Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Boxster GTS 4.0 - Night Blue
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about pulling the trigger on this, and like the fact I can use my home link buttons to control it. However, I am a little worried about the amount of cutting / modification I might need to do on the car to install. It doesn't seem like much per the instructions, but has anyone installed and have feedback on the install? Anything you felt was "a bit too much" in terms of modification?

Finally, does it remember the last setting it was in between engine stop/starts?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good tip. How do you like the sound with the valves open, videos make it seem like it sounds a little more like the 981s when open 100% of the time

·
Registered
140 Posts
Good tip. How do you like the sound with the valves open, videos make it seem like it sounds a little more like the 981s when open 100% of the time
I love it, combined with soul over axle pipes (I installed them both at the same time). This is on a Boxster like you. Having the option to close the valves is handy this time of year as it's my daily driver and I'll have the top up until spring. I generally prefer them closed if I'm driving top-up for an extended period. I think on a Cayman I'd fiddle with opening and closing them more, but on the Boxster I've been treating them as seasonal. With the top down the radio is relatively pointless so being able to enjoy the engine/exhaust is great. I think you'll enjoy the option to open the valves all the time.

Another install tip I can't recall if the instructions included is when I cut the trunk grommet and poked the harness through I pulled the pins out of the connector to make it easier to just push through the wires without the plastic connector on the end. Installation isn't too bad, I just get stressed out taking things apart on Porsches because I know if I break an interior piece or anything it's annoyingly expensive versus something like my kid's Kia.

Your first post reminded me I should program Homelink. I didn't originally because I thought I needed two out of the three buttons for garage doors, but I'm only using one garage door so I might as well use the Homelink for the exhaust.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the feedback @Markoware, really good stuff. I think I'll start with the valve, and then see if i want the overaxle. Going topless we already hear more exhaust and intake noise, and I do like to be able to have a convo if I have a passenger.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Thanks for the feedback @Markoware, really good stuff. I think I'll start with the valve, and then see if i want the overaxle. Going topless we already hear more exhaust and intake noise, and I do like to be able to have a convo if I have a passenger.
Look forward to learning your opinion of sound without the over axle pipe. If possible, would like to see any installation pics you have an opportunity to shoot...Thanks!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you're concerned about cutting into stuff, try one of these instead. Simply plug-n-play

I do like those better from a plug and play, but like Soul for the homelink integration (trite I realize)...

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Look forward to learning your opinion of sound without the over axle pipe. If possible, would like to see any installation pics you have an opportunity to shoot...Thanks!
WARNING: personal opinions below:

I figured I should test the concept since all I needed was a piece of wire and 5 minutes, so I wired the valves open, and after driving a while in different situations I would say the engineers knew what they were doing with this exhaust setup as it comes out of the box. My overall takeaway was meh, it might be a little nicer from 3,000 to 3,800 RPM where the valves normally open, but droned from 2,000 - 3,000 RPM under lighter (or any really) throttle. My driving style is either relaxed cruising in Sport usually with PDK in auto mode, or more spirited driving in Sport+ with PDK in manual (no PDK vs Manual debates allowed in this thread 😅 we got others for that).

In auto / relaxed cruising - light throttle applications - there is some level of drone / unpleasant exhaust note if the engine is between 2,000 to 3,500 RPM and throttle is applied. And strangely, to my ears it droned more top down than top up. I definitely wouldn't keep the valves open in this driving style.

In manual sporty driving - I personally tend to stay in the 3,500 RPM range and if driving more sporty, keep it even higher, when the valves would be open anyway. Like I said the only "benefit" I saw was not having the transition of valve closed -> valve open @ 3,800 RPM, but the tradeoff was more drone getting to that point.

Overall, I don't think the stock exhaust sounds very nice with the valves open where the factory setting keeps them closed. Its not "rumbly" or muscular like I hoped, just more drone, and almost sounded like I was trying too hard to make the car sound better. My ears tell me the factory setting helps remove the drone, and I hear more of the intake / mechanical noises of the car when cruising or under lighter acceleration. Once you're giving it the beans you're over 4,000 RPM anyway.

My opinions at this point is that:
1) I like the stock setup sound more than I expected
2) I don't care for the valve always open sound
3) If I want more noise I might consider the over axle (but again see item 1), and would definitely need a ride along before doing
4) the best approach may be to change the whole exhaust system, but I would need to hear some options in person, and I'm not sure I would like it that much more vs $$$ applied. There are a few that are interesting though, here is an interesting video on that topic

So for now I won't be doing the valve nod, and will get back to just enjoying the drive. And getting my Smartop...

MOO & YMMV

·
Premium Member
636 Posts

I figured I should test the concept since all I needed was a piece of wire and 5 minutes, so I wired the valves open, and after driving a while in different situations I would say the engineers knew what they were doing with this exhaust setup as it comes out of the box.
Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. And Ferrari engineers have been doing the same thing for at least 15 years now also. I tried this on my 430 once years ago, using tees, and yeah that experiment lasted half a day. I'm pretty sure I will not do a valve controller on the Spyder.

What I may do is GPF delete or a new back box. I just don't know which of those two options is better to get the sound I want.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. And Ferrari engineers have been doing the same thing for at least 15 years now also. I tried this on my 430 once years ago, using tees, and yeah that experiment lasted half a day. I'm pretty sure I will not do a valve controller on the Spyder.

What I may do is GPF delete or a new back box. I just don't know which of those two options is better to get the sound I want.
Definitely watch that youtube video on a TV with a good sound system (or nice headphones, but I preferred speakers) - takes you through quite a few options, and the different characters of the systems is interesting.

Even so, for now I do enjoy the stock system, so I'll just enjoy driving! And FWIW, I have 7k miles on her, so if the exhaust truly has "seasoned", maybe that is also part of the reason I enjoy it a bit more.

Anxious for you guys to get your 4.0's so we can compare notes!

398 Posts
If anyone has any questions about our 718 4.0L exhaust components I'm always here to help! We're always standing by for a chat to go over all of your options to make sure that when it comes time to spend money that you're satisfied with the result.

If you're not liking the drone in the 2k-3k range, we recommend trying disabling the sound symposer which can cut down on that.

If you're after a more muscly sound - overaxle pipes would be a good option. I will say that we are about to test two new options - resonated and high flow catted which should give more control over volume.

Here is a good, long video with feedback featuring our OAP and valve controller with valves forced open:

If you're looking for slightly more volume but a more exotic note that is what we developed our Valved Exhaust System for.

Headers will make noticeable gains in drivability while increasing volume. Pairing these with over axle pipes can raise the volume to a point where it could be too aggressive for some.

If you have more questions, please let me know!

-Mike

·
Registered
140 Posts

I figured I should test the concept since all I needed was a piece of wire and 5 minutes, so I wired the valves open, and after driving a while in different situations I would say the engineers knew what they were doing with this exhaust setup as it comes out of the box. My overall takeaway was meh, it might be a little nicer from 3,000 to 3,800 RPM where the valves normally open, but droned from 2,000 - 3,000 RPM under lighter (or any really) throttle. My driving style is either relaxed cruising in Sport usually with PDK in auto mode, or more spirited driving in Sport+ with PDK in manual (no PDK vs Manual debates allowed in this thread 😅 we got others for that).

In auto / relaxed cruising - light throttle applications - there is some level of drone / unpleasant exhaust note if the engine is between 2,000 to 3,500 RPM and throttle is applied. And strangely, to my ears it droned more top down than top up. I definitely wouldn't keep the valves open in this driving style.

In manual sporty driving - I personally tend to stay in the 3,500 RPM range and if driving more sporty, keep it even higher, when the valves would be open anyway. Like I said the only "benefit" I saw was not having the transition of valve closed -> valve open @ 3,800 RPM, but the tradeoff was more drone getting to that point.

Overall, I don't think the stock exhaust sounds very nice with the valves open where the factory setting keeps them closed. Its not "rumbly" or muscular like I hoped, just more drone, and almost sounded like I was trying too hard to make the car sound better. My ears tell me the factory setting helps remove the drone, and I hear more of the intake / mechanical noises of the car when cruising or under lighter acceleration. Once you're giving it the beans you're over 4,000 RPM anyway.

My opinions at this point is that:
1) I like the stock setup sound more than I expected
2) I don't care for the valve always open sound
3) If I want more noise I might consider the over axle (but again see item 1), and would definitely need a ride along before doing
4) the best approach may be to change the whole exhaust system, but I would need to hear some options in person, and I'm not sure I would like it that much more vs $$$ applied. There are a few that are interesting though, here is an interesting video on that topic

So for now I won't be doing the valve nod, and will get back to just enjoying the drive. And getting my Smartop...

MOO & YMMV

I like your thinking. I've been driving around with the top up over the last week with the valve controller set to factory mode and the Soul over axle pipes. I forgot how good it is even with valves closed. For your relaxed cruising scenario that is an option worth considering, as it seems similar to my daily driver use case. It adds a little something without going crazy. To me the use case for replacing the entire exhaust would be to make the whole experience louder, which I wouldn't personally want, or for my scenario of slightly enhancing the tone I just wouldn't find value in a new exhaust. The over axle pipe is a nice upgrade especially for the money.

You'll like the Smartop...I waited a few months until I finally ordered one because I was trying to be responsible with not getting things that weren't super-necessary, but in retrospect I should have just done it right away. Just having the top controls be one-touch is worth it.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Seems we're on similar wavelengths, and sounds like you like the sound of the overaxles. When in stock valve mode, do you get a little more growl on light throttle and more volume when hard on it or does the character really change vs the stock OAP?

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
Definitely watch that youtube video on a TV with a good sound system (or nice headphones, but I preferred speakers) - takes you through quite a few options, and the different characters of the systems is interesting.

Even so, for now I do enjoy the stock system, so I'll just enjoy driving! And FWIW, I have 7k miles on her, so if the exhaust truly has "seasoned", maybe that is also part of the reason I enjoy it a bit more.
Yeah, that video helped, thanks. A cross pipe is what I would prefer (in both open and closed modes). That sounds better to me.

The question I am wondering is that I don't want more volume. I just want to optimize the tone. So my concern is that the stock system must have some reduced sound dampening to make up for the GPFs. So if you remove the GPFs, do you end up with something too loud? It's hard to calibrate from the videos because they aren't calibrated to each other.

And of course my sense of too loud is just my own sense, different from anyone else. So that makes it tough.

And, yes, I will definitely drive for a while with the stock system so I have a good baseline if nothing else. Plus my car is coming in Jan, so I would need until April to get used to the stock sound with the top down anyway. After that I'll probably just drive up to @Soul Performance Products and start experimenting.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Seems we're on similar wavelengths, and sounds like you like the sound of the overaxles. When in stock valve mode, do you get a little more growl on light throttle and more volume when hard on it or does the character really change vs the stock OAP?
Yes, it's a little more than stock in any scenario. A bit deeper and/or aggressive sounding maybe. For me I like the change in overall tone...it's sort of subtle but good. I only had the stock on for about 300 miles or so in December/January so it's been a while. I wanted slightly better sound and to get the dummy GPF out of the exhaust, which the OAP accomplished.

I look at the valve controller as a separate thing in that I can open up the valves in the low RPM range if I really want to go nuts. But I really don't want to hear it on my daily commute in traffic...I'd rather listen to the radio especially with the top up this time of year. As you experienced, opening the valves is a marked difference even on stock. I'll usually close them on highway cruising as well.

Obsessed garage has various YouTube videos about his experimentation with replacing different exhaust components (OAP, header, muffler) on his GT4. I think he's gone back to Soul OAP and valve controller to make the car livable. It's definitely all about personal tastes and use-cases, though. The last exhaust modification I did was several years ago on a 370z because to my ears it didn't sound like a proper sports car. I put on about the most subdued tasteful option there was seeing as how there are many much more obnoxious (to me) options out there for those cars.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've been thinking about the OAP a lot, and glad to hear that it's a little more (all relative depending on your start point and what you want) but I personally feel i love the stock exhaust, but just a leeeetle more would be nice.

This coming from the guy with the 81 SC and the Borla exhaust that turned that car into an alarm trigger - holy cow that was loud (but cool). Don't think I could do it today but live and learn

@nova996 might be a good road trip if i don't weaken and do the OAP this winter.... I can't leave stuff alone

1 - 18 of 18 Posts