Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I'm in the waiter's club and spend most of my days looking up various Porsche related stuff to tide me over until my delivery. I came across the Porsche Track Precision App and thought it was pretty cool but can't tell what options if any I need to add to my build in order to use the app. Can anyone help me out?

This is the app I'm talking about:

‎Porsche Track Precision on the App Store (apple.com)

·
Registered
472 Posts
I have the same question into my SA, who has forwarded it onto Porsche. I'm 99% sure it requires Sport Chrono AND Navigation (with the accompanying Porsche Connect).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So if I reading your replies correctly I would need:
  1. Sport Chrono Package - $2,610
  2. Navigation including Porsche Connect - $2,320
  3. Active Porsche Connect Subscription - Some annual payment (I can't find the cost)
I have the sport chrono option but wasn't planning on getting the navigation option. I feel like it's to expensive considering I will be using Waze/Google maps through CarPlay and doubt I would ever use the built in maps.

I guess I will be missing out on this app which is a bummer because it looks pretty cool.

Thanks for your help guys.

@phroenips, if you hear anything different from your SA please let me know, thanks!

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Do you know if an active Connect subscription is required for even just the wifi gateway to function? i.e. using a third party app to get the telemetry data
Yes, it is Porsche we are talking about :(

My subscrisption went out a couple of weeks ago, so appn in Navi and wifi is gone.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
So if I reading your replies correctly I would need:
  1. Sport Chrono Package - $2,610
  2. Navigation including Porsche Connect - $2,320
  3. Active Porsche Connect Subscription - Some annual payment (I can't find the cost)
I have the sport chrono option but wasn't planning on getting the navigation option. I feel like it's to expensive considering I will be using Waze/Google maps through CarPlay and doubt I would ever use the built in maps.

I guess I will be missing out on this app which is a bummer because it looks pretty cool.

Thanks for your help guys.

@phroenips, if you hear anything different from your SA please let me know, thanks!
Track precision is kind of cool but thats about it.
Just as car connect and connect it gives you some stuff you dont need, but they are cool so they sell.
But there is one thing i like and that is the ability to save routes, do it live while driving or import them.

Sport chrono falls in the same category but there is a value in it when you sell your car.
The "track part" is just a big joke.......

Imho

·
Registered
131 Posts
You do not need an active Porsche Connect Subscription .
I do not have a subscription and I use the app just fine.

·
Registered
961 Posts
I also don't have Porsche Connect Subscription and I think some people have had Navigation and Car Play/AA activated on their PCM after market so also worth looking into. I think Sports Chrono is the main option you need.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Doesn't Garmin or Racecraft make a track-specific GPS device for around $1k? Seems like a better value?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I also don't have Porsche Connect Subscription and I think some people have had Navigation and Car Play/AA activated on their PCM after market so also worth looking into. I think Sports Chrono is the main option you need.
Oh that would be nice. I guess that is something I will try.

Doesn't Garmin or Racecraft make a track-specific GPS device for around $1k? Seems like a better value?
I will have to look into that. Thanks for the idea.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I do have a RaceCapture/Track MK2, which gives me the 10Hz GPS positioning and G-forces/accelerometer, but I haven't been able to figure out how to get telemetry from the vehicle like steering position, throttle position, brake pressure, etc. It's those pieces I was looking to get out of PTPA

·
Registered
131 Posts
Garmin Catalyst , awesome little box . Garmin Catalyst™ Driving Performance Optimizer | Racing

I got my car CPO , so I didn't spec it . In essence , to me , its free .

This is the footage from my Porsche App hooked up to CarPlay with the iPhone on a windshield mount

Ignore crappy lap-times :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
472 Posts
FYI, I got confirmation from Porsche (via my SA) what most of us already knew/suspected. Sport Chrono + Navigation is indeed required hardware/options to enable the Porsche Track Precision App

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
FYI, I got confirmation from Porsche (via my SA) what most of us already knew/suspected. Sport Chrono + Navigation is indeed required hardware/options to enable the Porsche Track Precision App
Thanks so much for getting confirmation. I guess it makes sense that they would need a gps antenna to track your position on the track, hence the navigation requirement. $2300 just feels like to much for navigation when I will never use the built in maps. The Garmin Catalyst shown above looks like a much better deal, especially since I doubt I will get to the track that often.

Reactions: ANGST
1 - 19 of 19 Posts