Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm driving a 718 Cayman with 20" rims. Nearly time to replace the Pirelli's. Anyone running any other brand. For me, the car is a daily driver so i'm looking for quiet running. I haven't yet done any track time so not too important.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I'm driving a 718 Cayman with 20" rims. Nearly time to replace the Pirelli's. Anyone running any other brand. For me, the car is a daily driver so i'm looking for quiet running. I haven't yet done any track time so not too important.
Hello, I have the 20" rims also, with the pirelli tires, just wondering how many miles your getting out of them?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so far they've done 14000kms (about 9000 mls). My 718 Cayman was the dealers demonstrator and had been on the track, plus my daily drive is a pretty good hill and curve filled trip :). I imagine i'd get 20,000kms if it was flat driving.

·
Registered
128 Posts
so far they've done 14000kms (about 9000 mls). My 718 Cayman was the dealers demonstrator and had been on the track, plus my daily drive is a pretty good hill and curve filled trip :). I imagine i'd get 20,000kms if it was flat driving.
Wow, I guess they don't last long, I'm at 4500 miles now.
Pirelli is a soft tire. I have seen Michelin used also. I do mostly city and freeways. Curious to see what you decide on .

·
Registered
145 Posts
tires

I still have my Goodyears on my '17CS, but I have heard very good reports about the new Michelins. One of my friends( '16 CS ) replaced his Pirellis with the new Michelins and said the tire noise reduced dramatically and he felt that the handling improved.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Michelin Pilot Sport 4S is the best sport tire you can buy for the 718.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Michelin Pilot Sport 4S is the best sport tire you can buy for the 718.
Are the MPS4S rated as N spec for the 718 yet?

The (admittedly outdated) N spec pdf on the Porsche website doesn't list them yet.

https://www.porsche.com/australia/a...rscheservice/vehicleinformation/tyreapproval/

Edit: yes they are. A bit of searching on tirerack has them listed as N0 (at least for 20 inch wheels)

https://m.tirerack.com/tires/tires....PS4SXLN0&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

Edit 2... link doesn't work. And I can't make it work :(

·
Registered
716 Posts
Another nod for the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. They have excellent grip and last a good long time. In my experience Pirellis don't last long,and neither do Yokohamas. The Michelins should last for easily 20,000 miles of standard daily driving.

·
Super Moderator
1,887 Posts
Yet another PS4S nod. That's what I'll be putting on my car in May. I have 6,100 miles on the Yokos that came with my 718, and they probably have 2k left on 'em at most.

That said, the new Continental ExtremeContact Sport has a higher UTQG rating (340, vs. the PS4S' 300) and thus should wear slightly better -- and I've heard mostly good things about that new tire. However, I've heard nothing but positives about the PS4S -- and if its better than its predecessor, the PSS, it's by far the best MPS tire on the market.

Reactions: weemalci

·
Registered
104 Posts
The name would let asume it, but the PS3 was not the predecessor of the new PS4S. The predecessor was the PSS (Pilot Super Sport).
The PS3 was the predecessor of the PS4 without S.
The S make a big difference.

·
Super Moderator
1,887 Posts
The name would let asume it, but the PS3 was not the predecessor of the new PS4S. The predecessor was the PSS (Pilot Super Sport).
The PS3 was the predecessor of the PS4 without S.
The S make a big difference.
You're correct; my post is corrected. Think I got the PSS confused with the PS3+ A/S tire. Thanks (That's what I get for not checking myself)!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Many new 718 GTS have been delivered with MPS4S.
So only 20"right now with N-rating.

·
Registered
699 Posts
What would y'all do for the 19" at the moment?

P Zero N1s
or
Pilot Sport 4S not N spec

I lean towards only using N spec tires. Thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
1,887 Posts
What would y'all do for the 19" at the moment?

P Zero N1s
or
Pilot Sport 4S not N spec

I lean towards only using N spec tires. Thoughts?
If they're available, sure. If they're not, I wouldn't sweat it. It's my understanding that the primary thing Porsche focuses on improving with the N-spec is high-speed (i.e., triple-digit) wet-weather traction.

AFAIK, Porsche will only N-spec tires if they are actually supplied as OEM. So if the PS4S isn't chosen as an OEM tire for the 19-inch rim size, there won't be an N-spec version produced by Michelin. Thing is, the PS4S is so much better of a tire than almost all of its competition, I think the tradeoff is worth it unless you live in, and drive very fast in, wet conditions frequently.

Reactions: MattRG and trusted

·
Registered
716 Posts
The PS4S are available in 19" sizes for the 718 now. TireRack has them. IMO the N spec doesn't really matter for such a tire. We all know the tire is amazing. It just doesn't have an N spec because Porsche hasn't officially approved it yet. I'm going to get them when the Yokohamas that came on my car need to be replaced. My Porsche dealership will install them as well - doesn't matter that they are not N spec.

·
Registered
115 Posts
The PS4S are available in 19" sizes for the 718 now. TireRack has them. IMO the N spec doesn't really matter for such a tire. We all know the tire is amazing. It just doesn't have an N spec because Porsche hasn't officially approved it yet. I'm going to get them when the Yokohamas that came on my car need to be replaced. My Porsche dealership will install them as well - doesn't matter that they are not N spec.

Discount Tire will price match TireRack. Discount Tire gives the best customer service and has lifetime rotation and balancing. I have used multiple locations, in several cities and have always received exceptional service. A quick call and they will tell you how long they can get you in and out for a ro/bal. Well run company.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts