Porsche 718 Forum banner

61 - 80 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Able to tell us more about the bracket? Might try and tighten on my own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Does anyone have access to decent exhaust system schematics or photos for the Cayman S that would highlight the bracket that ExTTer mentions, assuming they are also on more than
the 2.0L motor? Otherwise I guess whilst awaiting the sound CD, I can put the rear end on race ramps, get out a rubber mallet, and start banging on pipes before cranking down on bolts.
I hope that's all it takes to get rid of this low RPM rattle under engine load. The car is so brilliant otherwise...

·
Registered
101 Posts
Does anyone have access to decent exhaust system schematics or photos for the Cayman S that would highlight the bracket that ExTTer mentions, assuming they are also on more than
the 2.0L motor? Otherwise I guess whilst awaiting the sound CD, I can put the rear end on race ramps, get out a rubber mallet, and start banging on pipes before cranking down on bolts.
I hope that's all it takes to get rid of this low RPM rattle under engine load. The car is so brilliant otherwise...
Is this diagram any good

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks Mark...

I found these diagrams before, but would love to see how they lay out
in the underbody as that just can't be guessed from the parts diagrams
alone. I tried looking at Youtube for this, but....can't always get what you
need there. Was hoping for photos of the underbelly of the car with
suggestions of what, IF anything, might cause or drive the rattles.

thanks for the links, though.
appreciated.

In the meantime, some of the other work on the car has reduced the
noises, somewhat. More work on the Privacy Shield, and addition
of the side air intakes covers, Zunnsport, seems have reduced the issues
further. It's often very tough to pinpoint noises unless they hit you in the face
or ear. Other resonances in the body are often just a headache to pinpoint.
You think they are coming from one spot, but the noise bounce off windows
and body panels and you're left with a mystery. That's kind of where I am.
But bit by bit... In the meantime, the car is just a brilliant handling machine.
Best handling car I've had, by far.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Everyone's an idiot because they offered suggestions of what it could be that turned out to be different than what you found? This is a forum, people will share their experiences and opinions, you figure out if it's helpful. If you're bitter because you got a poorly built car take that up with Porsche and grow up.
I want to apologise for my behaviour earlier, I have no excuse but an explanation: came home drunk from a party and was furious with the new fact that the car wasn't meant to be any better than it was.

My dealer has driven several other S:es and also talked with Porsche AG and ALL S cars (and probably GTS:es) has these rattles. It's a combination of a lack of build quality and the PDK lugging the engine to save fuel. One can improve the rattles somewhat by tightening stuff up, but most of the rattles will never go away.

Again this is only a problem when driving with the PDK in auto with Sport Chrono in normal mode.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I want to apologise for my behaviour earlier, I have no excuse but an explanation: came home drunk from a party and was furious with the new fact that the car wasn't meant to be any better than it was.

My dealer has driven several other S:es and also talked with Porsche AG and ALL S cars (and probably GTS:es) has these rattles. It's a combination of a lack of build quality and the PDK lugging the engine to save fuel. One can improve the rattles somewhat by tightening stuff up, but most of the rattles will never go away.

Again this is only a problem when driving with the PDK in auto with Sport Chrono in normal mode.
Well, you can make quite a few improvements to diminish the noise resonating from stuff being driven by the low RPM issue esp. from 7th gear at/under 60MPH. I suffer from from that, too, but
have read most everything in the forum to minimize the issue. It's made a HUGE difference. The photos show a few things not really covered well from what I found. So, please take
a look at these and go through the rest of the forum postings to get some more suggestions.

Also just got the Rattle and Squeek CD. Looks like most every noise I can find inside the cabin is coming from roughly the 31-40 Hz frequency range. Only 2 things I found from the cabin
area need work...the doors vibrate a bit, pulling handles inward dampens that AND the driver + passenger window at the upper seal area resonate. Once at 50 Hz or higher, nothing
is resonating from the cabin body to my ears.

Attachments

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Well, you can make quite a few improvements to diminish the noise resonating from stuff being driven by the low RPM issue esp. from 7th gear at/under 60MPH. I suffer from from that, too, but
have read most everything in the forum to minimize the issue. It's made a HUGE difference. The photos show a few things not really covered well from what I found. So, please take
a look at these and go through the rest of the forum postings to get some more suggestions.

Also just got the Rattle and Squeek CD. Looks like most every noise I can find inside the cabin is coming from roughly the 31-40 Hz frequency range. Only 2 things I found from the cabin
area need work...the doors vibrate a bit, pulling handles inward dampens that AND the driver + passenger window at the upper seal area resonate. Once at 50 Hz or higher, nothing
is resonating from the cabin body to my ears.
Good that you have been able to reduce the rattles. My dealer managed to improve the rattles significantly but it's still so bad that normal mode is pretty much unusable for me. The dealer told me that the car is meant to be driven ONLY in Sport och Sport Plus :) .

I find it ridiculous that we should have to do these kind of fixes to a car at this price point, it's not a kit car for gods sake!

·
Registered
765 Posts
Mine creaks and rattles from time-to-time. I owe it to stiff suspension and the fact the car is meant to be driven hard and, as such, is not a luxury car. Anyone expecting quiet, smooth and rattle-free probably should consider another car. I've got a few other cars I can drive when I want/need those attributes so maybe I'm biased. Yes, I still have it despite my threat to sell it - can't get there yet!

·
Registered
258 Posts
I have a 718B S. I have the the same <2000RPM resonating in N mode. I always drive in S mode... I just prefer that mode, so it is not an issue for me. I don't find the car to be specifically bad for rattles except for the resonating menitioned here.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Our BS is the first sports car I've ever owned that isn't plagued with creaks and rattles...something I learned to grin and bear in past sports and classic cars. Our dealer removed its only rattle (the plastic covering the rollover hoops buzzed) the first time it went in for service. Serious A+ to the dealer fix and to Porsche for build quality.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
I have a 718B S. I have the the same <2000RPM resonating in N mode. I always drive in S mode... I just prefer that mode, so it is not an issue for me. I don't find the car to be specifically bad for rattles except for the resonating menitioned here.
I guess you’re right...

·
Super Moderator
1,621 Posts
My 2017 Boxster has no rattles or any other extraneous noises. I've got to keep saying that rattles that can't be fixed mean the car is defective. Porsche and your dealer have to step up and make this problem go away. The 718 is too good a car for any excuse that it's something for you to endure.

I don't know about Sweden but in both the USA and here in Australia there are laws that would support the consumer. It's really a shame that you have to keep going through this. It's not proper at all.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
My 2017 Boxster has no rattles or any other extraneous noises. I've got to keep saying that rattles that can't be fixed mean the car is defective. Porsche and your dealer have to step up and make this problem go away. The 718 is too good a car for any excuse that it's something for you to endure.

I don't know about Sweden but in both the USA and here in Australia there are laws that would support the consumer. It's really a shame that you have to keep going through this. It's not proper at all.
Well, according to Porsche AG the rattling is a known “characteristic” of the 2.5 liter cars. So Porsche doesn’t regard these cars as defective.

I agree with you, it’s a subpar product given the price.

But just because you haven’t heard it doesn’t mean your car doesn’t have it as well. But hey, if you’re not bothered it’s great for you :) !

·
Super Moderator
1,621 Posts
Well, according to Porsche AG the rattling is a known “characteristic” of the 2.5 liter cars. So Porsche doesn’t regard these cars as defective.

I agree with you, it’s a subpar product given the price.

But just because you haven’t heard it doesn’t mean your car doesn’t have it as well. But hey, if you’re not bothered it’s great for you :) !
I know there's rattle in the PSE that can't be deleted unless you wire the valve (and I'd sure do that if I had the PSE!) but other non-functional noises are a real "no-no" for me.

Believe me, if they were there I'd hear them—those sorts of things annoy the cr*p out of me (which is why I sympathise with you). I had tiny noise in my last car from the window sticking and unsticking from the rubber surround at certain speeds over certain types of roads. Before I found what it was and worked out a cure I practically had the whole door apart. I tried wedges, trim adjustments, ..., and about 3 types of lube before I found one that worked.

That was the only noise on a base model Subaru, so noises on a 718 aren't acceptable, no matter who says what. They had years of testing to work those out, and they charge enough to deal with the occasional issue.

What happened to the buy-back offer?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
I know there's rattle in the PSE that can't be deleted unless you wire the valve (and I'd sure do that if I had the PSE!) but other non-functional noises are a real "no-no" for me.

Believe me, if they were there I'd hear them—those sorts of things annoy the cr*p out of me (which is why I sympathise with you). I had tiny noise in my last car from the window sticking and unsticking from the rubber surround at certain speeds over certain types of roads. Before I found what it was and worked out a cure I practically had the whole door apart. I tried wedges, trim adjustments, ..., and about 3 types of lube before I found one that worked.

That was the only noise on a base model Subaru, so noises on a 718 aren't acceptable, no matter who says what. They had years of testing to work those out, and they charge enough to deal with the occasional issue.

What happened to the buy-back offer?
According to Porsche AG the rattles varies a bit between different cars, so you might have lucked out, further it's somewhat driving style related as well. A final thing might be that people that drive manually never experience those low rpms.

My theory is that they didn't have time and/or resources enough to improve on the fundamental build quality of the car just for the 2.5 liter engines. It's probably fine with the 2.0 liter and 4.0 liter engines.

But I wonder how the GTS 4.0 sounds when running on three cylinders with this build quality?

·
Registered
962 Posts
According to Porsche AG the rattles varies a bit between different cars, so you might have lucked out, further it's somewhat driving style related as well. A final thing might be that people that drive manually never experience those low rpms.

My theory is that they didn't have time and/or resources enough to improve on the fundamental build quality of the car just for the 2.5 liter engines. It's probably fine with the 2.0 liter and 4.0 liter engines.

But I wonder how the GTS 4.0 sounds when running on three cylinders with this build quality?
Do a Google search. You'll find all kinds of people who despise the cylinder deactivation. Lots of reasons but one of the big ones is that it introduces a horrible drone.
FWIW

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
Do a Google search. You'll find all kinds of people who despise the cylinder deactivation. Lots of reasons but one of the big ones is that it introduces a horrible drone.
FWIW
That doesn’t surprise me, I can imagine the horrible dissonance from an uneven number of cylinders firing from one cylinder bank at a time 😀? I think I’ll do a search just to feel a bit better about my own rattles...

·
Registered
101 Posts
I don’t have any mechanical rattles. I have a bit of wind rustle ( above 65 mph ) around the rear of drivers window where it meets the hood and an occasional creak from somewhere around front of the dash where it meets the windscreen. Will investigate when I have a bit of time but to be fair I drop the top as much as possible so don’t hear these two noises much. I don’t even listen to the Bose stereo as I’m too busy trying to max the pse sound.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
I don’t have any mechanical rattles. I have a bit of wind rustle ( above 65 mph ) around the rear of drivers window where it meets the hood and an occasional creak from somewhere around front of the dash where it meets the windscreen. Will investigate when I have a bit of time but to be fair I drop the top as much as possible so don’t hear these two noises much. I don’t even listen to the Bose stereo as I’m too busy trying to max the pse sound.
Funny you should mention that, today I realized that I’ve hardly used the Bose since I got the car :) . I guess it’s just a phase...

61 - 80 of 89 Posts