Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,492 Posts
Oh dear. One state / five hours away. Eureka Springs has some awesome antiquing spots, too.

Any fellow members in/around the ArkLaTex up for a road trip?

·
Super Moderator
479 Posts
11 1/2 hours from Houston if I include the Talimena Scenic Drive (I've done it earlier this summer).

9 1/2 hours if I go straight.

Whoever goes, take a look at the Thorncrown Chapel nearby:

IMG_6797DT.jpg IMG_6799DT.jpg IMG_6800DT.jpg

It was designed by E. Fay Jones, an apprentice of Frank Lloyd Wright 'and was selected for the 2006 Twenty-five Year Award by the American Institute of Architects as well as receiving its listing in 2000 on the National Register of Historic Places,[1] a status not granted to buildings fewer than fifty years old unless exceptionally significant.[4]' according to Wikipedia

If you make the pilgrimage to Eureka Springs, arrange to visit Bentonville, about an hour away, not because it is the headquarters of Wal-Mart, but because of the Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art, a spectacular museum funded by the Walton family to the tune of $2 bn!

I made the trip in May, on my way to NYC, specifically to see the Thorncrown Chapel and the Crystal Bridges. I probably had $50 worth of tire wear:eek: in the Talimena Scenic Drive at the encouragement and direction of Viffermike!:D

·
Registered
338 Posts
Mildred B Cooper Chapel, also designed by Fay Jones, is a few minutes north of Crystal Bridges and is another must see building in the area.

·
Super Moderator
479 Posts
Mildred B Cooper Chapel, also designed by Fay Jones, is a few minutes north of CB and is another must see building in the area.
We've seen the Mildred B Cooper Chapel too, in Bentonville. The structural elements in this one are metal, while in the Thorncrown Chapel are wood.

IMG_6703DT.jpg IMG_6692DT.jpg IMG_6693DT.jpg

·
Registered
38 Posts
I just signed up to attend this event.

Not including the Suncoast 718 Project Car, I think I am the only USA based 718 owner with Cargraphic headers, down pipes, and sport catalytic converter.

Any forum members that want to hear how great the 2.0L turbo engine sounds with this set-up should come by and visit my car at this event.

My other Porsche friends all have 911's, and they are very impressed (and maybe slightly jealous:sneaky:) of how awesome my 718 sounds.

Here's a pic of my car if you want to visit with me at this event.

I just installed the 20" turbo wheels and should still have them installed for this event (unless the weather turns cold).

Happy Porsching!

·
Super Moderator
1,492 Posts
OK: I'm game if anyone else here from North Texas is game. (I know a bunch from the area are going -- there's a great Google Maps view on the event's website that shows the location of every registrant. It's likely by extension of the local PCA chapter. I'm a member but haven't attended any events, so ... )

So: road trip, anyone?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just signed up to attend this event.

Not including the Suncoast 718 Project Car, I think I am the only USA based 718 owner with Cargraphic headers, down pipes, and sport catalytic converter.

Any forum members that want to hear how great the 2.0L turbo engine sounds with this set-up should come by and visit my car at this event.

My other Porsche friends all have 911's, and they are very impressed (and maybe slightly jealous:sneaky:) of how awesome my 718 sounds.

Here's a pic of my car if you want to visit with me at this event.

I just installed the 20" turbo wheels and should still have them installed for this event (unless the weather turns cold).

Happy Porsching!

View attachment 24189
Those wheels look amazing.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Those wheels look amazing.
Thank you.

The Turbo wheels are the only Porsche brand wheel choice for our vehicles that are "forged".

I think they look a lot better in person than on the configurator or photos. The inside is painted dark gray which isn't apparent until you look at them up close. (The picture below kind of shows this)

The Turbo wheels (which are taller and wider) actually seemed lighter than the standard 18" wheels I took off my Boxster. The difference in tire weight could also be a factor.

I'm not sure I could justify the cost of buying any of the Porsche brand wheels from the dealer, but I got a great deal from another PCA member who never used them.

There are a lot of good aftermarket options for forged wheels.

I still might buy an 18" forged wheel set from BC forged (https://www.bcforged-na.com/).

Their forged wheels are very reasonably priced.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts