Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a boxster GTS and am thinking about getting it PPF wrapped. I got a quote from PREMIER PROTECTIVE FILMS in Fremont California and it looks like this

ClearGuard Alpha PPF
  1. Full hood – 590
  2. Full front fenders – 990
  3. Front bumper – 890
  4. Mirrors – 245
  5. Full doors – 990
  6. Rocker panels (long panel under the doors) – 590
  7. Full rear quarter panels -890
  8. Rear bumper – 890
I was wondering if I wanted to keep it under approximately $2000, which areas should I work on? Purpose is to protect the paint from rock chips.

Was thinking of doing full hood + front bumper + rocker panels ($2070)

·
Registered
266 Posts
I did similar with Xpel Ultimate- full front clip, headlights, rockers, A-pillars and hood line, mirror caps and door handle cups. Paid $2000 in the Atlanta area about a year and a half ago. The areas you've chosen are the critical ones, so good plan! To me, so worth not looking at rock chips!

What is the warranty on the ClearGuard Alpha PPF? Both Xpel and SunTek have 10 year products.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I recently purchased a boxster GTS and am thinking about getting it PPF wrapped. I got a quote from PREMIER PROTECTIVE FILMS in Fremont California and it looks like this

ClearGuard Alpha PPF
  1. Full hood – 590
  3. Front bumper – 890
  4. Mirrors – 245
  5. Full doors – 990
  8. Rear bumper – 890
I was wondering if I wanted to keep it under approximately $2000, which areas should I work on? Purpose is to protect the paint from rock chips.

I have a 2018 Cayman 1.2.3.4. has worked for me.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I did similar with Xpel Ultimate- full front clip, headlights, rockers, A-pillars and hood line, mirror caps and door handle cups. Paid $2000 in the Atlanta area about a year and a half ago. The areas you've chosen are the critical ones, so good plan! To me, so worth not looking at rock chips!

What is the warranty on the ClearGuard Alpha PPF? Both Xpel and SunTek have 10 year products.
[/
I purchased a 718 Boxster in Aug 2016 and drove it from the dealer to Recon Tech which put Excel Ultimate on the full front, mirrors, door edges and intakes. They then treated the whole car plus wheels with a nano coating called Tsunami. I am not sure you really need the Expel on the whole car. The Tsunami protects the whole car from minor abrasions and anything like bird droppings that get on the car. The main advantage to me is I have 31,000 miles on the car and have never waxes or polished it. All you do is wash and dry it. I normally wash it at a car wash with the high pressure wands and then dry it off. If it has an excessive amount of dirt then I hand wash the areas that really have a lot of dirt because I don't want to get it into the drying cloth and possibly make fine marks. Tsunami is 9 times harder than the clear coat that comes with the car. I did this on my 2014 981 Boxster and 2020 Macan. I did not put the expel on the Macan because it sits higher and is not a rock magnet.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I would also recommend a protective film for the windshield, it was about 1k and came with a 3 year OEM replacement warranty for the windshield. It has done a great job.

·
Registered
569 Posts

ClearGuard Alpha PPF
  1. Full hood – 590
  3. Front bumper – 890
  4. Mirrors – 245
  5. Full doors – 990
  8. Rear bumper – 890

I did full front and mirrors (1-4) and rocker panels for a bit under $2500. The rockers below and aft of the lower half of the side intakes seem to take the most abuse of all. Hood and front bumper are next.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I did the same on my Boxie just after getting her....Car had 8k miles, so the installer did a full polish and chip repair. I also had the rear spoiler wrapped as there was a minor scuff from the PO pulling something out of the trunk! $2,500.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Try negotiating a bit and maybe they'll work with you on the price somewhat?

·
Registered
913 Posts
I had all that done with Ceramic Pro (no PPF) in Kentucky for $2,438. I know things are more expensive in California, but is that quote really $6,075? Is that normal in California? I do have some PPF on a few CF additions (the front splitter and rear duck tail) but my detailer did those for free along with the ceramic coating I ordered.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I did full front and mirrors (1-4) and rocker panels for a bit under $2500. The rockers below and aft of the lower half of the side intakes seem to take the most abuse of all. Hood and front bumper are next.
I should've added, unless you're the original owner and want to keep the paint in as new condition, I myself don't see the need or value in covering anything beyond the panels/painted surfaces I mentioned. And if the car was previously owned, look carefully and you'll be able to see for yourself which areas will benefit (the most) from protecting.

·
Registered
832 Posts
The only item on your list not needed is the rear bumper. Every other area needs protection. Definitely do the rocker panels and intakes.
I stated in a different thread that if I was to do it again, I would get the entire car covered. These cars are so low that they are just magnets for anything kicked up. The roof panel has been hit twice, fortunately with minimal damage. I'm waiting for the big one but trying to avoid it. I'd consider having it added now but for Covid and the fact that the detailer is >100 miles away.
MOO and FWIW.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Wow, I got a great deal in Atlanta 3 years ago. After delivery at PEC, I got: bumper, hood, fenders, headlights, mirrors, rockets, quarters and spoiler (that was a surprise) done for $1200. It was done at a small shop NE of metro- dropped off at 2pm and they worked until 4am. Picked car up at noon the following day for drive home. If on a budget, highest priority is rear quarters in front and behind wheel arch, bumper, and hood. I seen very little impact on front but I cringe when washing below intake and wheel arches. The film has evidence of a lot of impact. I’m considering removing and replacing periodically in that area (and I only have 13K miles over 3 years).

·
Registered
569 Posts
What I referred to as the rocker panels might include what the OP refers to as rear quarter panels. In fact, as I mentioned, the most significant density of rash on my Cayman is just aft of the side intakes, be that part of the rocker panels or called part of the rear quarter panel. It's one continuous piece.

Also, in picking panels to cover, I was only speaking from the standpoint of probabilities. I've driven about 30Kmiles and the only nicks from road debris have been on the bumper, hood, and rockers as mentioned just above. Notably, while I have PPF on the front fenders and mirrors, they've stayed out of the fray. (Of course now that I've said that they'll probably take hits today.) That said, every square inch is vulnerable so an argument can certainly be made to cover the whole car.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I recently purchased a 718 with around 6000 miles. It was in fantastic condition but had not had any PPF. It is very clear where the risk areas are for these cars even with very low kms. The worst is the bottom/back of the rear guard (on the bumper) which has a rediculous amount of chips for such low kms. I am surprised that they sell the cars without some rubber flap or something for protection in this area. Next worse was in front of the rear guards on the lower part of the panel between the air scoops and the front of the rear guard. Also a bit along the side skirt, but surprisingly little. What is more common in that area is marks from shoes from people getting into the car and bumping it. It is surpising to me that behind the front guard seems to be free of chips. The front of the skirt seems to be wide enough to prevent any stones off the tyres hitting much of the skirt, but they seem to be able to hit the wider area further back near the intake scoops.

My biggest issue with the car is the fact it throws rocks against its own paint. I am typically pretty good at keeping a good gap from other cars and avoiding stone hits, but it you plan to drive on anything but smooth clean roads, you are going to get paint chips just from driving regardless of any other cars. I like to drive down some country roads that often have recent roadwork, so I had to do something about these areas or I would just be worried every time I heard the tinking of rocks in the wheel arches.

I decided to give it a go myself. I figured that the worst that would happen is I did a poor job and peeled it back of and got someone else to do it properly. As it happened, it turned out great! I wanted to cover only the areas that needed it so I could get the superior paint finish elsewhere. I purchased 2m of 60cm wide 3M Pro PPF. I used some baking paper taped to the car to make a template for the area I wanted. I then cut out the pieces. I ended up with a small section behind the rear guards and then a large section in front of rear guard to the air scoop and then down to the side skirt and all along under the door to the front of the sideskirt. There are join lines barely visible from the scoop back to the guard and from the scoop forward to the door (the film traces the curve of the scoop <1mm from the edge). I am the only one who really notices if I look for it and they have to be pointed out to others. The finish is close to perfect. I was surpised that with no experienced I was able to get a great finish with no bubbles or imperfections that can be seen. The film is quite forgiving and you can peel it up and reposition to try again. All up it cost me about US$100 for a couple metres of PPF film and a few hours of my time. And now I can enjoy driving on less than perfect roads without visualising the chips being added! I will probably peel it off when I eventually sell the car as I mainly put it on just to protect it so I can enjoy driving it.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Excellent post! You're right about the chips on the rear bumper from stones and debris kicked up by the rear tires. I've chosen to ignore it as out-of-the-way and a sign the car is driven, but I can understand someone wanting to apply some film there too. It'll get chewed up, but likely the paint won't suffer as much.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I went to Advanced Vehicle Outfitters in Walnut Creek and am happy w/ the job they did. Can't speak to the full price list, but they did a "Full front" for me for $950 or so. You might check them out.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I used Premier as well and only did the full hood and front bumper, mirrors and rocker panels as well. They did an excellent job. I had a piece come up a little on the front bumper in one of the corners and brought it back and they fixed it no problem on the spot. They are very professional and very informative. Great company.

ClearGuard Alpha PPF
  1. Full hood – 590
  3. Front bumper – 890
  4. Mirrors – 245
  5. Full doors – 990
  8. Rear bumper – 890

·
Registered
56 Posts

ClearGuard Alpha PPF
  1. Full hood – 590
  3. Front bumper – 890
  4. Mirrors – 245
  5. Full doors – 990
  8. Rear bumper – 890

On my 2018 718 GTS, I did 1, 3, 4, 6. I also did the top of the spoiler (protect it from anyone carelessly removing items from my truck). Mine it dark blue, so i'd see any chips -- never had an issue with chips on the unprotectored doors, fenders (F & R), or rear bumper.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Premier is awesome. Not cheap, but awesome. I had them do both of my 718s with PPF (not the rear bumper though) and the work was flawless. You can't tell the cars have ppf installed. They also did Modesta BC-04 ceramic coating on top of everything.

Last time I was there, they were finishing a Pagani Huayra and a McLaren 720. My 718 CS was by far the cheapest car in the shop!

Tell Wilson hi!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts