Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
This is the build ... 8% off ?? What do you think ??

View attachment 30220
IMO, I think you really need the PDLS system for night driving. It's really excellent. I like you have factory NAV....wish I had that as Apple Car Play is no substitute when off the beaten path with no cell towers around. May not be an issue depending on where you are. Can't speak to 2 way seats, have the 14 way ones on my CS. Suggest you compare all the seat versions the dealer has...
and see if you'll be happy with the 2-ways. Can you find a 2020 CS with even more of a discount?

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Apple CarPlay/Google maps can be used offline if you have downloaded the maps on your phone. A little forethought in your part can go a long way. And the maps are accurate to the day you downloaded them!

The factory NAV is wrong on my own street, which becomes pedestrian a few blocks down the road from my house. The NAV insists enthusiastically to continue on, even make a turn to go back and go through the pedestrian part. I don't trust it in a city that I knw, imagine having to trust it in a different big city (say San Antonio)...

By the way, I live a mile and a half from Downtown Houston, not in the boonies, and the pedestrian street belongs to a local Community College, whose campus has been there for 50 years more or less...

·
Registered
8 Posts
I will be following this thread with interest, I can’t find any dealers with an allocation who want to sell below MSRP. If you find one, them them I will buy also, and get a volume discount 😂😂😂

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I should say this is not an allocation , this is in the showroom now. It's really nicely optioned, but I think I really want PASM . I am wondering how much I should be offering for it .

·
Registered
21 Posts
Apple CarPlay/Google maps can be used offline if you have downloaded the maps on your phone. A little forethought in your part can go a long way. And the maps are accurate to the day you downloaded them!

The factory NAV is wrong on my own street, which becomes pedestrian a few blocks down the road from my house. The NAV insists enthusiastically to continue on, even make a turn to go back and go through the pedestrian part. I don't trust it in a city that I knw, imagine having to trust it in a different big city (say San Antonio)...

By the way, I live a mile and a half from Downtown Houston, not in the boonies, and the pedestrian street belongs to a local Community College, whose campus has been there for 50 years more or less...
Sorry that the Porsche NAV for you isn't cutting it. Perhaps your dealer has new maps and you can embarrass the GM of you dealership into giving you a free update with better mapping data. Then again, this might just a a Porsche issue and even if I had factory Porsche NAV, I would be less than happy, too, if the maps are that poor. Can't speak to it from experience.

This is one of the few cars in maybe 20 years purchased without factory NAV. My experience with this alternative: I've had Apple Car play insist, over 50 times, for me to go on the route it wants me take when I take side roads in the "boonies", no cell coverage, to the final destination, maps pre-loaded at start of the trip. Sometimes I'll just take an alternative side road to avoid the main route to my final destination mid trip to avoid monotony of the primary roads and that might be 5 or 15 miles offset from the main route that Apple plugged in for me initially. Without cell coverage, the poor thing just
sits there confused for the next 10 or 20 miles until it can break out of it's brain-freeze. I find it to be sub, sub, bottom of the basement poor for my personal use. Probably ok for most urban areas or the flats where towers aren't shadowed by mountains. With every other factory NAV system I've had, within half a mile or maybe a few miles, regardless of B or C grade roads [even on dirt roads sometimes], regardless of cell tower signals [GPS based vs. pseudo cell-tower "GPS" location] the factory systems will figure out what I'm doing, adapt the route, and not get brain-freeze.

Back to the OP...bought my car as a NOS that sat on the dealer's lot for just over a year. Had about 100 miles on it and bought it new, so not a "used car". 2019 CS. MSRP was ~$89K, Sales price $76K, fyi. Got it out of state and had it shipped over 500 miles to my doorstep, so 85% of MSRP if I exclude shipping. So, times change, dealer availability, expectations for the next gen car all differ, but hard to beat NOS deals. Also, I'm not keen on waiting on special orders, but I can see how once you figure out what you're missing, what options you'd really like, doing a special order might be the ONLY way to find exactly what you want given production volumes as low as the 718s.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I should say this is not an allocation , this is in the showroom now. It's really nicely optioned, but I think I really want PASM . I am wondering how much I should be offering for it .
For a car on the showroom floor costing the dealer money every day it sits, 8% off MSRP is a very fair price for both of you ASSUMING it's a 2021. Unless it's EXACTLY the car you want, I would not accept a discount of less than 7%, and I would probably start the negotiation at 12% off. I think a discount of anywhere between 7 and 12 percent off MSRP is reasonable.

If it's a 2020, I would be looking for 15-20% off MSRP.

·
Super Moderator
1,680 Posts
Two comments—
Due to the zombie apocalypse expensive vacations overseas are turning into cars and stereos and discounts are hard to come by. The lower production also means that fewer cars are available. Good luck.

Navs (all navs) use maps, and maps can be very wrong. I visited a new city on vacation and picked up a tourist map from the government bookshop. It wanted me to drive on a street that didn't exist because the university had been there for only 50+ years. 😳

·
Registered
27 Posts
6 months ago, I picked up a highly optioned 2019, new that had been on the lot for a while and with minimal miles on it (<100). Luckily it was within driving distance. A bit over 18% off MSRP. Took a bit of bargaining over the phone, but only two or three emails and two conversations.
It had more options than I would have ordered myself, but ones that I'm definitely enjoying now!

·
Premium Member
1,162 Posts
This is one of the few cars in maybe 20 years purchased without factory NAV. My experience with this alternative: I've had Apple Car play insist, over 50 times, for me to go on the route it wants me take when I take side roads in the "boonies", no cell coverage, to the final destination, maps pre-loaded at start of the trip. Sometimes I'll just take an alternative side road to avoid the main route to my final destination mid trip to avoid monotony of the primary roads and that might be 5 or 15 miles offset from the main route that Apple plugged in for me initially. Without cell coverage, the poor thing just sits there confused for the next 10 or 20 miles until it can break out of it's brain-freeze. I find it to be sub, sub, bottom of the basement poor for my personal use. Probably ok for most urban areas or the flats where towers aren't shadowed by mountains. With every other factory NAV system I've had, within half a mile or maybe a few miles, regardless of B or C grade roads [even on dirt roads sometimes], regardless of cell tower signals [GPS based vs. pseudo cell-tower "GPS" location] the factory systems will figure out what I'm doing, adapt the route, and not get brain-freeze.
This is really an odd experience for CarPlay. I use Google Maps on mine, with saved map areas of where I'm likely to go. As I'm on rural twisties with numerous possible routes to take, I do have to break up my destinations a bit more incrementally than I actually should have to, but even then, it gives me alternate options when I come upon them. Sometimes I pick the suggested route, sometimes not. Because it remembers my past destinations, I just have to pick them from a list on the fly. A typical 1.5 hour romp may require three intermediate destinations. No big deal.

·
Registered
18 Posts
After checking with a dozen or so dealers in the south east coast, I was able to secure a 7.5% discount off MSRP on a new build base Cayman. Many dealers claimed they couldn’t come close to the discount I received. One local dealer sarcastically told me to put on my running shoes and run to that deal...which I did. Looking for delivery in early June ‘21. Extremely excited! Best of luck!

·
Registered
12 Posts

View attachment 30226
Yeah, if you're going to go for 20s, you should include PASM, IMO, for better ride and generally better-controlled body movements.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, if you're going to go for 20s, you should include PASM, IMO, for better ride and generally better-controlled body movements.
Yeah , that's the other thing , I'd actually rather have the 18s , or 19s If they just lefts the 18's on and added PASM , I'd be pretty close to pulling the trigger on this one.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Yeah , that's the other thing , I'd actually rather have the 18s , or 19s If they just lefts the 18's on and added PASM , I'd be pretty close to pulling the trigger on this one.
Everything is negotiable...wheels included.

·
Super Moderator
1,680 Posts
Everything is negotiable...wheels included.
The ride gets a bit more abrupt as the wheel size increases, so think about the state of your roads for that.
The other difference is that more tyre brands are available for the 19s and 20s. I bought the 18s for the roads but now can't fit Michelins, and I've been a Michie fan for over 50 years. Michelin did say they were going to produce tyres for the 18s but never have.(sigh) So far the Pirellis are excellent but don't have quite the wear of the Michies, although it one European comparison of summer super sport tyres the Pirellis were top in 'feel' and wet performance by 'huge' amount!🤣 (Less than 5% according to the actual numbers.)

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Sorry that the Porsche NAV for you isn't cutting it. Perhaps your dealer has new maps and you can embarrass the GM of you dealership into giving you a free update with better mapping data. Then again, this might just a a Porsche issue and even if I had factory Porsche NAV, I would be less than happy, too, if the maps are that poor. Can't speak to it from experience.
The pedestrian portion of my street was pedestrianized in 2012. My Cayman is MY18. There was plenty of time to update the maps in Downtown Houston and load a 'fresh' copy on my car, don't you think? Anyway, my point is that if they can't correct errors 6 years down the road the maps are unreliable!...

The Apple Maps are not famous about their behavior either, but I have yet to see someone that understands how Google Maps works (in rerouting) to have any problems with it, online or offline.

Anyway, if you are happy with the Porsche NAV, I wish you happy motoring!...

·
Registered
51 Posts
After checking with a dozen or so dealers in the south east coast, I was able to secure a 7.5% discount off MSRP on a new build base Cayman. Many dealers claimed they couldn’t come close to the discount I received. One local dealer sarcastically told me to put on my running shoes and run to that deal...which I did. Looking for delivery in early June ‘21. Extremely excited! Best of luck!
What was your approach for contacting dealers and requesting off MSRP? I’m looking to do the same soon.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I initially reached out to the internet sales folks at a few dealerships in and around my state. After one of them provided me with what I felt was a strong discount (based on previous research which said expect 5 - 7%) I shopped that quote around the state looking for a better deal. Most claimed they couldn’t come close to the 7.5%. Some actually reported that they don’t give discounts on orders. Ended up finding a relatively local dealer that couldn’t beat but would honor the 7.5%. Decided to go with them based on reviews, locality, and overall positive feeling I received from the sales associate.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I initially reached out to the internet sales folks at a few dealerships in and around my state. After one of them provided me with what I felt was a strong discount (based on previous research which said expect 5 - 7%) I shopped that quote around the state looking for a better deal. Most claimed they couldn’t come close to the 7.5%. Some actually reported that they don’t give discounts on orders. Ended up finding a relatively local dealer that couldn’t beat but would honor the 7.5%. Decided to go with them based on reviews, locality, and overall positive feeling I received from the sales associate.
That’s helpful. When you reached out, did you say you wanted a specific % discount, or did you say “what’s the best off MSRP you can give”? I’m not a fan of my local dealer (we’ve bought 4 Porsches and never from that dealer), so I’m willing to do the transaction remotely.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts