Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2017 718 Boxster, 2007 Cayman
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its good to see US sales figures record for Porsche 718 models. They sold only 400 last year for Jan-Mar and this year they sold a record 1506. We should see a lot of new members in the forum this year. The more 718's sold, the more money Porsche spends on the future models.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Its good to see US sales figures record for Porsche 718 models. They sold only 400 last year for Jan-Mar and this year they sold a record 1506. We should see a lot of new members in the forum this year. The more 718's sold, the more money Porsche spends on the future models.
Any info about the 718 breakdown?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any info about the 718 breakdown?
That's actually a great question, boxster, cayman, base, s, GTS, Spyder, GT4, I don't know if I ever saw those numbers anywhere in the past. What's interesting, most other sport car numbers rose by a small percentage over last years 1st quarter, but 718's almost sold 4 times as many. Even the 911 went from 2500 units to 2700. Would like to know why the big sales boost, I think they sold 1500 in last years 4th quarter. So the boom started in October.

·
Registered
160 Posts
That's actually a great question, boxster, cayman, base, s, GTS, Spyder, GT4, I don't know if I ever saw those numbers anywhere in the past. What's interesting, most other sport car numbers rose by a small percentage over last years 1st quarter, but 718's almost sold 4 times as many. Even the 911 went from 2500 units to 2700. Would like to know why the big sales boost, I think they sold 1500 in last years 4th quarter. So the boom started in October.
The breakdown could tell a lot about the new Porsche customer:
All whinners about the turbo engine were wrong and became a minority?
Or the new 4.0 boosted the sales, so it was a smart move?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The breakdown could tell a lot about the new Porsche customer:
All whinners about the turbo engine were wrong and became a minority?
Or the new 4.0 boosted the sales, so it was a smart move?
The whining started before the 718 came out, but since its release the reviews keep getting better. There has been a lot of reviews saying it could be the best sports car in the world. I agree and I guess the world got out finally. I am sure the combination of the 4.0 and the Torquey turbo helped sales.

·
Super Moderator
1,901 Posts
Why are sales up so much?
Zombies! 😁
People can't spend up large on vacation travel/accommodation and so take up driving to places closer to home. High end stereo sales are also up.

·
Registered
727 Posts
My guess is that it is a combination of the impact of COVID-19 on both deliveries, and how consumers chose to spend their discretionary income (no holidays etc.); as well as the launch of some desirable models in the GT4, Spyder and GTS 4.0.

·
Registered
160 Posts
My guess is that it is a combination of the impact of COVID-19 on both deliveries, and how consumers chose to spend their discretionary income (no holidays etc.); as well as the launch of some desirable models in the GT4, Spyder and GTS 4.0.
The breakdown would say which one is more desirable by customers, maybe turbo is more desirable, or maybe 4.0 ?

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
In the past, it was hard to find a Boxster/Cayman breakdown. I never saw a Boxster/base/S/GTS/Cayman breakdown, let alone now with the addition of 4 NA-6 models. Does it really matter?

It just dawned on me!... Are the people buying the GT4/Spyder eschewing the similarly priced 911 Carrera because it is a twin turbo?... :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
2021 718 Spyder PDK
57 Posts
I'm confused, are two turbos better than one, or are two twice as bad?o_O
Actually the ideal is an engine made entirely of turbos and no cylinders...just you wait!

I’ll answer your question as soon as I find the Turbo in my Taycan, I am still looking for it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Turbos are so appealing nowadays, so Porsche put a Turbo badge on a Taycan that has not a turbo. Lol
I would have loved to have been in meeting when the marketing director is explaining to the CEO "we need to call it Taycan Turbo S" and the CEO looks at the engineers and says "you put a turbo in it?"

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
About 718 sales being up, a month or two ago my dealer send me email asking if I wanted to sell mine back to them. Apparently there is more demand than supply. And maybe they wanted to up-sell me a 911 too.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Personally I think it's due to subliminal advertising 😜

·
Super Moderator
1,901 Posts
About 718 sales being up, a month or two ago my dealer send me email asking if I wanted to sell mine back to them. Apparently there is more demand than supply. And maybe they wanted to up-sell me a 911 too.
My guess would be that they are hoping it would give them two profits.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I think this is the case across the entire Porsche range and not just 718s. I went to one dealer recently whose showroom was almost empty. As a result dealers are actively advertising for people to come talk to them about selling their cars

1 - 20 of 46 Posts