Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, hope to be a Porsche owner soon with a built to order base 6-MT Cayman that I'll spec to $70k. My sales associate is telling me the order will be MSRP. My take is a 6-MT base Cayman on 18'' wheels without PASM or Sport Chrono is not going to move from the lot so I think $5k off is a reasonable place to start working from.

Does this seem reasonable? Feel free tweak the build too.

Deletion of Model Designation on Rear
6-speed Manual Transmission
Extended Range Fuel Tank
Power Steering Plus
LED PDLS+
Lane Change Assist (LCA)
Porsche Entry & Drive
Heated Multifunction GT Sport Steering Wheel
Adaptive Sport Seats Plus (18-way)
Ventilated Seats

·
Registered
932 Posts
I like the build. Some might balk at the E&D, but I like it. I don't think the power steering is necessary. My GTS isn't equipped with it, but never found that to be an issue in slow maneuvers. I do wish my car was equipped with the headlights you spec'd.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I negotiated 6% off a custom order 2018 GTS without much effort. Call another dealer, get their best offer, then have the two dealers compete over your business. Also, negotiate with the Sales Manager, not the sales person directly.

·
Registered
326 Posts
$5K off of a 70K build is 7% off. In "normal" times, that would probably be very reasonable on a "base" allocation. But in the era of COVID, there is limited supply since the factory shut down for a while, so who knows.

BTW, I'd also agree that you don't need power steering plus. Worst case, that's one of the few things that can be added after the fact

·
Registered
245 Posts
Actually, with used car prices at an all-time high in the U.S. due to limited wholesale supply and consumers who are hesitant to make big car purchases, new car deals are abundant. The OEM's are shipping products with lots of factory incentives in order to boost demand to make up for a soft Q2. While I agree that new car supply is also tight, the deals are better for those who are in a good financial position.*

I followed my own advice in June /July to negotiate a similar % off MSRP deal on a brand new custom ordered BMW X5. I just straight up asked each dealer for their best offer on my build sheet. Once a couple of them started responding, I shared the details of each offer and had them compete.

As for Power Steering Plus on a 718, I have it and like it, but agree it's not essential.

*I work in the wholesale automotive remarketing industry and have line of sight to dealer sentiment and industry economic activity.

·
Registered
112 Posts
My custom built 2019 CS, with very basic options - 2 way sport+ seats, GT wheel, Bose, got 9% off MSRP.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Over the past few years of watching, and my own experience, 7-9% seems to be somewhat typical. That said, I'm sure it might also depend on the dealer (ie, volume and region.) Regardless, I can't imagine not getting some meaningful discount off MSRP no matter the dealership nor where it's located.

·
Registered
68 Posts
OK, I have a very good friend who works at a Porsche dealership, he's been there for many years, here's a few tips I can share.
  1. Figure out the exact car and and options you want.
  2. Do this entirely over the phone. NEVER negotiate in person, once they have you in the dealership, they will waste hours of your time, and work every angel to pressure you to buy (always at a much higher price).
  3. Don't deal with the sales staff EVER, they have absolutely no authority to negotiate. Find out who the Sales or General Manager is, and reach out to them directly (either via email or phone).
  4. Make sure you are contacting every dealer within 100 miles of where you live (if you live in a remote area, adjust accordingly). Tell each dealer exactly what you want, and request their bottom dollar price, ensure they understand that you are a serious buyer who is ready to buy, also give them the list of the other dealers you are contacting (dealers in larger cities never want to lose a sale to another dealership). Let them know that they all have 24 hours to respond with their best offer.
  5. Remember, car sales are in the toilet right now, and these orders are like free money for them.
  6. Why?
    1. This is found money for them. They do absolutely no work for this. They spend 10 minutes in front of a computer entering the order, and get paid by Porsche.
    2. They don't have to buy the car from Porsche, inventory it, and pay interest to their bank.
    3. This is a guaranteed sale for the dealer, it boosts their monthly and year-end numbers (huge for dealers) - even if they break even on this deal.
    4. Porsche will pay the dealer to prep the car when it arrives from the factory (more free money for the dealer as Porsche pays them far more for the prep then it costs them).
    5. No Sales Person commission payout because you dealt with the Sales or General Manager directly.
    6. If you end up financing the car, and give them the financing, they make even more money as the banks pay them for bringing them the financing deals. That goes for all the other stuff they will try to sell you in the finance department when you pay for the car (Paint Protection Film, Tire and Wheel Insurance, Windshield Protection, Extended warranties, LOJACK, etc.) All that stuff makes them more money then the profits on a typical car sale.

·
Registered
812 Posts
BTW, Porsche makes this super easy to do. And I don't think you need to do it over the phone.

1. Get the code for your custom build. That way you're not sending out a long list of options. The Porsche Code will help.
  2. Every dealership should have an "internet sales person". Email them the code. Ask them for pricing. Explain you're talking to several dealerships and will go with the best pricing.
  3. Offer to finance through their financing. Even if you're gonna pay it off very early - they get a kickback, so it helps them. (I blatantly did this with my dealer. They were like "I thought you were paying cash?" "Well, you guys have been super nice. Let's finance it." I paid it off 90 days later to make sure they got paid out.
Now, this being said, I was buying my car in the best of times. The dealership close to me would deal a little, but family friends own a dealership 250 miles away. I was doing PECLA delivery so it didn't matter where they were. My local dealership said "We can't compete with that pricing - they won't let us - you should buy from them." But I bought my service package and warranty from the local dealer because they were nice and I wanted a relationship. That paid off.

·
Registered
569 Posts
OK, I have a very good friend who works at a Porsche dealership, he's been there for many years, here's a few tips I can share.
  1. Figure out the exact car and and options you want.
  2. Do this entirely over the phone. NEVER negotiate in person, once they have you in the dealership, they will waste hours of your time, and work every angel to pressure you to buy (always at a much higher price).
  3. Don't deal with the sales staff EVER, they have absolutely no authority to negotiate. Find out who the Sales or General Manager is, and reach out to them directly (either via email or phone).
  4. Make sure you are contacting every dealer within 100 miles of where you live (if you live in a remote area, adjust accordingly). Tell each dealer exactly what you want, and request their bottom dollar price, ensure they understand that you are a serious buyer who is ready to buy, also give them the list of the other dealers you are contacting (dealers in larger cities never want to lose a sale to another dealership). Let them know that they all have 24 hours to respond with their best offer.
  5. Remember, car sales are in the toilet right now, and these orders are like free money for them.
  6. Why?
    1. This is found money for them. They do absolutely no work for this. They spend 10 minutes in front of a computer entering the order, and get paid by Porsche.
    2. They don't have to buy the car from Porsche, inventory it, and pay interest to their bank.
    3. This is a guaranteed sale for the dealer, it boosts their monthly and year-end numbers (huge for dealers) - even if they break even on this deal.
    4. Porsche will pay the dealer to prep the car when it arrives from the factory (more free money for the dealer as Porsche pays them far more for the prep then it costs them).
    5. No Sales Person commission payout because you dealt with the Sales or General Manager directly.
    6. If you end up financing the car, and give them the financing, they make even more money as the banks pay them for bringing them the financing deals. That goes for all the other stuff they will try to sell you in the finance department when you pay for the car (Paint Protection Film, Tire and Wheel Insurance, Windshield Protection, Extended warranties, LOJACK, etc.) All that stuff makes them more money then the profits on a typical car sale.
But are you leaving out one important detail? That is, only dealers with an allocation for the model you are looking for are actually dealing with something tangible. Seems to me it's easy for a dealer to low bid a car he doesn't have and hasn't been allocated (at least not yet.) I guess what I'm saying is I'd include in my correspondence with the sales manager if he/she actually has an allocation for the car and when it's expected in. A bird in the hand may be worth two in the bush! People have waited a very long time for a car, particularly at low volume dealers I'm sure.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I got 8% off the sticker 3 years ago on a custom ordered car.

Lots of good advice given above.

Porsche dealers are a bit snobbish and do not react like domestic dealers. I sent out 8 request for quotes and only got 1 email and 1 phone call with prices. Fortunately the local dealer matched the 8% with a bit of grumbling. I had told the local dealer (who was very helpful configuring the car) that I would be shopping the purchase. Told him I would allow him to match the best price and he did.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I got 8% off the sticker 3 years ago on a custom ordered car.

Lots of good advice given above.

Porsche dealers are a bit snobbish and do not react like domestic dealers. I sent out 8 request for quotes and only got 1 email and 1 phone call with prices. Fortunately the local dealer matched the 8% with a bit of grumbling. I had told the local dealer (who was very helpful configuring the car) that I would be shopping the purchase. Told him I would allow him to match the best price and he did.
Right smack in the middle of the range I've observed of 7-9 percent! Thanks for the data point!

·
Registered
456 Posts
I sent the build sheet code to the SM at every Porsche dealer within 500 miles and asked them if they had an allocation and if so, what is their best price. This was in February 2018 I believe. I received a reply from all of them ranging from no allocation, sorry, to an allocation and a discount of 0% to 9%. Then I sent the better deals info to the local SM and asked what he could do. He came back with 8% and a decent amount for the trade. Since I had already purchased one car there and had another car serviced exclusively there I felt that was quite fair. We would have spent more than the 1% on airfare and other expenses had we purchased from the 9% dealership located right at the 500 mile limit.

·
Registered
569 Posts
... He came back with 8% and a decent amount for the trade. Since I had already purchased one car there and had another car serviced exclusively there I felt that was quite fair. We would have spent more than the 1% on airfare and other expenses had we purchased from the 9% dealership located right at the 500 mile limit.
Right, and in my mind there's much more to a deal than the just the price. Establishing or maintaining a relationship with your local dealer can be worth many times the difference you might "save" by buying from a low bidder.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Right, and in my mind there's much more to a deal than the just the price. Establishing or maintaining a relationship with your local dealer can be worth many times the difference you might "save" by buying from a low bidder.
Maybe it’s just me, but the only advantage I’ve experienced in having a “relationship” with a dealer has been in having a relationship with a senior sales person or sales manager (and only for as long as that person continues to work at that dealership).

Having a relationship with the dealer from which I bought 2 Porsches has not stopped them from trying to lowball me on a trade, nor another Porsche dealer I had been using to service the 2 cars from telling me that my brakes would show a warning imminently, and a year later brakes are still good (So they have lost me as a customer). The relationship is as good as today’s potential profit, if you ask me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks so much for the advice and friendly welcome to the forum, especially to msacks and JackiChan for the strategy and phroenips for a dose of reality. I emailed all the dealers in California and found one willing to do 6.5%. Might be the new normal in COVID times. Either way, can't way for Dec/Jan!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts