Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello-

Avid Porsche enthusiast here and my first post here - that I thought was important to share...

I ran across this article (Dated today) this morning and was wondering if anyone else had heard about this - if it is even true - or some other PR tactic?

PCNA's CEO basically said “You won’t see anything lower than the current Boxster model. We had many discussions about this in the group and the decision was made that the time is not right,”

Article Here:
Porsche's Entry-Level Roadster Curbed Again » AutoGuide.com News

·
Registered
107 Posts
I did and frankly I'm unsurprised by it. http://www.718forum.com/forum/new-2016-718-general-discussion-forum/1234-718-sure.html

Entry-level roadster: Porsche developers continue to look at this segment, and a Boxster-based mid-engine roadster named the 718 is under study. If approved, the 718 could arrive as soon as 2016, according to multiple reports. The 718 would be shorter, lighter and less expensive than the Boxster, with unique body panels. It could be the first to receive the four-cylinder boxer engine under development at Porsche. Pricing would start at $45,000 to $50,000.
Then when the cayman spy shots came out and it was nearly unchanged we should of known something was up.

Logically it makes sense. the 718 is going to bump up against the top tier Audi TT's, TT or Porsche, I know which decision I make EVERYDAY. But thats bad, the TT is built on an amortised, modular architecture, the Porsche would be on a low volume new ground up platform.

If its one things ther Germans do exceptionally well, its math.

·
Registered
459 Posts
It's too bad they made the decision to curb the project. I think it could do very well especially considering the current trend in the market and how like that is to stick for a while to come.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I wonder what the thought behind the decision was in the end. I thought it made sense since other up market brands have been making more entry-level models. I thought Porsche would just follow suit.

Does Porsche not want to lower its brand? Would it not be profitable?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Looks to be true, Motor Authority is confirming the Porsche Execs have dismissed the idea of a lower entry version Porsche coming. Looks like we will not be getting the budget Porsche afterall.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Makes me wonder if the vehicle will ultimately surface one day as a Volkswagen model
Too costly IMO, it doesn't fit into the neat modular boxes VW operates from, again I think it all comes down to the TT. A VW roadster (hopefully it would turn out better than EOS) would more likley borrow from the TT then resurrect a RWD porsche project...

I don't know, but does anyone know if Porsche was perhaps having problems trying to shorten the Cayman platform. I could see that happening and then deciding a ground up project just to be too costly??

·
Registered
459 Posts
Plus this was already suggested to come in at an MSRP that was affordable enough for a lot of people and having some super cheap Porsche is a good way to go as people will like it more for the fact that it is a Porsche. Most would rather spend money on that than something with a VW badge.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi all, posting from Belgium here.

Bummer if the 718 project is really axed. I had my heart set on it as soon as I read Georg Kacher's article in CAR magazine this summer. How can such a competent reporter get it so wrong? I can hardly believe it. He has very good contacts inside Porsche.

Who's that Porsche North America guy anyway? I quote:

Rather than taking a risk on diluting the brand with an entry-level sports car, Von Platen said the company prefers to offer used cars through its certified pre-owned program as featureda more affordable means of entry to the brand.

Diluting the brand?? The Cayenne did that years ago. No matter how much power you put in the engine, that thing is not a proper Porsche. OTOH, I fail to grasp how a light roadster with a 280 HP engine behind you would dilute the brand in any way.

Some folks just don't buy used cars. In my case, my wife forbids it! ;-)

And it's not just the price of purchase. A lighter car uses less petrol and goes faster around curves. It's more sporty! I thought a Porsche is supposed to be sporty.

I hope this Von Platen dude is smply trying to keep up their used car sales until 2016...

·
Registered
459 Posts
I don't think porsche needs to worry about diluting the brand, i don't see it as a concern of theirs, their latest vehicle, the Macan can be seen as them diluting, but i sure don't think it isn't. If they were willling to build that, i don't see why not build the 718

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hi all, posting from Belgium here.

Bummer if the 718 project is really axed. I had my heart set on it as soon as I read Georg Kacher's article in CAR magazine this summer. How can such a competent reporter get it so wrong? I can hardly believe it. He has very good contacts inside Porsche.

Who's that Porsche North America guy anyway? I quote:

Rather than taking a risk on diluting the brand with an entry-level sports car, Von Platen said the company prefers to offer used cars through its certified pre-owned program as featureda more affordable means of entry to the brand.

Diluting the brand?? The Cayenne did that years ago. No matter how much power you put in the engine, that thing is not a proper Porsche. OTOH, I fail to grasp how a light roadster with a 280 HP engine behind you would dilute the brand in any way.

Some folks just don't buy used cars. In my case, my wife forbids it! ;-)

And it's not just the price of purchase. A lighter car uses less petrol and goes faster around curves. It's more sporty! I thought a Porsche is supposed to be sporty.

I hope this Von Platen dude is smply trying to keep up their used car sales until 2016...
you do raise a good point, CPO sales are basically where entry level Porsche buyers come from... could be posturing, we'll see...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts