Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes when I am in the automatic stopping engine mode, especially on a hill, thinking I am shifting into 1st gear the car drops into reverse. Almost have had an accident several times. When I call Porsche service, say that is impossible and basically hang up on me. Any thoughts on why this happens? If not fixed will eventually lead to an accident.

HK

·
Registered
982 Posts
I have never heard of anyone having this problem. It would be pretty extreme, IMHO, but if there is someone else who has done this, you will find them here. However, you can solve this with a short shifter. I installed one to make all the gears more distinct and to effectively gate reverse. If you have the problem with a short shifter, I would recommend stepping away from barbells because you don't need any more upper body strength.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Sometimes when I am in the automatic stopping engine mode, especially on a hill, thinking I am shifting into 1st gear the car drops into reverse. Almost have had an accident several times. When I call Porsche service, say that is impossible and basically hang up on me. Any thoughts on why this happens? If not fixed will eventually lead to an accident.

HK
I have also slipped into reverse more than once when I really wanted 1st. Very irritating. I don't know why they didn't give reverse a positive lockout.

I find it amazing that I can get reverse easily when I don't want it, but trying to get there when I really want it can sometimes be incredibly difficult. Sigh.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I do not perceive this as a problem. However, on a small handful of occasions over the 18 months I have had the car, I have inadvertently put it in reverse instead of 1st. I have seen these occasions as my error because I was not sufficiently focused on what I was doing and simply overcame the spring detent resistance that is indeed there. In other words, sloppy shifting on my part. I do certainly agree better ergonomics would dictate a harder to overcome spring detent but I only see this as a minor issue.

There is an issue associated with first gear, at least for me, that I did not have with any of the other manual transmissions I have had. When in first gear with the clutch fully engaged, if I hit a healthy bump at the right acceleration with the right amount of throttle, the car starts surging and the only way to arrest the surging is to completely get off the throttle pedal. Again, I do not see this as a problem but it does happen more frequently with my Boxter than it did with any of the other manual transmission vehicles I have driven where it very rarely occurred. However, the power to weight ratio for my Boxster is greater than any previous car so maybe that makes this behavior more likely to occur.

·
Registered
874 Posts
I do not perceive this as a problem. However, on a small handful of occasions over the 18 months I have had the car, I have inadvertently put it in reverse instead of 1st. I have seen these occasions as my error because I was not sufficiently focused on what I was doing and simply overcame the spring detent resistance that is indeed there. In other words, sloppy shifting on my part. I do certainly agree better ergonomics would dictate a harder to overcome spring detent but I only see this as a minor issue.
Sorry, my take is you should not be able to put a manual transmission into reverse unless you really want to. This means pulling a ring or pushing the lever down or something not associated with every other shift. Shifting should not require the driver to focus to stay out of reverse - make me work for it.
MOO

·
Registered
317 Posts
I have never experienced this issue. Reverse takes a healthy amount of force to move it past the gate which is much further left than first. I assume you much be putting some muscle into it? If you are just gently sliding the shifter left from neutral and up into first and accidentally hitting reverse then I would say there is something wrong with the transmission.

·
Registered
874 Posts
I have never experienced this issue. Reverse takes a healthy amount of force to move it past the gate which is much further left than first. I assume you much be putting some muscle into it? If you are just gently sliding the shifter left from neutral and up into first and accidentally hitting reverse then I would say there is something wrong with the transmission.
What you said last is pretty much it. It's difficult to get into reverse when I want to get into it, like backing out of my garage, but I have experienced at least three occurrences of the shifter just sliding with the greatest of ease into reverse when I was aiming for first. These occurred at stop lights when I put it into neutral and then went to put it back into first before the light changed to green. I knew something was wrong because the backup camera came on. Unfortunately the backup camera doesn't go off when you take it out of reverse so I couldn't really tell for sure when I put it into first that I was really there. That to me is a pita and unacceptable. It really needs a lockout.
Just so you know, I have driven manual transmissions since 1979 with a small pause between 2000 and 2018 to drive automatics. I've done this before with many cars and I've never had this problem. It seems that Porsche, for all their amazing engineering, does amazingly stupid things also.
MOO

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Downshifting to first and getting reverse? Wow! That is the Money Pit Shift!...:eek:

I an trying hard to think if my father's 1976 Audi 100 did not have a mechanism to prevent this... Even his previous car (a 1966 Ford Taunus 17m) with 4 on the stalk had a button you had to press in the gear shift lever to get to the reverse!...

What was Porsche thinking?

·
Registered
874 Posts
Downshifting to first and getting reverse? Wow! That is the Money Pit Shift!...:eek:

I an trying hard to think if my father's 1976 Audi 100 did not have a mechanism to prevent this... Even his previous car (a 1966 Ford Taunus 17m) with 4 on the stalk had a button you had to press in the gear shift lever to get to the reverse!...

What was Porsche thinking?
The only car that came close in my history was my GTI. With that car though I had to physically push the shift lever down in order to get into reverse. It was hard enough to get there that I never ever hit reverse when I didn't want it. All my other cars has some sort of a lockout system.
FWIW

·
Registered
243 Posts
Downshifting to first and getting reverse?
I don't think that's what the OP is about. It happened to me once at a red light. i was distracted and didn't notice the light turn green. someone honked and in my rush to go I shoved the shifter left and it went to reverse instead of 1st.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
I don't think that's what the OP is about. It happened to me once at a red light. i was distracted and didn't notice the light turn green. someone honked and in my rush to go I shoved the shifter left and it went to reverse instead of 1st.
So is there zero chance to downshift to reverse instead of first? From 2nd or 3d? Like I am getting into a hairpin hot and heavy and while standing on the brakes I downshift to first to get going after the apex? I have done this a zillion times from 2nd to 1st and a few times from 3d, after finding out that the turn was tighter than I thought and 2nd would be meh for getting out of the turn.

Hitting 1st and flooring it on the Mustang could be spectacular...:eek:

·
Registered
317 Posts
What you said last is pretty much it. It's difficult to get into reverse when I want to get into it, like backing out of my garage, but I have experienced at least three occurrences of the shifter just sliding with the greatest of ease into reverse when I was aiming for first. These occurred at stop lights when I put it into neutral and then went to put it back into first before the light changed to green. I knew something was wrong because the backup camera came on. Unfortunately the backup camera doesn't go off when you take it out of reverse so I couldn't really tell for sure when I put it into first that I was really there. That to me is a pita and unacceptable. It really needs a lockout.
Just so you know, I have driven manual transmissions since 1979 with a small pause between 2000 and 2018 to drive automatics. I've done this before with many cars and I've never had this problem. It seems that Porsche, for all their amazing engineering, does amazingly stupid things also.
MOO
That’s wild, definitely sounds like there is a problem. The mechanism which adds the resistance to reverse must be malfunctioning.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Very interesting all the replies. As mentioned, called local Porsche Dealer Service several times, they deny the problem can exist. Now, they won't even return my phone call and have car checked, which is unbelievable. I called my insurance company and their adjuster says will coerce them into seeing the car. Someone is going to get hurt with this defect. Like most in the forum, we are all sports car enthusiasts and certainly do not want to see someone hurt because of any potential defect. May see a recall soon, who knows?

SG

·
Registered
964 Posts
Simple solution is to turn off ASS mode or better yet get the module that turns it off at startup by default. Why would anyone want their almost supercar to stop running at a traffic light?

·
Registered
594 Posts
I really have to push left quite hard to get past the gate and can't imagine ever being able to put my car into reverse by mistake. Having said that my car is RHD and I need to push away from me to access reverse. Perhaps it is easier to "pull" past the gate in a LHD car? Although i've sat in the passenger seat and had to pull the gear lever into reverse for my partner and it was not easy!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Simple solution is to turn off ASS mode or better yet get the module that turns it off at startup by default. Why would anyone want their almost supercar to stop running at a traffic light?
I bought the module to eliminate the ASSinine start/stop.

·
Registered
243 Posts
the thing is that the reverse gate is very hard to press past if one goes slowly but if one goes quickly the resistance at the gate is much much less.

Reactions: JazzCatGab
1 - 17 of 17 Posts