Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I finally bought my first Porsche 718 and I love everything about the car execpt the stock stereo and head unit (base system, not BOSE). When I went to crutchfield to see about a replacement NONE of their In dash receivers have been tested for fit on this car (and every other site i went to was the same). Normally, I would just upgrade the speakers and amp it out but my head unit also lacks Apple CarPlay which I used on my old car and I was told even the Porsche CarPlay retrofit leaves a lot to be desired. So I guess my three questions are:

1. Has anyone swapped out their head unit in the 718 series Boxster/Cayman?

2. What CarPlay capable units fit the stock stereo enclosure?

3. And has anyone done the CarPlay retrofit to the stock system?

I appreciate any advice/experiences I can get.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hello,

I finally bought my first Porsche 718 and I love everything about the car execpt the stock stereo and head unit (base system, not BOSE). When I went to crutchfield to see about a replacement NONE of their In dash receivers have been tested for fit on this car (and every other site i went to was the same). Normally, I would just upgrade the speakers and amp it out but my head unit also lacks Apple CarPlay which I used on my old car and I was told even the Porsche CarPlay retrofit leaves a lot to be desired. So I guess my three questions are:

1. Has anyone swapped out their head unit in the 718 series Boxster/Cayman?

2. What CarPlay capable units fit the stock stereo enclosure?

3. And has anyone done the CarPlay retrofit to the stock system?

I appreciate any advice/experiences I can get.
If it makes you feel any better the Bose isn't much better. I actually compared both side by side and preferred the Base over the Bose. Neither were great but overall I found the base clearer. A bit "boomy" but as long as you keep volume 7 out of 10 was overall better. The Bose was just weird and muddled. I thought maybe someone had been in the car and turned down the mids screwing around. I reset everything and still just muddled. The bass on the Bose was tighter, but that the only thing that was slightly better. I'll be interested to see what you find in case I feel a need to get something better myself later. Best of luck!

·
Registered
229 Posts
If it makes you feel any better the Bose isn't much better. I actually compared both side by side and preferred the Base over the Bose. Neither were great but overall I found the base clearer. A bit "boomy" but as long as you keep volume 7 out of 10 was overall better. The Bose was just weird and muddled. I thought maybe someone had been in the car and turned down the mids screwing around. I reset everything and still just muddled. The bass on the Bose was tighter, but that the only thing that was slightly better. I'll be interested to see what you find in case I feel a need to get something better myself later. Best of luck!
Subjective, and your opinion. I listened to both and wouldn’t buy a 718 without the Bose upgrade

·
Premium Member
1,733 Posts
I was under the impression that for cars that didn't come "equipped" with CarPlay, it was actually possible to just "activate" it as it's been built into all systems but if it wasn't optioned then it wasn't "activated". There's a thread on it someone posted above. However if that's not the case, I installed a board from this company in my 2016 991.1 GTS to provide active onscreen CarPlay. Works like a charm. They have other options that may be a better solution for what you're looking to do.

Vehicle Car Speedometer Trip computer Gear shift

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was under the impression that for cars that didn't come "equipped" with CarPlay, it was actually possible to just "activate" it as it's been built into all systems but if it wasn't optioned then it wasn't "activated". There's a thread on it someone posted above. However if that's not the case, I installed a board from this company in my 2016 991.1 GTS to provide active onscreen CarPlay. Works like a charm. They have other options that may be a better solution for what you're looking to do.

View attachment 37873

·
Premium Member
1,733 Posts
I’m not sure this will work on PCM 4… but it looks amazing
This is the one for 4.0. Link. The PCM 3.1 uses a board that is installed inside the PCM housing. Works just like the native CarPlay in my Boxster. Actually it works better as it can link to the phone both wirelessly as well as wired.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts