Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to have PPF done. I contacted an installer who has great reviews but when I asked about headlights he said they are notorious for de-laminating and would not take responsibility for damage to them during the install. Do all installers not take responsibility for damages?

·
Registered
173 Posts
I want to have PPF done. I contacted an installer who has great reviews but when I asked about headlights he said they are notorious for de-laminating and would not take responsibility for damage to them during the install. Do all installers not take responsibility for damages?
Porsche does not recommend it. If you apply PPF on headlights it will void your warranty on your headlights or anything related to your lights.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I did XPEL on my headlights back in 2017. Even the xpel website warns about the delamination, but that was a risk I was willing to take. Old yellow/matte policarbonate is ugly, regardless of car brand. And makes already ineffective North American headlights even more ineffective.
I had the same expel headlight "film" on 3 of my previous new cars, and they all did a great job. Installed them all myself.
Not an easy DIY on a 718 due to the thickness of the film and the shape of the headlight.
Not saying you should definitely do it, just saying it's not all doom-and-gloom.
My car is almost 4 years old and over 60k kms and headlights are in great shape, with the xpel on :)

Reactions: Goodwood

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
It's on my headlights that I am pretty sure it's been on there since 2018. There does not appear to be any negative consequences. In fact, though the PPF is self-healing, there are a few places where a rock did some damage to the PPF that probably would have resulted in damage to the lens.

Is overheating the concern with those expressing reservations? There's plenty of exposure to air for the lens, to prevent that? It's also a large surface for heat dissipation. I just don't see how any heat issues could occur.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I don't have any experience to say whether or not PPF can harm headlights. I have been advised twice by installers who make money selling the stuff. That alone is good enough for me. That said, I do have experience driving with headlights without PPF. In fact ALL my driving experience - perhaps 500,000 miles or so - has been without PPF on my headlights, and so far I've never had one so much as chip let alone require replacement. I'd skip it on the chance those who advise against it are right. Seems like the downside is zero, or awfully close.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Porsche can get quite funny about it
Funny thing Porsche sold me my CPO with PPF on headlights you would think if they were so concerned the car should not be certified. If you look at the forums some have had damage on the inside of light and a warranty claim was denied for various reason soap, impact when there is no damage on outside etc. I do like the brand but they certainly have their issues. Still undecided but leaning on getting them covered. Thanks all for input

·
Registered
797 Posts
Funny thing Porsche sold me my CPO with PPF on headlights you would think if they were so concerned the car should not be certified. If you look at the forums some have had damage on the inside of light and a warranty claim was denied for various reason soap, impact when there is no damage on outside etc. I do like the brand but they certainly have their issues. Still undecided but leaning on getting them covered. Thanks all for input
Right. Probably a wives tale that took root. At bottom, the same debris that sandblasts my front bumper and hood for years has been pelting my headlights just the same with no apparent damage.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I think delamination can occur when you take off ppf few years after install. If this happen, some people do a compound and place a new ppf and it s like new. It seems that the part that can delaminate is just a uv protection to avoid yellowing

·
Registered
83 Posts
Same here. Mine is CPO with PPF on the headlights. As someone else logically stated, a busted headlight from a stone will be about $1500. A delamination warranty denial will be about $1500. I'll take the stone protection.

·
Registered
842 Posts
What other folks said.

My installers (Myko Designs) said it can be removed, you just need to be careful. My take was that if the PPF protects me from a big enough chip to damage the lens (which won't be covered by warranty) it's worth it. If I end up with ruined lights then it's fixable.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts