Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mom's battery voltage went down so she wants me to order the Porsche branded battery charger/maintainer. Will the charger work on my Mother's 2019 718 Cayman S using the lighter socket without the key in the ignition? I ask this because I have a 2017 VW GTI and the lighter socket requires the start button to be engaged along with the remote key fob in the vicinity. Anybody know where I would find a best price on a new charger? They aren't exactly cheap.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Mom's battery voltage went down so she wants me to order the Porsche branded battery charger/maintainer. Will the charger work on my Mother's 2019 718 Cayman S using the lighter socket without the key in the ignition? I ask this because I have a 2017 VW GTI and the lighter socket requires the start button to be engaged along with the remote key fob in the vicinity. Anybody know where I would find a best price on a new charger? They aren't exactly cheap.
I’ve just tested my Porsche Charge-O-mat Pro and it does work fine without a key inserted using cigarette lighter 👍
I also tested that on my wife’s ’19 GTI and it doesn’t.

·
Registered
387 Posts
So, does this mean one can safely back-feed 12V into a lighter socket? I think this was addressed in another thread but I never saw a clear answer.

Being able to back-feed 12V into a lighter socket has a number of useful advantages.
  • The front and rear trunks can be opened if the installed battery is not providing sufficient voltage to actuate the electric latches.
  • The installed battery can be replaced while maintaining all stored memories/settings/etc. (maybe)
  • A simple way to maintain the installed battery on a long term float charge.
I have been considering keeping a holder for eight AA batteries connected to a lighter plug in the glove compartment. If I ever have a dead battery, and the lighter socket can be back-fed, this could provide a method for getting to the battery to jump start the car. Because of all the elctronics, I do not know if this is safe to do or even if it will work.

·
Registered
915 Posts
1) Buy a CTEK. You don't need the Porsche charger. It's a CTEK anyway under the Porsche branding.
2) My understanding is that you plug into the lighter socket on the passenger side of the transmission tunnel. After plugged in, run the cable out the bottom of the door or better out a slightly cracked window if not outside. Then close the door and lock the car. That's I believe how you keep that plug hot.

I'm sure others will chime in here if this isn't correct. I have a pigtail on the battery and ground point so have never used the lighter plug.
MOO

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I have the CTEK myself, plug into the tunnel socket, there is plenty of length on the plug wire to run it out the bottom front of the door, tuck the wire into the panel gap into the wheel wheel and then plug in at the final end. I park in a badly lit underground garage below my condo building and like to make the charging a little less obvious. Unless you look under the car at just the right angle behind the front tire, you won't see all the pretty lights on the maintainer. Here's what people see (only darker), what the front view is (ceiling fireproofing reflection is unsettling), and specific angle with lights (click images for full-sized glory).
CarmenMaintain1.jpg CarmenMaintain2.jpg CarmenMaintain3.jpg

·
Registered
28 Posts
I use a ctek charger in the cigarette lighter socket - no issues with it staying ‘live’.

And has already been said, the Porsche charger is just a rebadged ctek. In the uk, you need to buy the cigarette lighter adapter as a separate accessory.

·
Registered
515 Posts
An AGM battery specific charger is recommended (IMHO). I’ve been using a CTEK (MXS 5.0) plugged into the tunnel socket (cord through the passenger window) and never been disappointed.

Reactions: dkmajm
1 - 7 of 7 Posts