Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took our Cayman on a tour with our local Porsche Club (NNJR-PCA) yesterday.

We drove en masse from the Morristown New Jersey area to Sandy Hook to see various lighthouses and museums. We had about 47 cars (almost all Porsches) with about 90 people in total attending. We had an excellent meal at Bahr's (seafood place). Bahr's has been there since around 1907. I had a long chat with the current owner and his son. Nice folks and very accommodating to our parking needs.

This was considered a PCA "social" event. The club also runs autocrosses, rallies, track days and even off-road events for the Porsche SUVs.

For those of you who do not know about this area, Sandy Hook lighthouse is the oldest lighthouse in the USA (1764). During the Revolutionary War the Brits took it over. When it was built it was 500 feet from the water. But due to the shifting barrier-island sands, it's now 1.5 miles from the water. In later years, the island was also a military base with Nike missiles ready to shoot if the Russians attacked New York City. There is lots of evidence of the old military site....old cannons, inert missiles, huge shell casings, officer's housing, etc.

The NY City skyline is just across the water from Sandy Hook with a beautiful view. It was probably a great place to be assigned to.

It was fun driving our conga line of so many P-cars. Lots of folks honked and gave thumbs up.

We have tons of friends in motorsports but we are new members to this club. Still. everyone was very friendly and welcoming. We randomly sat with a couple we did not know. They had just bought a GT4 and had run just one track day (at NJMP) with it. As it turned out they also had a '71 MGB (we have a '69 MGB). And they are restoring a FIAT 131. Some of my best races ever have been against a buddy with a FIAT Abarth 1000TC/GT.....so we had lots to talk about. We talked about T5 at NJMP, IMS bearings, FIAT rust, MGB rust, community volunteering, family, etc.

Mine was the only 718 Cayman in attanedance. We followed another white 6-cylinder Cayman most of the way. There were at least two other 718 Boxters plus lots of older Boxters. Also, some nice air-cooled 911s, a 356, at least one 914 and a number of transaxle cars (924, 944, etc).

Since our Cayman was the only new one there, lots of people talked to us about it and we got lots of great comments. Absolutely no one commented about "that engine sound"....all of that seems like internet nonsense that does not apply to actual, real-life people.

I have no plans on running any track days with the Cayman. We already have two dedicated vintage race cars and are fully booked for races in '18 with our other club (VRG). But we plan on running some of the road rallies and more social events.

Good fun.

Attachments

·
Registered
699 Posts
Thanks for sharing. My wife and I also attended a couple of PCA social drives by now. Great fun with kind and interesting people. Last event I had the pleasure to follow a GT4. There is just something special being part of a Porsche convoy zipping through the countryside. In the picture we just caught up to a student driver...lol :D

Attachments

·
Registered
274 Posts
Looks like fun....beautiful day for a ride. I always seem to be working on the days my local PCA has a gathering.....hopefully I’ll get to one soon.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for sharing. My wife and I also attended a couple of PCA social drives by now. Great fun with kind and interesting people. Last event I had the pleasure to follow a GT4. There is just something special being part of a Porsche convoy zipping through the countryside. In the picture we just caught up to a student driver...lol :D

Part of our group got stuck behind a "slow poke" and a Ford Model A that was behind our group cut out and passed us all......he hit the Ahooga horn as he passed us :)

One of the photos shows him passing me.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Part of our group got stuck behind a "slow poke" and a Ford Model A that was behind our group cut out and passed us all......he hit the Ahooga horn as he passed us :)

One of the photos shows him passing me.
That's too funny! I was wondering what the heck was going on in that picture.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts