Porsche 718 Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts

Having PPF for over 2 years now. These are the panels I would consider "important".
Rear bumper: I have just the part behind my wheels done, I would do it again I'd ask them to make a bigger film for that area. (not the whole bumper)

Mirrors get a beating, (I have them done) but at the rate they charge you for it, you can respray them easily.

Final thought: the film protects your car and paintjob, but don't expect it to hold off everything.

·
Registered
2019 Cayman Base, Lava Orange, 6MT
33 Posts
I recently purchased a boxster GTS and am thinking about getting it PPF wrapped. I got a quote from PREMIER PROTECTIVE FILMS in Fremont California and it looks like this

ClearGuard Alpha PPF
  1. Full hood – 590
  2. Full front fenders – 990
  3. Front bumper – 890
  4. Mirrors – 245
  5. Full doors – 990
  6. Rocker panels (long panel under the doors) – 590
  7. Full rear quarter panels -890
  8. Rear bumper – 890
I was wondering if I wanted to keep it under approximately $2000, which areas should I work on? Purpose is to protect the paint from rock chips.

Was thinking of doing full hood + front bumper + rocker panels ($2070)
You have correctly identified the most vulnerable areas. I added front fenders for a bit more. The prices you were quoted are fair at a quality installer.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I had all that done with Ceramic Pro (no PPF) in Kentucky for $2,438. I know things are more expensive in California, but is that quote really $6,075? Is that normal in California? I do have some PPF on a few CF additions (the front splitter and rear duck tail) but my detailer did those for free along with the ceramic coating I ordered.
yup about right with CA...paid $6030 for Xpel ulitmate plus full body PPF then gave me discount for ceramic coat $800 Instead of $1200

·
Registered
21 Posts
It would be cheaper to just repaint the car. I think that film liiks like ****. It makes you look anal about your car. Watch Californication, now that's cool Porche owner. Ha ha. If you got film on your car and you like it then i feel you!

·
Registered
24 Posts
It would be cheaper to just repaint the car. I think that film liiks like ****. It makes you look anal about your car. Watch Californication, now that's cool Porche owner. Ha ha. If you got film on your car and you like it then i feel you!
ur right some peeps are anal about their stuff and not just their car...and im onne of those...i even clean my golf club and watches every time i use them

·
Registered
2019 718S
31 Posts
I recently purchased a boxster GTS and am thinking about getting it PPF wrapped. I got a quote from PREMIER PROTECTIVE FILMS in Fremont California and it looks like this

ClearGuard Alpha PPF
  1. Full hood – 590
  3. Front bumper – 890
  4. Mirrors – 245
  5. Full doors – 990
  8. Rear bumper – 890
I was wondering if I wanted to keep it under approximately $2000, which areas should I work on? Purpose is to protect the paint from rock chips.

ClearGuard Alpha PPF
  1. Full hood – 590
  3. Front bumper – 890
  4. Mirrors – 245
  5. Full doors – 990
  8. Rear bumper – 890

First off I did mine and am super glad I did.
I did full front clip, full hood, fenders,
Mirrors, rockers, ( which included the bottom section of rear quarters.
Here in West Virginia where living is cheap I paid 1,800.
I would definitely do all of the above. I wish I had done rear bumper as it gets lots of dirt.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I'm trying to see the value for money in spending $6k on this. It lasts about 10 years I believe and would have to be redone? How much is a full respray in the US? I mean if you saved yourself the $6k on PPF and just resprayed the car when you sold it, do you end up with a nicer car to sell and save money? Odds on there will be some damage that the PPF could not prevent in that time anyway, so the respray would look better?

·
Registered
832 Posts
I'm trying to see the value for money in spending $6k on this. It lasts about 10 years I believe and would have to be redone? How much is a full respray in the US? I mean if you saved yourself the $6k on PPF and just resprayed the car when you sold it, do you end up with a nicer car to sell and save money? Odds on there will be some damage that the PPF could not prevent in that time anyway, so the respray would look better?
The idea of repainting my car some year down the road in lieu of PPF today is just a foreign concept. Why would anyone do that? Repaint can never be as good as from the factory. It also reduces the value of your car.

·
Registered
250 Posts
For me, protecting the paint finish increases the value upon resale. Doubtful I will keep it 8 years, but the next owner can remove the wrap and have an as new looking car!

·
Registered
88 Posts
FWIW, my car had 41k miles on it when I purchased it. It had just a half nose PPF installed when it was new. The back half of the hood and the mirrors are fine. Behind the rear tires has very few marks. But the rocker panels, oh boy, they were thrashed!

https://flic.kr/p/2eoRjx7 At the very least, put PPF on the back half of the rocker panel behind the doors.

·
Registered
169 Posts
For me, protecting the paint finish increases the value upon resale. Doubtful I will keep it 8 years, but the next owner can remove the wrap and have an as new looking car!
Don't get me wrong... I like the idea of PPF. I just can't believe the price that is being payed. I mean a 718 new starts at around US$60k (and it is an expensive car!!) and you are spending around 10% of that on PPF. That PPF really only provides basic protection from small stones. A car that is driven an average amount over a say 5 year period is highly likely to cop some damage that the PPF won't protect and will probably require painting to repair anyway. You should be able to get a quality paint job that matches factory for less than that money and the car would be like new again.

I am not advocating everyone to go and get a full respray when they sell the car... just pointing out that you could for that money. What is more likely is you could respray the bits that have been damaged (mirror, front bumper?) for much less money if they needed it come sale time.

FOr me... I just did some PPF myself at low cost for the bits that cop a beating. I will rip it off come sale time.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Don't get me wrong... I like the idea of PPF. I just can't believe the price that is being payed. I mean a 718 new starts at around US$60k (and it is an expensive car!!) and you are spending around 10% of that on PPF. That PPF really only provides basic protection from small stones. A car that is driven an average amount over a say 5 year period is highly likely to cop some damage that the PPF won't protect and will probably require painting to repair anyway. You should be able to get a quality paint job that matches factory for less than that money and the car would be like new again.

I am not advocating everyone to go and get a full respray when they sell the car... just pointing out that you could for that money. What is more likely is you could respray the bits that have been damaged (mirror, front bumper?) for much less money if they needed it come sale time.

FOr me... I just did some PPF myself at low cost for the bits that cop a beating. I will rip it off come sale time.
I agree that's a lot of money. We had ours PPF'ed before we picked her up. Everything but door panels, roof, rear hatch for $2200 with Xpel. Rear bumper only behind wheels. I'd have rough time justifying $6K.

·
Registered
24 Posts
In addition to protecting your car, for some people like myself who is lazy to do car wash, i’ll save a ton with less washes or probably wont even do ever..all i do now is wipe off any dirt with wet towel and its shiner then when i got it at the showroom. Imagine $50 for a 100% hand wash here in CA...lets say $50x10 in a year so that $500 x 10yrs for what the ppf life supposedly so that 5k. When u remove the ppf, u still have a factory paint just like when u got it from the first day.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts