Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a fun afternoon at the track last Wednesday in what we call an Intermediate session which is mainly average drivers. There were some very cool cars so thought I'd post for some of you guys.
First video is of a G82 M4. I was surprised it wasn't faster in a straight line for a 480hp car but is about the same as my 2.5T. However, still couldn't get around him as we are not meant to overtake in the corners and he would not pull over for some reason, but I did get some good footage, and one pass at the end of a 140mph straight which is not ideal! I still prefer the F80 M3 but both series are nice looking cars. Obviously the G82 can drive a lot better than what this guy was doing but good to see these cars on the track.
Second video has all sorts of cars including Lamborghini, Ferrari and McLaren. Maybe some of you guys know what models they are?

·
Registered
2019 Cayman S, Cobb Stage 1 OTS, BMC Air Filter, Soul Catted Downpipe, Center Radiator
247 Posts
Had a fun afternoon at the track last Wednesday in what we call an Intermediate session which is mainly average drivers. There were some very cool cars so thought I'd post for some of you guys.
First video is of a G82 M4. I was surprised it wasn't faster in a straight line for a 480hp car but is about the same as my 2.5T. However, still couldn't get around him as we are not meant to overtake in the corners and he would not pull over for some reason, but I did get some good footage, and one pass at the end of a 140mph straight which is not ideal! I still prefer the F80 M3 but both series are nice looking cars. Obviously the G82 can drive a lot better than what this guy was doing but good to see these cars on the track.
Second video has all sorts of cars including Lamborghini, Ferrari and McLaren. Maybe some of you guys know what models they are?

I am glad you enjoyed your track day. Nice vids, thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That BMW driver being a bit of an arse.
Yes, most people are really courteous and check their mirrors. As you know its really easy to stay on a line and lift off the gas to let someone pass. There are a lot of opportunities for ducking in under brakes but many of these drivers are not looking and will cut in on you causing an accident. Need to be even more patient on the track than the morning commute!

·
Registered
'18 718 CS, Pdk, Night Blue met. Agate grey int. 14 way H/V seats20" Carrera, PSE, PrmPkg
169 Posts
Was there an option to go through the pits and re-enter in space on the track?

Half a lap of that and they're not giving a point by!

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Was there an option to go through the pits and re-enter in space on the track?

Half a lap of that and they're not giving a point by!
Yes, you can always go back into pits and re-enter but in this "Intermediate" session you ineveitably catch up to someone again, although everyone else was very courteous. I normally slow down to make a gap but this guy was going so slow I'd just catch him again. Anyway I was happy to see how the new M4 performs but I'd hate behind this guy on a highway.
Where are the flaggers with the blue w/yellow strip flag telling BMW dude to let you pass?
On this track they normally have blue lights that flash that worn drivers about congestion. There is a few flag bearers around the place but not sure if they were doing their job. With that said this is meant to be more a fun/non-timed session rather than anything competitive.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That looks like spectacular fun. I've never raced on a track but I have to say, if someone was on my arse for more than a turn or 2 I'd let them by.
You should give track driving a go. Maybe start with a smaller/slower track or autokahna. I was really slow on my first outing but once I learnt about the slip angle and gained confidence in the car I was going much faster. I'd watch this guy Sebastian Vittel on Youtube setting fast times on various tracks in his 718 GTS and I never thought I'd be able to drive my car as fast as he does. Now that I'm a bit faster and still improving it is really impressive to see what these cars are capable of and its quite satisfying to get that smooth lap in and set a PB.

·
Registered
Waiter's Club
228 Posts
You should give track driving a go.
I've looked into the cost at a track nearby. Track fees and insurance aren't out of the realm of possibilities, but it sounds addictive. I'll soon need the track days to get a dopamine rush. Pretty soon I'm living in a van down by the river just to pay for tires, brakes and suspension. And of course I'll need a GTS instead of a 2.0L. :eek:

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
I've looked into the cost at a track nearby. Track fees and insurance aren't out of the realm of possibilities, but it sounds addictive. I'll soon need the track days to get a dopamine rush. Pretty soon I'm living in a van down by the river just to pay for tires, brakes and suspension. And of course I'll need a GTS instead of a 2.0L. :eek:
Oh lord...you just described my death spiral in detail, almost down to the bridge abutment I now call home.

• Haha
Reactions: Scribbler

·
Registered
Waiter's Club
228 Posts
Oh lord...you just described my death spiral in detail, almost down to the bridge abutment I now call home.
Well, this seems an appropriate time to tell you my tree magnet story. I was 16 and only had a learner's permit. I convinced my friend to loan me his car while at work to run some errands (joy ride). I gunned the engine during a left turn to squeeze between oncoming cars. I made it through the cars but hit the curb, bounced across the road and hit a tree. There were bushes involved too. Is this a coincidence or a "sign"?

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Well, this seems an appropriate time to tell you my tree magnet story. I was 16 and only had a learner's permit. I convinced my friend to loan me his car while at work to run some errands (joy ride). I gunned the engine during a left turn to squeeze between oncoming cars. I made it through the cars but hit the curb, bounced across the road and hit a tree. There were bushes involved too. Is this a coincidence or a "sign"?
Oh my, that is one embarrassing and potentially painful life lesson. Glad you made it through to the other side!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts