Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm coming up on the 1 year anniversary of the car, so the free trials are over. I renewed my Porsche Connect "Navigation and Infotainment" package, which is grossly over price but what the ****. However, there are also the other services (and this is why we have two different apps) - there are the services from Vodafone Telematics. I need to decide what I'm doing with those as well.

The car came with the "Remote" service, which lets me see where the car is from my phone, mileage, lock the doors, etc. I like that one and I think I'll keep that one.

Then there's the "Safety" service, which basically has two components. One is that you can call for roadside assistance from the app. Right before the call the app sends some telemetry:
  • phone number
  • ignition key status
  • mileage
  • fuel level
  • tyre pressure
Also if an airbag is triggered it will send the car location to their "Security Operations Center" which contacts emergency services. Just because of the airbag thing I might get that one. (They didn't give me a free year of that.)

Then there's the "security" service, which seems to allow you to report a theft and then their security folks work the cops to find the car.

For all 3 services it's a bundle of $299/yr. Here's how they break down:

• Remote only - $119
  • Safety only - $159
  • Security only - $219
  • Remote + Safety - $189
  • Remote + Security - $239
  • Safety + Security - $259
They also have cheaper options for 2 years of service.

So I'm looking at the "Remote + Safety" option. Regardless of 1 or 2 year subscriptions the "Security" service is about an extra $10 month. Anyone think it's worth it? Anyone have experience with the safety option?

· Registered
2,592 Posts
I'm coming up on the 1 year anniversary of the car, so the free trials are over.
So I'm looking at the "Remote + Safety" option. Regardless of 1 or 2 year subscriptions the "Security" service is about an extra $10 month. Anyone think it's worth it? Anyone have experience with the safety option?
I recently went through the same evaluation. The services you mention are components of Porsche Car Connect, not directly related to Porsche Connect. I don't have the Nav stuff so I didn't have to think about that.

I decided the Remote feature was cheap insurance. There are many things you'd spend $120 on without thinking further, for example gas for a long trip. By that standard the Remote feature is a bit frivolous but not ridiculous. I didn't use it often but was glad I had it to check up on the car in various situations. I never used the security fences but I would if I ever had to leave the car with valet parking or unattended for long periods not in my garage.

The Safety feature would seem to depend on your location. Its main benefit is quick response in the event of a problem. For a breakdown it didn't seem worthwhile simply because you can always make a cell phone call if you have cell coverage. My research into Vodaphone told me that they use 3G phone service, so if you don't have cell coverage then the car won't either. For accident response, if you live in a sparsely populated area where someone might not see you for a while then it's also good insurance. I live in The Land Where You Can Never Use Your High Beams. Plus I don't drive as aggressively as I used to ?. So if I have an accident and am unable to call for help "manually" it is likely someone would come along in less than a minute and stop to help and make a 911 call. Hence I didn't pick up the Safety feature.

That's how I read it. YMMV of course.

· Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Safety feature would seem to depend on your location. Its main benefit is quick response in the event of a problem. For a breakdown it didn't seem worthwhile simply because you can always make a cell phone call if you have cell coverage.
Based on the screen shots from the Vodafone website you're still using your cell phone, it's just that they talk to the car first and send some data along with the roadside assistance request.

My research into Vodaphone told me that they use 3G phone service, so if you don't have cell coverage then the car won't either.
In the USA Vodafone is using AT&T and my cell is AT&T, so that's 100% true. :)

For accident response, if you live in a sparsely populated area where someone might not see you for a while then it's also good insurance.
I do go on fun drives in less populated areas, that's true.

Did you consider the security/anti-theft service?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.