Porsche 718 Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Not sure why it should be delayed but I'll certainly ask! We won't have got one allocated yet as we can't go and test dive one until next week with this bloody lockdown. I assume if all is OK then they can take the details of what we actually want and put a specific order in . Mind you I sent them the requested deposit (£3,000!) seven weeks ago! Nonetheless they wouldn't be specific about a delivery date but I honestly don't think late summer/even later is reasonable, whatever the cause, do you? He did say that if we saw one elsewhere we wanted before that , they'd refund the deposit but maybe wherever you go, it would be the same. Thanks for your answer, anyway.
I was sorta in the same position. My sales associate wouldn't make any guesses about potential delivery dates until he had an allocation open up, because there apparently are just not very many of them to go around (whether due to COVID, other production issues, prioritizing the 6 cylinder 718s, the low-volume nature of the Cayman/Boxster, etc.).

But yeah, I think if you put an order in soon then late summer is probably reasonable given the circumstances. I will say fwiw that my dealership didn't ask for the full $5000 deposit until the day they actually put in the order.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Not sure why it should be delayed but I'll certainly ask! We won't have got one allocated yet as we can't go and test dive one until next week with this bloody lockdown. I assume if all is OK then they can take the details of what we actually want and put a specific order in . Mind you I sent them the requested deposit (£3,000!) seven weeks ago! Nonetheless they wouldn't be specific about a delivery date but I honestly don't think late summer/even later is reasonable, whatever the cause, do you? He did say that if we saw one elsewhere we wanted before that , they'd refund the deposit but maybe wherever you go, it would be the same. Thanks for your answer, anyway.
Paid my deposit in late January and I have until the end of April until I need to decide on my final build - I'm still hoping to test drive one before the deadline..!!:confused:
I was told from the start that I wouldn't get delivery until late summer and the dealer's latest message is that it should be with them early-mid July. I don't mind too much as it was always going to be a birthday present for myself (end of July):)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was sorta in the same position. My sales associate wouldn't make any guesses about potential delivery dates until he had an allocation open up, because there apparently are just not very many of them to go around (whether due to COVID, other production issues, prioritizing the 6 cylinder 718s, the low-volume nature of the Cayman/Boxster, etc.).

But yeah, I think if you put an order in soon then late summer is probably reasonable given the circumstances. I will say fwiw that my dealership didn't ask for the full $5000 deposit until the day they actually put in the order.
Thanks again. Interesting what you said about the deposit! Thinking about it, I don't think they should have been actually asking us for money when we hadn't actually driven it/put in a definite and detailed order! As it is, it's a 2 litre we're getting but they'll only have a 4litre (manual- which is what I want) to test drive, yet I'm sure the gearbox is different (more suitable for tracks) on these bigger engines. We shall see!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Thanks again. Interesting what you said about the deposit! Thinking about it, I don't think they should have been actually asking us for money when we hadn't actually driven it/put in a definite and detailed order! As it is, it's a 2 litre we're getting but they'll only have a 4litre (manual- which is what I want) to test drive, yet I'm sure the gearbox is different (more suitable for tracks) on these bigger engines. We shall see!
I think many dealers will take a smaller deposit to hold your place in line as you wait for an allocation, but £3000 does seem high for that.

And I know it's been stated that the lower model 718s have the same gear ratios in the manual transmission as the 4.0L cars which led me to assume it's at least largely the same transmission, though I don't know if that's been confirmed. I'm not sure on the actual shifter though. The Cayman T that I ordered has a shorter throw shifter than the base, S, and (I think) the GTS models, though I'm not sure if it's actually the same as the unit in the GT4 and Spyder or if it's just somewhat shorter than stock.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I think many dealers will take a smaller deposit to hold your place in line as you wait for an allocation, but £3000 does seem high for that.

And I know it's been stated that the lower model 718s have the same gear ratios in the manual transmission as the 4.0L cars which led me to assume it's at least largely the same transmission, though I don't know if that's been confirmed. I'm not sure on the actual shifter though. The Cayman T that I ordered has a shorter throw shifter than the base, S, and (I think) the GTS models, though I'm not sure if it's actually the same as the unit in the GT4 and Spyder or if it's just somewhat shorter than stock.
Correct, MT gearing is the same across all 718 models, I think that holds true for all the PDKs, too. It’s long - period. But with the wallop of torque you get in the mid range from the turbocharged engines, I think that’s less of an issue than it was with the older, smaller flat sixes; you can wind out the turbo 4s, but it’s less necessary. 4.0 can skate by a bit more because of displacement, so the claim may not be quite as true compared to the current and only flat 6 in the 718, but I have yet to drive it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm not sure on the actual shifter though. The Cayman T that I ordered has a shorter throw shifter than the base, S, and (I think) the GTS models, though I'm not sure if it's actually the same as the unit in the GT4 and Spyder or if it's just somewhat shorter than stock.
I think you’re correct here, too; the T models have an absolutely delightful short shift set up, same as my old 981 Spyder as far as I can tell. I don’t think the GTS has it.

·
Registered
4 Posts

Thanks for your helpful additions! We'll see what happens when allowed a test drive a week tomorrow. (May not even like it, but we had a 924 years ago and it was OK!)

·
Registered
2021 Cayman GTS 4.0
548 Posts
I wasn't initially impressed w/ Shark Blue but your T build w/ the pinstripes and yellow accents really make it work! Have fun with your unique ride.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I wasn't initially impressed w/ Shark Blue but your T build w/ the pinstripes and yellow accents really make it work! Have fun with your unique ride.
Thanks! Here's to hoping it looks as good in person as it does on the configurator!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have enquired about the T and the dealer is a little bit reluctant, they want a larger than normal deposit and he said they will have to give up a GTS slot, I‘m wrestling with the decision and wish I had paid more attention to the T before buying the S.
08870B35-0BD9-4238-8942-C5529737F232.png
08870B35-0BD9-4238-8942-C5529737F232.png

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I have enquired about the T and the dealer is a little bit reluctant, they want a larger than normal deposit and he said they will have to give up a GTS slot, I‘m wrestling with the decision and wish I had paid more attention to the T before buying the S.
View attachment 31024 View attachment 31024
I'm only going by what my sales associate told me, but he said that when the new allocation for a 2022 Cayman opened up last week he had the option of selecting either base, S, or T to order, while the GTS allocations are separate. Perhaps dealers only get a set number of total slots for 718s, but even then they wouldn't be "giving up" a GTS allocation so much as they would just be ordering a car in the T that isn't likely to make them as much money.

I think your car looks absolutely fantastic, but if you are still interested in a T I would recommend getting in contact with some other dealers who are more willing to work with you. There's no reason why they should put up a fight about about that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
When I got my S last year he did say there would be limited slots available in 2021 and being new to Porsche I took this as sales jargon, Porsche U.K. does have the words limited availability on the 718 and 911 models on their website, I’m guessing Porsche are making less sports cars.

·
Registered
193 Posts
When I got my S last year he did say there would be limited slots available in 2021 and being new to Porsche I took this as sales jargon, Porsche U.K. does have the words limited availability on the 718 and 911 models on their website, I’m guessing Porsche are making less sports cars.
I suspect that the U.K. will have been allocated more cars last year due to the threat of import duties. As a result I suspect that allocations for this year have been adjusted down. I also assume that social distancing in factories will have reduced productivity overall. Probably good news for 718 and 992 residuals but not so good for new buyers. I am however surprised that a dealer would lose a GTS slot in exchange for a T slot. I would have expected that base , S and T would be lumped together and that GTS allocations would be separate.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts