Porsche 718 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
966 Posts
Yeah, it does. But it shouldn't lug at that vehicle speed. Maybe a defective waste gate, or variable vane mechanism on the turbo? @AceSeventy Can you get a test drive on another car from your dealer, to see if the other car makes the same noise under the same conditions?
We don't know what the vehicle speed is. We only know the car is in gears above 2nd and at or below 1800rpm with the engine under load. The car could be moving at 10mph for all we know and then the OP is trying to accelerate without a downshift.

·
Banned
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
We don't know what the vehicle speed is. We only know the car is in gears above 2nd and at or below 1800rpm with the engine under load. The car could be moving at 10mph for all we know and then the OP is trying to accelerate without a downshift.
The vehicle speed is irrelevant.

There’s nothing wrong with the engine, the car is new and I tracked it a couple of days ago.

The problem seems to be that the pdk lugs the engine in normal mode when the accelerator is pressed to slowly for it to downshift. This of course creates a lot of vibrations from the engine/transmission which excites the instrument cluster and something in the back of the car. The resulting rattling sound is absolutely horrendous.

The only reason I can think of to program the pdk like this is to save fuel in some test cycle.

Two others has now been in the car when I’m driving and they agree that those rattles are unacceptable at this price point.

The car will be in for trying to fix this on Thursday.

·
Banned
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
The vehicle speed is irrelevant.

There’s nothing wrong with the engine, the car is new and I tracked it a couple of days ago.

The problem seems to be that the pdk lugs the engine in normal mode when the accelerator is pressed to slowly for it to downshift. This of course creates a lot of vibrations from the engine/transmission which excites the instrument cluster and something in the back of the car. The resulting rattling sound is absolutely horrendous.

The only reason I can think of to program the pdk like this is to save fuel in some test cycle.

Two others has now been in the car when I’m driving and they agree that those rattles are unacceptable at this price point.

The car will be in for trying to fix this on Thursday.
Another thing: the idea to program the individual mode to set the accelerator in normal and the pdk in sport is not possible since they cannot be set individually :(

·
Registered
358 Posts
Right side rear could be the pse valve, if you have pse that is.
This is my guess as well. It still does it occasionally- when lugging at just about that RPM. Only happens occasionally and not too concerned anymore. I have a manual shift so don't lug it too much.

·
Banned
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
This is my guess as well. It still does it occasionally- when lugging at just about that RPM. Only happens occasionally and not too concerned anymore. I have a manual shift so don't lug it too much.
Ok, interesting. The dealer test drove the car today and agreed that the rattles still were unacceptable and that they will either fix them or buyback the car. They ruled out any mechanical causes even though admitting that they hadn’t really checked actively

They will also check if there are alternative adaptions for the pdk in normal mode. They agreed that the pdk shouldn’t lug the engine like it does.

Seems hopeful at least!

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Ok, interesting. The dealer test drove the car today and agreed that the rattles still were unacceptable and that they will either fix them or buyback the car. They ruled out any mechanical causes even though admitting that they hadn’t really checked actively

They will also check if there are alternative adaptions for the pdk in normal mode. They agreed that the pdk shouldn’t lug the engine like it does.

Seems hopeful at least!
Good to hear that a buy back is no probs!
I tried to replicate the 1800rpm:s in normal mode today but the pdk down shift immediately!
My car is tuned but i cant remember my other to 718 S ever lug as yours is doing.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Yesterday, I tried for the better part of an hour to replicate your problem with my Cayman S. (Please appreciate my sacrifice, driving in Normal mode :eek: , I normally drive in Sport :D).

Being in town, I played around 1st and 2nd gear, going through 1800 upward or downward and also maintaining 1800 when the traffic allowed. Nothing, no vibration, nada.

I also wondered about your definition of 'lugging the engine' and also the fact you think the Sport mode is not appropriate for city driving. My engine accelerates smoothly at 1800 and my throttle response is fine for city driving in Sport Mode.

Initially, I discounted all this as you not being familiar with the throttle in this car (certainly took some getting used to after my 5.0 lt Mustang with 6MT).

Now, I am wondering whether it might be a feedback of the engine/exhaust system at 1800 RPM:unsure:...

Anyway, if the dealer confirmed it and you can get a replacement, that's better for you.

Good luck!

·
Banned
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Yesterday, I tried for the better part of an hour to replicate your problem with my Cayman S. (Please appreciate my sacrifice, driving in Normal mode :eek: , I normally drive in Sport :D).

Being in town, I played around 1st and 2nd gear, going through 1800 upward or downward and also maintaining 1800 when the traffic allowed. Nothing, no vibration, nada.

I also wondered about your definition of 'lugging the engine' and also the fact you think the Sport mode is not appropriate for city driving. My engine accelerates smoothly at 1800 and my throttle response is fine for city driving in Sport Mode.

Initially, I discounted all this as you not being familiar with the throttle in this car (certainly took some getting used to after my 5.0 lt Mustang with 6MT).

Now, I am wondering whether it might be a feedback of the engine/exhaust system at 1800 RPM:unsure:...

Anyway, if the dealer confirmed it and you can get a replacement, that's better for you.

Good luck!
Thx. I don’t have any rattles either in first and second gear. It’s a different story in higher gears. I think they will manage to fix the problem...

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
I hope so, and I am interested to find out what it was!

As I said, I did my tests driving around town, so 1800 in higher gears, quickly becomes license losing territory... :eek:

·
Registered
66 Posts
The PDK should not refuse to downshift from 3rd gear if you apply enough throttle to put the engine under load, as described. This makes me wonder about PDK calibration. There is another thread on this forum that describes a process by which an owner can reset the calibration of the PDK. It wouldn’t hurt to try it.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I have a MY17 718 S. If I drive in normal PDK mode, it will choose the highest gear it can and is often lugging below 2000RPM. When it does this, I get a lot of vibration through the car. I have owned many Subarus (but all manual transmission) and they have all done much the same if you apply a little load below 2000RPM. I think it may have something to do with the firing order and dynamics of a flat 4 engine.

What does dissappoint me is that Porsche felt the need to make it lug so much in N mode. I am sure it has to do with getting emissions/economy targets. My solution is simple. Just drive in S. It drives much better in S anyway. This problem is not a big deal to me. Just reporting my experiences here to assist the original poster.

·
Banned
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)
The PDK should not refuse to downshift from 3rd gear if you apply enough throttle to put the engine under load, as described. This makes me wonder about PDK calibration. There is another thread on this forum that describes a process by which an owner can reset the calibration of the PDK. It wouldn’t hurt to try it.
It doesn't do that, but in town enough throttle is sometimes to much. The fundamental problem seems to be that the PDK operates with the engine in this rpm range at all. It's obvious that the engine is out of it's comfort zone. But I can accept this inelegant PDK behaviour, as long as I can get rid of the rattles.

·
Banned
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I have a MY17 718 S. If I drive in normal PDK mode, it will choose the highest gear it can and is often lugging below 2000RPM. When it does this, I get a lot of vibration through the car. I have owned many Subarus (but all manual transmission) and they have all done much the same if you apply a little load below 2000RPM. I think it may have something to do with the firing order and dynamics of a flat 4 engine.

What does dissappoint me is that Porsche felt the need to make it lug so much in N mode. I am sure it has to do with getting emissions/economy targets. My solution is simple. Just drive in S. It drives much better in S anyway. This problem is not a big deal to me. Just reporting my experiences here to assist the original poster.
Yes, I also like S mode better, but in town it makes the accelerator a bit too sensitive. I'm hoping my dealer will find an alternative adaption of the PDK fro Porsche AG. We'll see what they come up with.

·
Registered
219 Posts
It doesn't do that, but in town enough throttle is sometimes to much. The fundamental problem seems to be that the PDK operates with the engine in this rpm range at all. It's obvious that the engine is out of it's comfort zone.
I agree. The engine should not be operating below 2000RPM at any more load than freeway cruising on a flat road. I love my 718, but the N mode of PDK is the only thing that really has me scratching my head and wondering what they were thinking (actually the tendancy to throw stones at itself is the other thing).... did they actually drive the car in that mode ever? I live in a hilly area, and if I drive in N I get this effect several times in my 20 minute commute... 3rd gear on a moderately steep hill.

S mode is perfect for me. It pretty much drives as perfect as I could expect any auto to drive for my driving style. It is a shame that there is no option to turn the exhaust pops off in S though. At the moment I am liking them, but it is a pain to have to go to N mode when you want to be stealth.

·
Banned
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I agree. The engine should not be operating below 2000RPM at any more load than freeway cruising on a flat road. I love my 718, but the N mode of PDK is the only thing that really has me scratching my head and wondering what they were thinking (actually the tendancy to throw stones at itself is the other thing).... did they actually drive the car in that mode ever? I live in a hilly area, and if I drive in N I get this effect several times in my 20 minute commute... 3rd gear on a moderately steep hill.

S mode is perfect for me. It pretty much drives as perfect as I could expect any auto to drive for my driving style. It is a shame that there is no option to turn the exhaust pops off in S though. At the moment I am liking them, but it is a pain to have to go to N mode when you want to be stealth.
It's probably done to pass emissions/fuel consumption tests as you mentioned earlier, i.e. out of necessity. If you can't turn the pops off I assume you don't have sport Chrono? If you have it you can make a sport mode without pops in the individual mode (but I'm sure you already knew this)...

I have the opposite problem, with a GPF there's absolutely no pops and bangs from the exhaust :) . In fact, the only time the engines sounds a bit fun is above 4-5K rpm. Perhaps that is best in the long run though.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I have sports chrono, but I can only select the I mode to be normal, sport or sport+. The sport+ does not have the pops, but sits in a low gear all the time... too aggressive for town driving. I'm happy enought with the pops 99% of the time and I can deal with N for the 1%.

I don't think there is anything wrong with your or my car. Just the way it is with these cars.

·
Banned
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I have sports chrono, but I can only select the I mode to be normal, sport or sport+. The sport+ does not have the pops, but sits in a low gear all the time... too aggressive for town driving. I'm happy enought with the pops 99% of the time and I can deal with N for the 1%.

I don't think there is anything wrong with your or my car. Just the way it is with these cars.
Ok in my car I can choose Sport and PSE as individual options for the the Individual mode, i.e. I can have sport mode without the PSE enabled... But perhaps PSE off on earlier cars still introduced some pops and bangs?

·
Registered
219 Posts
PSE off will still do pops in S mode... just not as loud. I actually don't have PSE and still get loud pops in S

·
Banned
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Left the car today at the dealer for a second attempt to fix the rattles. They want to keep the car for a week. The guy that acknowledged the rattles is on paternity leave so I fail to understand how they should even identify the problems amongst all other sounds from the car. Also it depends on driving style. They refused going with me in the car due to Corona.

This doesn’t look good at all :( . Most likely it will end in a buyback and a loss of money and time on my part...

21 - 40 of 64 Posts