Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Misting up badly …mainly the drivers side ( U.K. car) I have had it in to the OPC who says it’s normal , despite just being a year old with 3k mileage .

I have had , and have other cars with LED lighting that this doesn’t happen on.

if it’s “ normal” why does one light fog up much worse than the other ?
Mine dogs that badly that it impairs the light output on that side , side, brake and indicator.

I understand that the lights are vented, from what I gather all lights are,I certainly know my 1980 Ford cortina lights were, but this to me is a non excuse.

I truly believe that’s it’s bad design and manufacture, and they have dropped the ball..
But being Porsche they wont admit the issue and drop a couple of thousand pounds into new year lights to sort the issue, despite the car being £90,000 last year .

Im pretty disgusted with the dealers attitude to be honest, they can have the thing back and I will buy from another manufacturer..

·
Registered
GTS 2.5 Manual
12 Posts
I went along to the track day at Anglesey Circuit last Saturday in my GTS and was pretty shocked at the state of the tail-lights on all the 718's. There must have been 12 or so Spyder's there all with varying levels of condensation in the lamps. It's not good is it...

My response from Porsche Chester was similar. "They all do that sir..."

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, it’s not good at all..

I love the Ty Croes circuit, nowhere better on a nice day

I do not quite believe they all do it either …. Typical dealer cop out that in my opinion ..I also think it’s totally unacceptable on a premium product with a price tag to match.

I dare say come MOT time that when the rear lights started failing on impaired light output, the dealers will be happy to relieve you of a £1000 a side to rectify this non fault .

With the amount of dripping water inside the light im suprised we are not hearing about LED failures more often , but I guess the cars are still relatively new

·
Registered
850 Posts
No, it’s not good at all..

I love the Ty Croes circuit, nowhere better on a nice day

I do not quite believe they all do it either …. Typical dealer cop out that in my opinion ..I also think it’s totally unacceptable on a premium product with a price tag to match.

I dare say come MOT time that when the rear lights started failing on impaired light output, the dealers will be happy to relieve you of a £1000 a side to rectify this non fault .

With the amount of dripping water inside the light im suprised we are not hearing about LED failures more often , but I guess the cars are still relatively new
Probably not want you want, as your asking for a total replacement but i had exactly the same problem when my car was new and also got the old “they all do that sir” answer.
I simply drilled 2 x 5mm holes at in the rear of the lights one at the top and one at the bottom in a central location (when you remove the lights and look you will see the most logical locations, the top hole is drilled below the light seal ),
after a couple of weeks the condensation within the light clusters cleared up and have been fog free since, although they do duffer from very light fogging in the morning when the sun hits them but its limited to a 2” round patch in the corner and does not affect the light operation, this misting clears within an hour.

Cheers ALB

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for that …

An easy fix it seems, gorilla engineering at its best 😂

Perhaps the OPC could do this and keep their customers happy ?

I now think (apart from there obviously being a fault) is that the dismissive attitude of the dealers really rankles … basically put up with it , because that’s how it’s designed ..
I call BS on that

·
Registered
5 Posts
It is perfectly normal and many cars do exhibit light condensation. Modern lights are not sealed air tight units as this allows pressure and/or temperature differences between the inside and outside of the housing to more or less equalise. Condensation is imply the result of temperature differences between the inside and outside of the light unit which disappears once the temperatures equalise. It does not harm the lights.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the response ..

Lights are always vented and have been for years , the lights on my Bmw and My Tesla are vented …..
But neither suffer this issue

And if this was the case , why would one side frost up and not the other side , surely if it was temperature and atmospherics both sides would equally be as bad ?

·
Premium Member
1,885 Posts
Mid/rear engine placement must contribute to this. Lots of heat back there and some coming off of the turbo probably is the reason why one fogs and the other doesn't.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Thanks for the response ..

Lights are always vented and have been for years , the lights on my Bmw and My Tesla are vented …..
But neither suffer this issue

And if this was the case , why would one side frost up and not the other side , surely if it was temperature and atmospherics both sides would equally be as bad ?
Mine are also pretty bad especially the rear right. 3 out of 4, 718s I saw in the local car park the other week had bad condensation in their rear lights including a 2022 GT4 and a 2021 GTS (although not as bad as mine). I posted pictures on another thread.

I can imagine people behind me in traffic astounded that a Porsche could have such a problem - bit embarrassing really. I've never had this in any other car.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mid/rear engine placement must contribute to this. Lots of heat back there and some coming off of the turbo probably is the reason why one fogs and the other doesn't.
Thanks

Non turbo

4.0 GTS….
I like yourself think engine placement too, but I don’t think it detracts that the lenses shouldn’t do it

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mine are also pretty bad especially the rear right. 3 out of 4, 718s I saw in the local car park the other week had bad condensation in their rear lights including a 2022 GT4 and a 2021 GTS (although not as bad as mine). I posted pictures on another thread.

I can imagine people behind me in traffic astounded that a Porsche could have such a problem - bit embarrassing really. I've never had this in any other car.
Exactly …

My friend took a picture of mine from behind .

The car looks broken with one sweaty light and the other one perfect .

Perhaps it’s just me, but it spoils the car and makes me feel very indifferent to owning it

·
Registered
253 Posts
I live in a location that's pretty dry, so I've not experienced this, but I'm with you that it would not be acceptable to me. I'd keep pushing the dealer to replace it. None of the cars I've owned in the past (or currently) have lights that fog up, so it does sound like Porsche's venting design is a little less than stellar.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I live in a location that's pretty dry, so I've not experienced this, but I'm with you that it would not be acceptable to me. I'd keep pushing the dealer to replace it. None of the cars I've owned in the past (or currently) have lights that fog up, so it does sound like Porsche's venting design is a little less than stellar.
Yes
Will do …

I just don’t think it’s acceptable on a premium brand manufacturer at a car at this cost

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The solution would be to redesign the rear light venting system so it doesn’t happen

I have had 3 x 911’s and a 981 Cayman and never had an issue before ..

Perhaps this maybe something to do with the 718 as it’s a different design and different pattern of LED’s, or perhaps it’s poor manufacturing..

·
Registered
506 Posts
The solution would be to redesign the rear light venting system so it doesn’t happen

I have had 3 x 911’s and a 981 Cayman and never had an issue before ..

Perhaps this maybe something to do with the 718 as it’s a different design and different pattern of LED’s, or perhaps it’s poor manufacturing..
My 987 Cayman (2011) was fine as well, as is my 27yr old Toyota.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
My tail lights mist up and to be honest the headlights mist up on my wife's Tesla when I've washed it.

I'm not overly concerned and I've had several cars before, BMW & VW, that have had lights that mist up.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts