·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here is a link to the mesh on Ebay -
Black ABS Plastic Grille Grill Honeycomb Mesh Net Vent Bumper 15x10mm | eBay

and the cable ties -
Cable Ties Black 140 x 3.5mm Pack of 100

It's the length that is important and it needs to be a minimum of 140mm.

I used cardboard to get the shape so I could use it as a template to cut the mesh with wire side cutters and used two holes in the middle of the template to make it easy to hold with thumb and forefinger after passing it through the slants. Also used a small hook made from a wire coat hanger to pass through hole in the mesh and pull through the end of the cable tie.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just fitted mesh to protect the radiators. Mesh from Ebay and I had to buy a pack of cable ties as well and so less than £17 all in. Happy chappie.
View attachment 28374

Took about 1.5 hours to shape and fit the mesh.
How did you uninstall the stardard grid to put the protections ?

Am looking for a DIY but I found nothing...

Thanks

·
Registered
712 Posts
There are a number of threads on the forum that discuss DIY install of mesh guards both side and front. The search function is your friend.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As requested. When you look close you can see the cable ties but from say more than 6 feet they are not noticeable at all. I also did them in a bit of a rush with the ties. These photos were straight after I did them and before I turned some of the ties so they looked better.

Most of my time I spent on getting the shape of the mesh correct before I fitted them. Only worry was getting the right mesh as it was hard to tell from photos on Ebay but if they had not turned out right then not a lot of money would have been wasted.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I tried to search for DIY... but I kindly ask you if you can suggest a step by step because I’m not an expert...
Do I have to remove the front bumper ?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
1,480 Posts
If the mesh is reasonably flexible you can just push, wiggle, etc. them through the slats.

Step-by-step.
Leave bumper in place.
Make thin cardboard (file folder card) models to get the size right. There is a bit of extra space on the inside compared to the openings. Take your time to get this right.
Work out how to get them through the slats—trial and error. (There really is a way, but I can't remember precisely what it was!)
Buy the mesh and the cable ties. (I used stainless gutter mesh black powder coated. This has smaller holes than the pics above and no difference in cooling was noticed. Daytime temps here can reach 46°C.)
Cut mesh to size.
Put in place. (Careful, the edges are sharp. You may want to tape any painted areas to avoid scratches.)
Pull them forward against the back of the slats and cable tie in place.
All done.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts