Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Much to my surprise, my 718C shipped out of Emden nearly 3 weeks early. It left port on October 16th and is scheduled to arrive in San Diego November 17th (expected). Couple of questions:

1. I don't have the vessel ID so I can't track the cargo ship. Could it arrive early?

2. What is the processing time at the Port of San Diego? MY SA says that it could sit in port for 2+ weeks. I live in California, if that makes any difference for processing time.

Thanks.

·
Registered
69 Posts
1) It could arrive early

2) Think mine took about 3 days, but it was one of the first 2018's in port.

Shipping & port entry have quite a lot of variance, so doubt anyone's answers are going to help you much. Just keep your fingers crossed and you will be driving your baby in no time!

·
Registered
90 Posts
It took 28 days by ship to arrive in San Diego.Then it sat for a month waiting for smog certification before Porsche had approval to sell them at their dealerships.
After they received smog certification it was at the dealer three days later. You should not have a smog problem.

Attachments

·
Registered
150 Posts
From the time my SA told me the ship was in San Diego it was only 2 days before my 718 arrived at the dealer Phoenix. The next day it was ready for delivery. That was a year ago. The total time from order to delivery was 4 months.

Reactions: TheLip

·
Registered
115 Posts
Mine car arrived a few weeks earlier than initially scheduled in San Diego. The boat itself was on time, but the car caught an earlier one than planned.

Took about 10 days to get to Northern California once it arrived in SD.

As others have mentioned, it's variable but hopefully you'll have your car in no time! Either way, it'll be worth the wait....

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looking at the port schedule your car is on the Jasper Arrow, which has just entered the Pacific Ocean via the Panama Canal. You can track her here.

From your avatar it looks like you will have one of the few MT 718 s in California! Nice!
Wow, great info. Thanks. Now I have something else to obsess over for the next week. ;)

I have been driving cars for almost 40 years and have only owned for myself manual transmission cars, even when I was freeway commuting 35 miles into downtown LA on a daily basis. Not to sound like too much of an anachronism, but I simply couldn't conceive of getting a car with anything but a manual transmission, especially a sports car. It really surprised me how hard it was to find a MT 718 to test drive, so at first I test drove a few PDK equipped 718s. No offense to my PDK brethren, but the flappy paddles bored me. Once I got behind the wheel of a MT 718 I knew that would be my next car.

Reactions: Ironman

·
Registered
476 Posts
man you guys have it easy now... i ordered mine in August '16 and it didn't arrive at the dealer until mid-January '17.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Wow, great info. Thanks. Now I have something else to obsess over for the next week. ;)

I have been driving cars for almost 40 years and have only owned for myself manual transmission cars, even when I was freeway commuting 35 miles into downtown LA on a daily basis. Not to sound like too much of an anachronism, but I simply couldn't conceive of getting a car with anything but a manual transmission, especially a sports car. It really surprised me how hard it was to find a MT 718 to test drive, so at first I test drove a few PDK equipped 718s. No offense to my PDK brethren, but the flappy paddles bored me. Once I got behind the wheel of a MT 718 I knew that would be my next car.
Actually vesselfinder.com is behind by a couple of days. This service has a more current position, off the southern coast of Mexico.

I'm also waiting for a MT 718, a Boxster, and like you it was very hard to find a non-PDK 981 or 982 (718) to test drive. According to our sales guy, base Caymans and Boxsters sold in CA are almost always PDK. Likewise, I have always driven manual cars, although they can be a hassle on the hills of SF at intersections. So the 718 "hill-hold" feature will be great when we drive in the city. Also, never forget what Nick Murray has said on his YouTube channel about PDKs ;-)

Enjoy your car when it arrives, and please share some photos!

·
Registered
39 Posts
....What is the processing time at the Port of San Diego?.....
From the time our car was offloaded in San Diego, to dealership arrival in Orange County, was 5 days.

Tracking the ship is fun, but what really counts is the dock schedule. Right now the Jasper Arrow is showing a dock ETA of the 16th. But that could change at the last minute if there is dock congestion when the ship arrives.
You can find the Port of San Diego schedule at the link below. The schedule is updated daily.

San Diego Marine Information Systems - Maritime Information - Vessel Schedule

·
892 Posts
Also, never forget what Nick Murray has said on his YouTube channel about PDKs[/URL] ;-)

What I gleaned from watching this particular video is that PDK is much faster, you also have one hand still free to extend your middle digit to the driver of the car following you & unable to keep up & that Nick Murray unfortunately has a rather puerile toilet sense of humour, as well as appalling dress sense.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.