Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got my PEC (at Silverstone) coming up shortly and wanted any tips on how to maximise the time with the instructor
Cheers

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've got my PEC (at Silverstone) coming up shortly and wanted any tips on how to maximise the time with the instructor
Cheers
I’ve got my second one coming up in August and, if it’s the same as last time, they will discuss with before you go out on track exactly what you want from the session. I liked practicing on the skid pan and finding the correct line on the track. The two hours will just fly by so perhaps work out which parts of your driving you want to improve and ask them to incorporate it into your session.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I had my Porsche experience day at Silverstone at the end of May, it was fantastic!

At the moment due to COVID the instructor is in a separate car to you (usually its the same car). Therefore instead of being instructed from within the vehicle you are instructed over a radio with the instructor driving in front.

Personally I preferred this as it felt as though I had more freedom and head space to get familiar with the car.

·
Registered
59 Posts
The main thing to remember is it's your day so the instructor will listen to what you want to get out of it and try to accommodate that. One session I did a couple of years ago was in a Macan during the winter because I wanted to get a feel for what it was like in slippery, cold and wet conditions. Time was well spent.

The last session I did in a 718 Boxster in July last year was spent mostly on the low friction surface as I wanted to see how easy it was to drift the car and as mentioned above the instructor was in another car following behind. I spent the last 20 minutes doing donuts with him giving instructions from the grass bank over the walkie talkie. Brilliant fun :)

I've also got a session booked in august in a 4.0GTS while I'm waiting for my 25 Edition to come but haven't decided what I'm going to do in that yet.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool. Thanks all
The main thing I’m after is getting the braking, turn in and acceleration sorted before, in and around bends.
Never quite got that right before.
Secondary is how to handle and drift and understeer.
Otherwise drive it quickly and safely!!!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Cool. Thanks all
The main thing I’m after is getting the braking, turn in and acceleration sorted before, in and around bends.
Never quite got that right before.
Secondary is how to handle and drift and understeer.
Otherwise drive it quickly and safely!!!
Just tell the instructor that and you'll be sorted.

·
Registered
718 GT4
257 Posts
The good news is the instructors are now back in the car, following the lifting of Covid restrictions. I’m sure you’ll really enjoy the day.

I’m down there myself in two weeks - this time in my own car.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I went last year and if you take someone with you, you'll both get either breakfast and lunch or lunch and afternoon tea but make sure you tell them you're bringing someone with you. You can also split your driving time with your guest. I let my wife drive for the first hour and a half then I had the last hour and a half. You then get to enjoy the centre. There isn't much of a shop there but I would recommend going to the roof as there is a great view of Silverstone race circuit.

As has been said before, discuss with your instructor exactly what you want. I said 'let go and play chase' and thats exactly what we did. Brilliant day.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah. We’ve booked for two for lunch and tea.
Not sure about sharing the driving 😉
And as an aside, the Silverstone Museum is a must if you can spare 2-4 hours. It’s fantastic.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I was in PEC LA last weekend. The instructors there are still in their own car with a walkie talkie to communicate instructions. What others have said is accurate, tell the instructor what you want to focus on and they'll do it. My instructor was great and I feel I got a lot of value out of it, though the 90 minutes just fly by.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts