Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any experience in the UK of the Porsche driving experience track days at Silverstone?

There seem to be two options that I'm interested in - the 180min track experience in "their" car (£580) or a half-day "warm up" in my own car for £350.

I like the idea of doing it in my car but I did a track day in my own TVR years ago and it was very hard on the tyres and brakes. A similar day in an Aston Martin more recently (in their car) was more relaxed doing 100mph emergency stops knowing I didn't have to replace the brake pads.

I guess the "warm up" is more about exploring the car than thrashing the **** out of it. Anyway, thought i'd check if anyone had a view :)

cheers

·
Registered
304 Posts
You can go as fast and push the car as hard as you want or don't want at the PEC. You have an instructor with you at all times and you never really go too fast (90mph). It is a great experience for you to see just how capable your car is. I have been several times. Also if you are a PCGB member they do member only days which are cheaper.

That said it is a Porsche and is designed to be driven hard on a track.

·
Super Moderator
1,887 Posts
You can go as fast and push the car as hard as you want or don't want at the PEC. You have an instructor with you at all times and you never really go too fast (90mph). It is a great experience for you to see just how capable your car is. I have been several times. Also if you are a PCGB member they do member only days which are cheaper.

That said it is a Porsche and is designed to be driven hard on a track.
For everyone:

Please note that the OP is in the U.K., and EU options for this are somewhat different than in the U.S. The key difference is that one can not use a personal car at any of the U.S. events.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Please note that the OP is in the U.K., and EU options for this are different. Key differences:
- The event is held at an independent track (Silverstone) and not at a Porsche facility.
- In the U.S., there is no option to use your own car, whether at a Porsche facility (PEC) or at an independent track (longer Porsche Driving Experience sessions).
I am in England too and have been to the PEC (Porsche Experience Centre) at Silverstone several times, I have used my own cars and used Porsches own cars too.

Run by Porsche at a separate area located in the Silverstone Circuit facility.

·
Super Moderator
1,887 Posts
I am in England too and have been to the PEC (Porsche Experience Centre) at Silverstone several times, I have used my own cars and used Porsches own cars too.

Run by Porsche at a separate area located in the Silverstone Circuit facility.
My mistake! Sorry about that. I've corrected and re-contextualized my initial post.

There's still a key difference: In the U.S., one's personal car cannot be used at any Porsche Driving Experience event.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I’m in the States and I am going to Atlanta the first week of May to drive a manual 718 Cayman. I thought it would be fun to learn more about the car and visit the PEC.

·
Super Moderator
1,887 Posts
I’m in the States and I am going to Atlanta the first week of May to drive a manual 718 Cayman. I thought it would be fun to learn more about the car and visit the PEC.
Oh it is; I did it (albeit in a PDK 718). Well worth it!

Reactions: Guaji

·
Registered
161 Posts
I’m going next week as well. Can’t wait to try out a 718BS on their course. Should be fun.

Rippey

Reactions: Guaji

·
Registered
153 Posts
Since you both are going to Atlanta PEC soon, let us know about your experience when you get back. We will pick up our GTS there later this summer.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Since you both are going to Atlanta PEC soon, let us know about your experience when you get back. We will pick up our GTS there later this summer.
I’ll let you know how it goes...the course I’ll be doing is called “Master the Manual”. Even though I have only owned manuals, I thought that it would be appropriate, since my 718 is a manual.

·
Registered
867 Posts
I will be at PEC LA to do the CS driving experience on May 12th. And they're being really nice - only 3 of their drivers do the on-track education for the new car delivery program, and they're going to have one of them be my instructor, because I'll be coming back down hopefully in July to pick up my car.

·
Registered
720 Posts
We did Atlanta PEC in late Nov. 2017 (I posted something about it a while back).

Overall, it was great fun and kind of weirdly neat to flog someone else's car (though it was an identical 2.0 PDK Cayman to the new car we were picking up).

The track is short, narrow and twisty (some would say it's "technical" and others would say "Mickey Mouse").

It is surrounded by guard rail and has virtually no run off. The twisty shape tends to keep things at lower speeds (I doubt I cracked 100 mph). I spend a lot time running my vintage car on various northeast race tracks and I really like tracks with runoff (such as Summit Point, NJMP, Pitt Race, etc).

The autocross, the kick-plate and the wet skid plate were terrific.

Since I already get plenty of track time doing other things, I split the session with my wife....she had a really good time and is *still* talking about it.

Overall, it was great fun but that guard rail is intimidating. We wrote about our adventure here:

http://vintageracer.tripod.com/trip.html

·
Registered
720 Posts
There are several on-line videos of the track (we weren't allowed to use our camera.....but somehow, some of these folks did).

Here's a GT3 doing it:

Reactions: Guaji and WRTFLYR

·
Super Moderator
1,887 Posts
We did Atlanta PEC in late Nov. 2017 (I posted something about it a while back).

Overall, it was great fun and kind of weirdly neat to flog someone else's car (though it was an identical 2.0 PDK Cayman to the new car we were picking up).

The track is short, narrow and twisty (some would say it's "technical" and others would say "Mickey Mouse").

It is surrounded by guard rail and has virtually no run off. The twisty shape tends to keep things at lower speeds (I doubt I cracked 100 mph). I spend a lot time running my vintage car on various northeast race tracks and I really like tracks with runoff (such as Summit Point, NJMP, Pitt Race, etc).

The autocross, the kick-plate and the wet skid plate were terrific.

Since I already get plenty of track time doing other things, I split the session with my wife....she had a really good time and is *still* talking about it.

Overall, it was great fun but that guard rail is intimidating.
Yep: The guard rail is intimidating, particularly in one transition that's a blind left-hand turn over a swell.

To take that corner at good speed, one has to settle the car with throttle going uphill -- and after negotiating a tight left-to-right slalom transition that unsettles the car if not done nearly perfectly -- then aim to apex the turn late with the guard rail as close to the left side of the car as possible. That turn starts the track's fastest straight, which isn't all that long and ends with a sharp dive right into a sweeper right in front of the PEC building ...

It's a very technical track, which makes it great for 'slower' cars like the base 718. >:D

Best part of the experience is the track time, the kick-plate (nothing like the feeling of how your car feels out of control, particularly compared to other non-mid-engine cars), and the acceleration runs. You'll learn how to work Launch Control on a PDK ... and, if you're lucky to be in line behind, say, a 911 Turbo, get to hear some other howling, hehe ...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts