Porsche 718 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Did you ever try disabling the Soundacktor? I have not tried this myself (I just drive in S all the time), but it seems like an easy thing to try. I think it is likely to improve the situation without completely fixing it.

·
Banned
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Did you ever try disabling the Soundacktor? I have not tried this myself (I just drive in S all the time), but it seems like an easy thing to try. I think it is likely to improve the situation without completely fixing it.
Seriously doubt that it’ll help, but perhaps I can try that as a last resort. You’re aware that model year -20 doesn’t have the original Soundaktor?

·
Registered
219 Posts
I believe there is a different soundaktor on later models, but that is does similar? Sounds like a 2 minute task to pull a fuse and try it. I believe the soundaktor would be adding to any engine noise, so it could certainly make a difference if not cure it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
There's an apocryphal tale about car manufacturing in the USA -- the short version is that you want a car built in the middle of the work week because the assembly workers will be hung-over on Mondays, and weary and mistake-prone on Fridays.

Maybe you got a car made on Monday! ;)

·
Banned
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
There's an apocryphal tale about car manufacturing in the USA -- the short version is that you want a car built in the middle of the work week because the assembly workers will be hung-over on Mondays, and weary and mistake-prone on Fridays.

Maybe you got a car made on Monday! ;)
Same tale in Sweden, or should I say reality :) ?

·
Banned
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #47

·
Banned
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Got the car back and the rattles are improved, but it’s not good enough.

They explained that large structures in the car are glued together and sometimes the glueing is not up to snuff, making large parts of the car to vibrate.

My car is a car that has less than ideal glueing
:( . So it’s essentially a turd that is unfixable, but still ok according to Porsche’s standards.

I will not buy Porsche again, the cars are too expensive and the waiting time too long for this too happen with another car. What a gigantic disappointment!

·
Super Moderator
1,530 Posts
What I really don't understand is the approach that seemingly some dealers take to problems. While I've had only two minor issues (but lots of questions) my dealer has never been less than helpful, cooperative, and friendly. I guess some dealers don't have long term customer sales in mind at all—which might explain why there is such a turnover in the businesses (or maybe vice versa: high turnover means no care for the longer term). 🙁

Let me once again suggest that a calm approach, with lots of data and your hopes for a future relationship with or without Porsche needs to be made to head office in Germany. My dealer tells me that Porsche is concerned for my happiness and satisfaction and supports them, and consequently me, very well, and that they want to be notified immediately of any issues.

Spending significant money on a dud is not to be tolerated.

·
Banned
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
What I really don't understand is the approach that seemingly some dealers take to problems. While I've had only two minor issues (but lots of questions) my dealer has never been less than helpful, cooperative, and friendly. I guess some dealers don't have long term customer sales in mind at all—which might explain why there is such a turnover in the businesses (or maybe vice versa: high turnover means no care for the longer term). 🙁

Let me once again suggest that a calm approach, with lots of data and your hopes for a future relationship with or without Porsche needs to be made to head office in Germany. My dealer tells me that Porsche is concerned for my happiness and satisfaction and supports them, and consequently me, very well, and that they want to be notified immediately of any issues.

Spending significant money on a dud is not to be tolerated.
Nothing wrong with my dealers attitude at all, on the contrary. It’s the product manufacturing that’s not up to snuff, i.e. Porsche AG.

The mechanic told me that he thought it unacceptable with this manufacturing quality at this price point (I.e. the sloppy glueing).

I’ve escalated this **** higher up the chain. I guess it’ll come down to if Porsche AG acknowledges this or not as usual.

·
Banned
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Comical with the response to this. All idiots in here just being quiet. I guess it’s Porsches reality distortion field in work.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Comical with the response to this. All idiots in here just being quiet. I guess it’s Porsches reality distortion field in work.
Everyone's an idiot because they offered suggestions of what it could be that turned out to be different than what you found? This is a forum, people will share their experiences and opinions, you figure out if it's helpful. If you're bitter because you got a poorly built car take that up with Porsche and grow up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
New to this forum with a NOS 2019 CS PDK Sports Chrono w/ PSE...still in break in period, but at about 1900 mi [5 weeks of use] with noises under load at low rpms like the OP's.
The issues are very similar. Under about 1800 RPM the cabin resonates pretty harshly unless there is no load to just a super light load on the motor. For instance, more or less coasting
on a slight downhill, no cabin resonance noises. Have learned to generally make infrequent use of engine speeds under about 1900-2000 RPM...I switch into Sports Mode unless on the freeway going
at least 63-65 MPH as 7th gear is the pits at say 55MPH in "Normal" under even pretty light load. But coasting along in 7th at that speed is fine, i.e., no engine load. I removed the Soundaktor fuse 3 weeks ago [that did cut down the cabin noise clutter]. Got rid of the usual noise suspects posted elsewhere on the forum [Cowling vibrations under the rear hatch using adhesive velcro, FIXED the privacy shield rattles, mostly remedied the noises from the caps over the radiator and oil filler, did check on the seat belt noise issues, etc].

The cabin resonance is much worse when the motor is cold, but still an issue when up to full oil temp of ~210F+. The noise issue
exists on even the smoothest new asphault surfaces, and of course the car is much noisier on old worn asphault, but that's a different matter. I have the 20" factory wheels with Eagle F1's.
The cabin resonance seems to be in all gears under load in that lower RPM range, but most annoying in upper gears, especially a PITA in 7th due to the gearing and operating right at the noise generating threshold of just at/under about 60MPH in that gear.

The car lives on the Central Coast of CA, so it doesn't see much in the way of large ambient temperature swings, btw.

Looks like the next things to try are getting a buddy to rev the motor incrementally up from about 1400--->1800 RPM and list for external noises, but there isn't much of a load on anything
just sitting in the driveway. Be nice to have a dyno on a lift handy.

Can one of you direct me to where I can get that Porsche "pure sound" CD for testing other resonance frequencies to get rid of the last few "other" noises, one by one?

Other suggestions welcome.

·
Registered
913 Posts
New to this forum with a NOS 2019 CS PDK Sports Chrono w/ PSE...still in break in period, but at about 1900 mi [5 weeks of use] with noises under load at low rpms like the OP's.
The issues are very similar. Under about 1800 RPM the cabin resonates pretty harshly unless there is no load to just a super light load on the motor. For instance, more or less coasting
on a slight downhill, no cabin resonance noises. Have learned to generally make infrequent use of engine speeds under about 1900-2000 RPM...I switch into Sports Mode unless on the freeway going
at least 63-65 MPH as 7th gear is the pits at say 55MPH in "Normal" under even pretty light load. But coasting along in 7th at that speed is fine, i.e., no engine load. I removed the Soundaktor fuse 3 weeks ago [that did cut down the cabin noise clutter]. Got rid of the usual noise suspects posted elsewhere on the forum [Cowling vibrations under the rear hatch using adhesive velcro, FIXED the privacy shield rattles, mostly remedied the noises from the caps over the radiator and oil filler, did check on the seat belt noise issues, etc].

The cabin resonance is much worse when the motor is cold, but still an issue when up to full oil temp of ~210F+. The noise issue
exists on even the smoothest new asphault surfaces, and of course the car is much noisier on old worn asphault, but that's a different matter. I have the 20" factory wheels with Eagle F1's.
The cabin resonance seems to be in all gears under load in that lower RPM range, but most annoying in upper gears, especially a PITA in 7th due to the gearing and operating right at the noise generating threshold of just at/under about 60MPH in that gear.

The car lives on the Central Coast of CA, so it doesn't see much in the way of large ambient temperature swings, btw.

Looks like the next things to try are getting a buddy to rev the motor incrementally up from about 1400--->1800 RPM and list for external noises, but there isn't much of a load on anything

Can one of you direct me to where I can get that Porsche "pure sound" CD for testing other resonance frequencies to get rid of the last few "other" noises, one by one?

Ensure the Soundaktor fuse is pulled.

·
Registered
5 Posts

There you go:

Squeak & Rattle CD

Cheers!

·
Registered
6 Posts
There you go:

Squeak & Rattle CD

Cheers!
Thanks for the link...CD ordered. This should be an interesting exercise. Never tried such a thing as a resonance generator for a car...
Usually it's just me using my fist to pound on parts of the car to see if I can generate a rattle. That worked well for the cowling under
the trunk lid which needed velcro at the nearest left corner of the lid [facing the car from the rear] to stop one rattle.

Also, I did pull the 7.5A Soundaktor fuse a couple of weeks ago and bagged it for easy replacement in the future. I kind of wonder if
that unit, designed to resonate the body structure, works in reverse somewhat and more than as a microphone.
That is, if the body structure itself would drive the resonator somewhat and act as a bit of
a drum at the lower RPM motor frequencies generated under light to medium engine loads i.e., roughly 1500-1800 RPM. Probably
not a universal issue as seems like most of you guys don't have the problem.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have a C718 base which i’ve had from new, it’s just gone in for its 1st MOT by the original OPC. I asked them to look at a couple of things under warranty, one of which was a rattle around 1800 rpm. I spoke with the workshop manager upon arrival who informed me he’s had several 718’s in with similar problem. He said there was a few things he could look at but indicated an exhaust bracket which was actually designed to expand/contract and prevent then rattle is a common cause.

Upon collecting the car I was informed they had tightened up the bracket. So far, it seems like they have fixed it!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a C718 base which i’ve had from new, it’s just gone in for its 1st MOT by the original OPC. I asked them to look at a couple of things under warranty, one of which was a rattle around 1800 rpm. I spoke with the workshop manager upon arrival who informed me he’s had several 718’s in with similar problem. He said there was a few things he could look at but indicated an exhaust bracket which was actually designed to expand/contract and prevent then rattle is a common cause.

Upon collecting the car I was informed they had tightened up the bracket. So far, it seems like they have fixed it!
Able to tell us more about the bracket? Might try and tighten on my own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

41 - 60 of 64 Posts