Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Porsche 718 Cayman GTS 4.0 6 speed manual
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just got a new 2021 718 Cayman GTS 4.0 and I do not have NAV and use Apple Carplay. The only real features I need on PCC are the ability to lock my doors and locate my car and check things like tire pressure. I have a Mercedes and that is all I really use it for. However, I want notifications if I leave the car unlocked.

I have notifications turned on in the APP but have not received any. I am skeptical of them working since the Vodafone App does not register with Apple notifications. This is clearly visible from the fact you cannot set them in iPhone/Settings/Notifications. I noticed that App has not been updated by Vodafone in 2 years

Any insight is much appreciated so I do not spin my wheels for naught. Thx

·
Registered
Carmine Red Cayman, with lots of Goodies....
35 Posts
So I just got a new 2021 718 Cayman GTS 4.0 and I do not have NAV and use Apple Carplay. The only real features I need on PCC are the ability to lock my doors and locate my car and check things like tire pressure. I have a Mercedes and that is all I really use it for. However, I want notifications if I leave the car unlocked.

I have notifications turned on in the APP but have not received any. I am skeptical of them working since the Vodafone App does not register with Apple notifications. This is clearly visible from the fact you cannot set them in iPhone/Settings/Notifications. I noticed that App has not been updated by Vodafone in 2 years

Any insight is much appreciated so I do not spin my wheels for naught. Thx
Let me know if you figure things out. I picked up my 718 on Saturday and I'm still trying to figure that out.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Let me know if you figure things out. I picked up my 718 on Saturday and I'm still trying to figure that out.
You need to call Porsche Connect to get your verification code (they will ask you for your VIN) once in the APP you can set a 4 digit pin.....Or go to My Porsche online and your code will be in your account

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You need to call Porsche Connect to get your verification code (they will ask you for your VIN) once in the APP you can set a 4 digit pin.....Or go to My Porsche online and your code will be in your account
Yes, that is correct and mine is working. I thought Rjzey was referencing my problem of notifications not working in Porsche Car Connect. Porsche Connect is the new App which unfortunately does not work with the Cayman since it is still using the old Vodafone system along with a couple of other models.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Yes, that is correct and mine is working. I thought Rjzey was referencing my problem of notifications not working in Porsche Car Connect. Porsche Connect is the new App which unfortunately does not work with the Cayman since it is still using the old Vodafone system along with a couple of other models.
Porsche Connect is working fine in my 2021 CGTS after created a new WiFi hot spot with ATT

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Porsche Connect is working fine in my 2021 CGTS after created a new WiFi hot spot with ATT
Can you tell me how you did that because everyone says that does not work. What services do you have on your account? Do you have the NAV option because that might make a difference. How did you create a WiFi Hotspot with ATT?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Can you tell me how you did that because everyone says that does not work. What services do you have on your account? Do you have the NAV option because that might make a difference. How did you create a WiFi Hotspot with ATT?
Are you running the "Porsche Connect" App or the Porsche Car Connect App". Want to make sure becaseu they are different apps and i was told that the Cayman onlky supports the Vodafone Porsche Car Connect App.

Here is the Porsche Connect App - ‎Porsche Connect App

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I went to the Porsche/ATT site and the Cayman is not an option. Can you tell me how you go the service.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Are you running the "Porsche Connect" App or the Porsche Car Connect App". Want to make sure becaseu they are different apps and i was told that the Cayman onlky supports the Vodafone Porsche Car Connect App.

Here is the Porsche Connect App - ‎Porsche Connect App
First, I received for 6 months free Vodaphone WIFI and 12 months free Porsche Connect Services Apps as shown above. These Services APPs can only be accessed with a WIFI hot spot in your Porsche. When my Vodaphone WIFI expired, I lost these APPs, then regained them with Porsche ATT WIFI which I now pay for.
Second, to use the "CONNECT" app on your smart phone" you must be in the vehicle and connected to Porsche ATT WIFI this APP accesses the services attached above.
Third, you must register on line to My Porsche with your personal data and VIN and pairing code to set up this APP.
Fourth, to use the other APP "CAR CONNECT", you must also register with your VIN and different pairing code. Then the APP will prompt you to set a 4 digit PIN and you are now all set to use remote services sucha s "find my Car, Messages, My Car and Security. If you call this number +1 800 767 7243 and say "Car Connect" a representative will give you your pairing code for "Car Connect"

I hope this clarifies their muddy process. LOL Good luck!

Attachments

·
Registered
123 Posts
I went to the Porsche/ATT site and the Cayman is not an option. Can you tell me how you go the service.
You can only acccess Porsche ATT through the "My Porsche" website online. First you must regisiter then you will find a window if you scroll down for Porsche Connect Store

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You can only acccess Porsche ATT through the "My Porsche" website online. First you must regisiter then you will find a window if you scroll down for Porsche Connect Store
Thanks for taking the time to explain all this I really appreciate it. I have to say though after hearing the explanations I don’t think it’s worth it. I’ll just stay with the car connect. The other features are not much use to me especially if I have to use them on the phone in the car. I don’t even take my phone out of the Center console once I start my six speed manual. Dangerous using a phone in the car in the first place and useless if you’re driving a clutch.

Thx again!!!

·
Registered
903 Posts
I would imagine their database is broken. The 2021s have the same PCM as the older 718s, and I have AT&T working with my 2018 CS just fine.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would imagine their database is broken. The 2021s have the same PCM as the older 718s, and I have AT&T working with my 2018 CS just fine.
But correct me if I’m wrong according to what user Rjzey said. Porsch Connect not porsch car connect only works with AT&T when you’re in the actual car on the Porsche Wi-Fi hotspot?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Porsche's alliance with ATT is only available on "My Porsche" once you join, a WIFI hot spot will appear. Note, the hot spot does not say "ATT". Also, PCM services will not work with you own iphone cell WIFI hot spot. I already tried that.

·
Registered
123 Posts
But correct me if I’m wrong according to what user Rjzey said. Porsch Connect not porsch car connect only works with AT&T when you’re in the actual car on the Porsche Wi-Fi hotspot?
That is correct. I know there are many Cons, the big Pro is that you can run your smart phone and apps like Waze using Porsche/ATT wifi especially where there is limited cell service.

·
Registered
123 Posts
on another subject...does anyone know how to turn off the 3 cylinder mode on the 4.0 NA engine?

·
Registered
123 Posts
That is correct. I know there are many Cons, the big Pro is that you can run your smart phone and apps like Waze using Porsche/ATT wifi especially where there is limited cell service.
to add to my answer to mikedvzo's question, Porsche/ATT wifi is not available on your smartphone from, say from your driveway or house. you must be connected via your vehicle. The bean counters at Porsche figured this as a revenue loss.

·
Registered
123 Posts
All said, I was driving through the mountains in Pennsyvania and with my Porsche/Att wifi, my apps did not lose service.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thx but Not sure the advantage of that since the AT&T Wi-Fi hotspot relies on AT&T cell service and I have AT&T cell service on my phone so either way Waze is going to lose its mind once the data service goes out Which it will at the same time as my phone goes out unless I get a little better coverage with the car I’m preemie that happen so in frequently

1 - 20 of 38 Posts