Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2 hours of track time today ice hill,kick plate, low friction course, low friction circle, handling course, acceleration straight.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I received a gift certificate, i don't auto cross and first time with an instructor. So it was worth it for me.

Attachments

·
892 Posts
You get a handling course thrown in when you buy any new Porsche in the U.K (Silverstone). Is that not the case everywhere? I've been on a couple previously, as well as other courses & have one course outstanding. They are well worth doing as you can find out a great deal about what your car can do, as well as improve your car control. Also, they are great fun (especially the kick plate & Ice hill). It's all carried out in their vehicles & under controlled circumstances with one to one tuition, so if you do get a chance then go. I paid for my wife to do the course last time as well & whilst she was initially nervous she absolutely loved it & felt she learnt a great deal. Guess what? She want's to go this time as well, so I guess I'll be another few quid light in the pocket.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When i ordered my Cayman on Easter they didn't thrown in a handling course.

Collin

·
892 Posts
I pretty much took it for granted that a course was thrown in for everyone buying a new Porsche, as I've had them with all three cars I've bought in the U.K. Nor is it dealer specific, as I bought my last car from a different dealer due to the fact they offered a better deal. An invite just arrives via e-mail from the Porsche handling centre located in Silverstone. By recollection about six weeks after delivery & that's exactly what happened this time. It would actually make more sense to me to offer the course before the customer takes delivery, but for some reason that isn't the way they do it, or rather that hasn't been my experience. For anyone in the U.K offered a course I've got a good tip for you. Try to book to do the course on a Friday morning preceding a race weekend. The Porsche experience centre is located just off the Hanger straight & actually inside the main gate for Silverstone track. If there is racing on at the weekend then usually the practice sessions will be carried out on the Friday. Being as you are already inside the complex, after you finish your course you have full access to wander around & spectate anything going on. There is also a great viewing gallery on top of the roof of the Experience Centre itself with fantastic views over the main circuit. Last time I was able to time my visit to watch the practice sessions for the LMP World Endurance Championship race which was taking part that weekend.

·
Registered
157 Posts
You'd think they would throw in a track day for everyone, but I can understand if you don't live particularly close to one and it's just not worth the trip. So why throw it in?

·
892 Posts
I actually live a few hundred miles each way travelling distance from the U.K experience centre. In the past I've just made a 3 or 4 day event of it, booked into a hotel for that period & done & seen other things in the area as well. The basic handling course last for approximately 4 hours (in their vehicles so you don't have to worry about your own) & also includes lunch (fabulous food prepared by expert chefs). Despite having done the course a couple of times before (as well as other courses) I'll still do it as it's great fun & does refresh your handling skills. As I stated I'll also pay for my wife to do so again as well & that's not exactly cheap (£472.00). Obviously with travelling, paying for accommodation, paying for my wife to do the course, additional costs of activities & restaurants etc for a few days it isn't going to be cheap (it never is, despite my actual course being free). It is however well worth doing & allows you to explore some of the capabilities of your vehicle safely & under expert tuition. You really should try a course at least once should the opportunity arise, even if in your own country it isn't free.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts