Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone in the UK any thoughts on the Porsche vehicle tracker system service subscription "value for money" argument and the actual functions of it?

Does it allow the tracker service provider to immobilise the vehicle remotely if, say, it was reported as stolen?

I had thought that the suite of the inbuilt functions had a complimentary period of use from new, whilst owner decided if they wanted to subscribe, but apparently not with the "tracker" part of it......

·
892 Posts
Has anyone in the UK any thoughts on the Porsche vehicle tracker system service subscription "value for money" argument and the actual functions of it?

Does it allow the tracker service provider to immobilise the vehicle remotely if, say, it was reported as stolen?

I had thought that the suite of the inbuilt functions had a complimentary period of use from new, whilst owner decided if they wanted to subscribe, but apparently not with the "tracker" part of it......
Look at www.automotive.vodafone.co.uk & you should find the answers to any queries.
I've always found that activating the tracker service was a requirement of my insurance company & given that's apparently the case with most of them, then it's rather surprising that tracker isn't just activated automatically. It rather caught me by surprise that I had to arrange it myself after taking delivery of this car & that left a little to be desired. That wasn't the case when the service was run by Cobra tracking but is now it's administered by Vodafone (why Porsche U.K & Vodafone can't get their acts together & arrange a more efficient activation service is a mystery).
Even if activation isn't a requirement with your insurance company it's still likely to reduce the premium (though you'll obviously have paid an additional premium to Vodafone).
My policy administered through Aviva on a very highly specified Boxster S (near enough 33% of the total cost price in options) is only £346.00 per annum. That includes protected no claims, uninsured loss recovery, legal protection, Porsche approved repairer, only genuine Porsche replacement parts & a 14000 mile per year mileage allowance (more than sufficient).
The tracker system does also cater for remote immobilisation of the vehicle (I think it requires prior Police approval to actually trigger that function for safety considerations). Moving the vehicle without the VTS tag, or jacking it up, or break in, or tampering with the battery will all trigger an automatic alert to your provided contact number (normally a text).
Being as the service costs relatively little (I think it was somewhere around the £260 mark last time) then I'd say even if you aren't required to take it you'd be daft not to.
I hope that helps. :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Now sorted Chilli, Thanks for the additional info.

The connect app as such is complimentary for 2 years, then subscription based to continue......the tracker option is around £250 annually right from the start, which I think is rather a poor show value wise in any case, particularly considering the competitions offerings...

Insurance quotes were inconclusive in aiding a decision too, as it made no difference as to wheather it was activated or not............go figure!

·
892 Posts
Now sorted Chilli, Thanks for the additional info.

The connect app as such is complimentary for 2 years, then subscription based to continue......the tracker option is around £250 annually right from the start, which I think is rather a poor show value wise in any case, particularly considering the competitions offerings...

Insurance quotes were inconclusive in aiding a decision too, as it made no difference as to wheather it was activated or not............go figure!
Personally I think they have it the wrong way around. They should provide a complimentary period for the tracking system & leave the connect as optional. I wasn't too impressed with the dealership as they told me everything was activated & Vodafone would bill me. Imagine my surprise therefore when I received an e-mail from Vodafone the following day inviting me to activate the tracking system & pointing out that it's a requirement of many insurance companies that it is activated. Like I said it actually is a requirement with my particular company & I'd driven 250-300 miles or so without fulfilling one of their conditions due to mis-information. You know what insurance companies are like if they find a loophole should something have happened. The fact that Vodafone know many companies insist on it makes it all the worse that it wasn't pre-sorted & if they know then so will the U.K Porsche dealers. To add insult to injury I still had some tracker cover on the old car which should have transferred over. Only a few weeks & hardly worth pursuing recompense but that's hardly the point. It wasn't worth complaining after the fact, but I still think it was pretty poor.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts