Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else suffered a punctured near side front radiator? Afraid my 10 month old base Cayman PDK suffered this fate this week, with a subsequent major coolant loss. Now back with the supplying OPC and due to hear the repair cost today. So annoying.

·
Premium Member
1,322 Posts
Why don't you ask them, innocently as possible, why they don't allow Zunsport (or RGS) grills on the car to prevent this sort of thing. I'm curious to hear what they would say. Sorry to hear you had this experience. It is a wonder we don't hear about it more than we do.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Anyone else suffered a punctured near side front radiator? Afraid my 10 month old base Cayman PDK suffered this fate this week, with a subsequent major coolant loss. Now back with the supplying OPC and due to hear the repair cost today. So annoying.
I fitted zunsport grills to prevent this, there are people on here who will say it voids your warranty fitting them but the radiator is not cover by any warranty if it’s caused by collision damage or by stones so go figure
i figured that the cost to fit was cheap insurance against being stranded at the side of the road waiting for recovery for hours + saving the eye watering amount of money your facing to repair.

cheers

·
Registered
609 Posts
Why don't you ask them, innocently as possible, why they don't allow Zunsport (or RGS) grills on the car to prevent this sort of thing. I'm curious to hear what they would say. Sorry to hear you had this experience. It is a wonder we don't hear about it more than we do.
After a trackday, both my condensors were leaking, cost was estimated at 1600€ . I was lucky that my insurance was willing to take it on them.The Porsche Center where the repair was done suggested they put some mesh on the inside of the front bumper for about 400€, I told them I had ordered the Zunsport grilles. I installed them immediately after my car came back from repair. Next time my car went in for maintenance, they were impressed with the fitment of the grills. I guess not everyone shares 'bad' experiences on fora.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the comments everyone, including about the protective grilles. I’ve just been liaising with my OPC and then my motor insurance company as the total repair cost, including labour, is over £1300.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Thanks for the comments everyone, including about the protective grilles. I’ve just been liaising with my OPC and then my motor insurance company as the total repair cost, including labour, is over £1300.
I am pretty certain that other owners have claimed under their insurance. It is ridiculous that the radiators are not protected by grilles.

·
Registered
358 Posts
For £1300 I don’t think it’s worth going down the insurance route, the claim will likely double your premium next year (if you do not have no claims bonus protection) and impact all quotes for the next 5 years as all claims must be declared regardless

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For £1300 I don’t think it’s worth going down the insurance route, the claim will likely double your premium next year (if you do not have no claims bonus protection) and impact all quotes for the next 5 years as all claims must be declared regardless
Fortunately I do have a nine year protected no claims bonus, otherwise I might well not have made a claim.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Fortunately I do have a nine year protected no claims bonus, otherwise I might well not have made a claim.
Yep but remember unless you want to stay with the same insurer for the next 5 years you will still have to declare any claims to other insurers and it will affect the premium
i made a small claim (£1200 fire on a boat engine) had full no claims bonus protected, the insurance certainly got their money back and then some for the next 5 years
I will never make that mistake again.
cheers

·
Registered
10 Posts
This is exactly what happened to me. A rock or something punctured the radiator. Didn’t know about it till the ac was blowing warm. Replacement was around 1200.
Installed the mesh grill the next day.

·
Registered
47 Posts
This is exactly what happened to me. A rock or something punctured the radiator. Didn’t know about it till the ac was blowing warm. Replacement was around 1200.
Installed the mesh grill the next day.
Same. And also put in grills the day it returned from the dealer.

Sent from my Surface Duo using Tapatalk

·
Registered
‘21 Silver Boxster S
21 Posts
So I think I would like to get these protectors. It looks like the radiator grille store is the only one that makes the grill that goes behind the existing plastic piece which is what I want. I don’t like the look of the screen being in front of the existing plastic piece. Are there any other choices that I’m not aware of?

·
Registered
955 Posts
I fitted zunsport grills to prevent this, there are people on here who will say it voids your warranty fitting them but the radiator is not cover by any warranty if it’s caused by collision damage or by stones so go figure
i figured that the cost to fit was cheap insurance against being stranded at the side of the road waiting for recovery for hours + saving the eye watering amount of money your facing to repair.

cheers
I don't have the Zunsport grills so can't attest to the ease of removing once installed. But if it is not complicated, it would seem like a good investment to make and then remove if/when the car needed to go to a Porsche facility.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I don't have the Zunsport grills so can't attest to the ease of removing once installed. But if it is not complicated, it would seem like a good investment to make and then remove if/when the car needed to go to a Porsche facility.
Less than 5 minutes to install AND remove (y)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I don’t think the grill voids your warranty. ( I used the radiator grill store, not sure about zunnsport). I never had issues at my local dealer. Installing it on the s is very easy. Butttttt. If you have the gts with its third radiator than that is a pain in the ass.

my pet peeve is that this should come standard from the factory as an option. I suspect that it would be a very popular option.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I don’t think the grill voids your warranty. ( I used the radiator grill store, not sure about zunnsport). I never had issues at my local dealer. Installing it on the s is very easy. Butttttt. If you have the gts with its third radiator than that is a pain in the ass.

my pet peeve is that this should come standard from the factory as an option. I suspect that it would be a very popular option.
Porsche Uk policy - anything not official Porsche fitted to your Porsche will invalidate the manufacturer warranty - including window tints and radiator covers.

But why anyone would leave them on when it takes seconds to remove god only knows

·
Registered
955 Posts
So I think I would like to get these protectors. It looks like the radiator grille store is the only one that makes the grill that goes behind the existing plastic piece which is what I want. I don’t like the look of the screen being in front of the existing plastic piece. Are there any other choices that I’m not aware of?
I don't think so, although I haven't been in the market since installation 2 years ago. I agree that screens look better behind plastic parts. I cut my sides from RGS stock material and front grills came precut - only options back then. Fronts were a pain in the butt for me to install. Hope you have less trouble.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Porsche Uk policy - anything not official Porsche fitted to your Porsche will invalidate the manufacturer warranty - including window tints and radiator covers.

But why anyone would leave them on when it takes seconds to remove god only knows
Wow.
That sounds excessive

·
Super Moderator
1,907 Posts
<snip>
That would be illegal in Australia, and I'm pretty sure in the US as well. Is consumer protection in the UK really that weak?

When my car went in for the side vent grill upgrade the dealer even re-installed my screens after it was completed.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts