a 17 hour power outage last night that ended about 4pm today. As would be expected, the Porsche charger shut down. This evening I turned it back on and I will check it later or in the morning. Didn't start or lock up. Just turned it on.

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
We had a 17 hour power outage last night that ended about 4pm today. As would be expected, the Porsche charger shut down. This evening I turned it back on and I will check it later or in the morning. Didn't start or lock up. Just turned it on.
I'm trying my charger tonight without locking up the car.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
I'm guessing at some point you will get tired of having to start the car (or at least turn key to on position), then plugging in the charger. Give it a day or two sitting, try plugging in the charger and see if it works ok. It would be helpful info for other owners of the similar car model.
Never started our 2017 BS before plugging in the CTEK MXS 5.0. Regardless of how many hours it sat before plugging in the CTEK always worked perfectly though all eight stages, provided it was charging a sufficient number of days. I expect our 2022 GTS to behave the same; however, we won't know until it's garaged when we travel overseas sometime next year.

·
Registered
23 Posts
sorry to revive an old post. and a total newbie question... would I plug this in, and put the wire across the door sill and close the door on the wire? does that cause the door seal to deform overtime causing air / water leaks?

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
sorry to revive an old post. and a total newbie question... would I plug this in, and put the wire across the door sill and close the door on the wire? does that cause the door seal to deform overtime causing air / water leaks?
I was also worried about deforming the door seal. Thus, I lower the window enough to pass the male socket through, then run the window back up until it is almost closed...enough so the wire doesn't touch the window seal.

This method ensures I won't drive off still plugged into the wall, because the first thing I see upon entering the car is the wire coming through the window to the socket. Almost idiot proof...but give me time :rolleyes:.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
There is a small indentation on the bottom of the door frame that allows a cable to run into the driver's footwell and up to the cigarette lighter. I have mine marked with a piece of tape and just align the cable with that. There may be one on the passenger side also, I do not know
MOO & FWIW

·
Registered
773 Posts
(my impression is the car must be sitting a very long time to get to the point where it tries to gradually shut down electrical systems)
I have to agree with this. My Boxster has sat in the garage untouched for four weeks on two occasions (vacation / knee surgery recovery) and I did not see one iota of an issue with the battery. It started instantly and battery voltage was normal. My BMW Z3, albeit with much fewer computers, sat for for three months on a couple of occasions and no problem. I have had similar experiences with my BMW X3. The big ass AGM batteries have an infinitesimal self discharge rate compared to conventional lead acid batteries and any parasitic load while shut down is just not enough enough to really matter. In my opinion, unnecessarily placing the car on a trickle charger entails more risk than any real gain.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I have to agree with this. My Boxster has sat in the garage untouched for four weeks on two occasions (vacation / knee surgery recovery) and I did not see one iota of an issue with the battery. It started instantly and battery voltage was normal. My BMW Z3, albeit with much fewer computers, sat for for three months on a couple of occasions and no problem. I have had similar experiences with my BMW X3. The big ass AGM batteries have an infinitesimal self discharge rate compared to conventional lead acid batteries and any parasitic load while shut down is just not enough enough to really matter. In my opinion, unnecessarily placing the car on a trickle charger entails more risk than any real gain.
What is the risk due to using a battery minder?

·
Premium Member
2019 base Cayman
1,960 Posts
There is a great article in the August issue of excellence (issue 292) on batteries. In the section on AGM batteries, there are two interesting things related to what @Barryng mentions here, and the question about resetting the battery with the car. When you install a new AGM battery to our cars, you should register the battery to the monitor. The battery monitor will then apply "an algorithm to gradually apply a more conservative strategy to prolong the life of the battery." More to @Barryng's point, this also monitors the "closed-current drain on the battery when the vehicle is at rest." And when it deems the battery's starting capabilities are being compromised, it starts shutting down unnecessary consumers via the "vehicle gateway control unit."

For @CaymanMatt, it says that when using a maintainer we should use "a battery charger with a specific AGM (not gel-cell) setting." There is a myriad of other battery information in the article.

·
Registered
773 Posts
What is the risk due to using a battery minder?
Good and reasonable question. I would agree the risk is very low. However, even with very low risk, it is just good practice to take no risk if the risk is not necessary or serves no consequential purpose. This approach is especially true with equipment vital for some safety or production function or, at a personal level, something very expensive and complex (like our Porsches). The essence of my post is that I perceive, from the large number of posts I see, trickle chargers, an external energy source, are frequently used when they are not necessary. The kind of things that could go wrong might be inadvertent reverse polarity, failure of the battery charger resulting in incorrect current/voltage regulation, and not really knowing how a connected energy source effects all the various electronic devices since the connection is typically not made direct to the battery terminals. The fuse block connection point seems not very robust with the possibility of breaking (or shorting to something) if the alligator clips are too large or a short if the clips are not well insulated and just not in the right position. Just lots of unknowns and intangibles that really do not need to be challenged unless the vehicle is really going to sit for a true extended period. IMO, I would consider an extended period to be more than a few months. I do think if a modern car with an AGM battery needs a trickle charger after sitting idle for only, say, a month or two, probably has a problem with the battery itself or the charging system. I am basing my opinions on actual experience with my vehicles. As one example, we were away for almost four weeks on vacation just before the pandemic got underway and my Boxster started with no discernible laziness and the voltmeter was right where expected both before and after starting the engine. I have had similar experience with other vehicles for periods of up to four months. Also, I am a very firm advocate of the expression "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" and the unnecessary use of an external portable energy source comes under that category in my mind.

61 - 71 of 71 Posts