Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Boxster GTS, Lava orange
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Coming from the Corvette world, production numbers by color, option, etc. are a big thing and easily obtained.

Does Porsche publish the same type of information? I'm curious about the relative rarity of my newly acquired lava orange Boxster GTS.

Thanks for all input!

·
Registered
432 Posts
They do but your OPC should be able to provide you with a list of the options fitted using the VIN or you can use this website and go through the codes yourself.

·
Registered
879 Posts
My search turned up total annual Porsche Boxster US sale numbers from 1997 through 2018 (Porsche Boxster US car sales figures), but was unable to locate the number of each color produced each year. Would also like that info.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I thought Porsche held the details of their production close to the vest? I know numbers are posted in Panorama, but the nitty gritty isn't included.

·
Registered
515 Posts
mngreg Your Lava Orange might be one of the the rarest non-PTS 718 colors in the USA. But I do recall Porsche sending me some materials discussing "marketing colors" (Lava Orange is/was one). Porsche was surprised that a very large proportion of owners in China selected Lava Orange. I think it was 1/3. Porsche did not break out Lava Orange by model in China.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mngreg Your Lava Orange might be one of the the rarest non-PTS 718 colors in the USA. But I do recall Porsche sending me some materials discussing "marketing colors" (Lava Orange is/was one). Porsche was surprised that a very large proportion of owners in China selected Lava Orange. I think it was 1/3. Porsche did not break out Lava Orange by model in China.
Thank you for your input, I've been shopping/looking for over a year for the right car and this was the only lava orange GTS I remember seeing. It must be a love/hate color, very little in between.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I love it! If it weren't for Miami Blue's grip on me, I'd have ordered a Lava Orange 718.
MB is awesome as well! It's disappointing that Porsche doesn't release the numbers like Chevrolet does with the Corvette. IMHO, it adds to the ownership experience.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I pulled data for 2020/2021 NA bound 718 T models while waiting for mine to show up. Low volume compared to Base / S / 4.0 models, but I think color rates are probably pretty close across the range.

Please excuse the formatting, I abandoned the project shortly before my car showed up.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I pulled data for 2020/2021 NA bound 718 T models while waiting for mine to show up. Low volume compared to Base / S / 4.0 models, but I think color rates are probably pretty close across the range.

Please excuse the formatting, I abandoned the project shortly before my car showed up.
Very good info, thanks. What method did you use to obtain these?

·
Registered
1,271 Posts

Interesting that the T model looks to be bucking the trend regarding transmission choice. I think the other items trend along with the sales for the Base/S/GTS models.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I scraped VIN numbers and build sheets from a few sources -- SERPs, dealer inventory, 3rd party sales aggregators, internal tools.

This was by far the most useful as it doesn't rely on a VIN hitting inventory or being entered into something like Vin Analytics.
Wow, that's a great resource! It appears there were 413 Boxster GTS's made for NA in 2019. When I have a few hours, I can go through each build sheet and tally the color breakdown.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, I went through every 2019 BGTS build sheet this morning and tallied the color breakdown. I'm crosseyed from looking at them, lol. According to this source:
413 total production for NA:

GT Silver 62
White 60
Carmine 47
Agate Grey 44
Chalk 31
Black 28
Night Blue 27
Guards Red 26
Carrera White 24
Jet Black Met. 21
Miami Blue 18
Racing Yellow 13
Lava Orange 9
Custom Color 3

Accurate? Depends on the source data but I think it's pretty darn close if not spot on. Kind of cool to know my car is one of 9 (or thereabouts ;)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Edit, there were 41 cars that went to Canada that aren't included in the totals above. There were no Miami Blue or Lava Orange cars cars shipped there according to the build sheets.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Well, I went through every 2019 BGTS build sheet this morning and tallied the color breakdown. I'm crosseyed from looking at them, lol. According to this source:
413 total production for NA:

GT Silver 62
White 60
Carmine 47
Agate Grey 44
Chalk 31
Black 28
Night Blue 27
Guards Red 26
Carrera White 24
Jet Black Met. 21
Miami Blue 18
Racing Yellow 13
Lava Orange 9
Custom Color 3

Accurate? Depends on the source data but I think it's pretty darn close if not spot on. Kind of cool to know my car is one of 9 (or thereabouts ;)
You deserve some serious credit for this, no way I could have gone through this many in a single morning without losing my mind.

·
Registered
879 Posts
You deserve some serious credit for this, no way I could have gone through this many in a single morning without losing my mind.
Concur with "you deserve serious credit." However, as a total data nerd...I wish I had thought of doing this first. Great work and thanks!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts