Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 174 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there,

As many of us know, the Cayman S likes to hit limp mode when tracking. As I have gotten better on the track, I have found that the issue comes up quicker and quicker. During my last track event I lost close to half of my 20 minute sessions due to the car needing a break.

So, I have started to get together a list of items to possibly help resolve the issue. I am well aware of the Suncoast page and their attempts to solve it as well, but was curious if anyone had any other suggestions.

So far the list is such:
Center Radiator
Possible Meth/Water Injection
NACA Air Ducts custom piped over the intercooler
Aftermarket Intercooler? (Does it exist?)
GTS Temp Servo(A possible fix that mainly helps prolong the problem judging by Suncoasts observations?)

I figure with winter approaching, it gives me a good amount of time to fiddle. But mainly I am just looking to see if anyone has any other suggestions and things I could have possibly missed.. Thanks!

·
Registered
64 Posts
There is a good topic about this issue in SunCoastParts Cayman track project build. They blame on some temp sensor. I would suggest to start from 3rd radiator kit, because from my point of view it is absolutely essential for track anyway.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Hey there,

As many of us know, the Cayman S likes to hit limp mode when tracking. As I have gotten better on the track, I have found that the issue comes up quicker and quicker. During my last track event I lost close to half of my 20 minute sessions due to the car needing a break.

So, I have started to get together a list of items to possibly help resolve the issue. I am well aware of the Suncoast page and their attempts to solve it as well, but was curious if anyone had any other suggestions.

So far the list is such:
Center Radiator
Possible Meth/Water Injection
NACA Air Ducts custom piped over the intercooler
Aftermarket Intercooler? (Does it exist?)
GTS Temp Servo(A possible fix that mainly helps prolong the problem judging by Suncoasts observations?)

I figure with winter approaching, it gives me a good amount of time to fiddle. But mainly I am just looking to see if anyone has any other suggestions and things I could have possibly missed.. Thanks!
Although many have tried, the problem has yet to be cured. Had a similar issue with my '60 Corvair. I tried a zillion potential solutions (slight exaggeration), but it never stopped randomly overheating in Houston traffic. Of course, always at the most inopportune time.

Rather than disappear down that rabbit hole once again, I sold our BS and await a GTS allocation (unfortunately, the delay may outlast me :(). The fact that Porsche refuses to correct the problem or provide a reasonable solution is a massive burr under my saddle.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Although many have tried, the problem has yet to be cured. Had a similar issue with my '60 Corvair. I tried a zillion potential solutions (slight exaggeration), but it never stopped randomly overheating in Houston traffic. Of course, always at the most inopportune time.

Rather than disappear down that rabbit hole once again, I sold our BS and await a GTS allocation (unfortunately, the delay may outlast me :(). The fact that Porsche refuses to correct the problem or provide a reasonable solution is a massive burr under my saddle.
As much as I would love to get a GTS/GT4 and upgrade, I have a bit too much in this car, and can't really afford to make the switch. Fortunate for me I don't mind if she is a little bit of a Frankenstein(Thus the possible NACA ducts in the back window) so I am hoping I can figure something out!

There is a good topic about this issue in SunCoastParts Cayman track project build. They blame on some temp sensor. I would suggest to start from 3rd radiator kit, because from my point of view it is absolutely essential for track anyway.
I will be throwing that temp sensor in as well while adding the third radiator!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Just starting tracking my Base Cayman. Havent seen oil temps > 235, but was wondering about the benefits of the 3rd radiator? Did some Googlin', but didn't see much references to the 2.0L. Anyone have info/experience on this?

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Just starting tracking my Base Cayman. Havent seen oil temps > 235, but was wondering about the benefits of the 3rd radiator? Did some Googlin', but didn't see much references to the 2.0L. Anyone have info/experience on this?
A 3rd radiator would probably benefit those doing heavy track time. Regardless, I'm not aware of any limp mode issues related to base 718's.

·
Registered
2017 BXS 6MT NIGHT BLUE/CHALK
112 Posts
If the issue is specifically and only on the 2017 VVT motor, why isn't it possible to swap-in a VVT motor (or the entire Turbo) from a not-2017?
That is the only info I can find. I know that the temperature sensor was also updated from the early cars. Best bet is to check the part numbers with your local Porsche parts department to see if there is an updated version.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
If the issue is specifically and only on the 2017 VVT motor, why isn't it possible to swap-in a VVT motor (or the entire Turbo) from a not-2017?
Don't know Porsche's official stance regarding limp mode. Regardless, I don't believe the "S" limp mode issue is confined to the 2017 model year, since I've heard claims from two 2018+ "S" owners who believe they experienced limp mode at COTA in March of 2021.

·
Registered
2017 BXS 6MT NIGHT BLUE/CHALK
112 Posts
Don't know Porsche's official stance regarding limp mode. Regardless, I don't believe the "S" limp mode issue is confined to the 2017 model year, since I've heard claims from two 2018+ "S" owners who believe they experienced limp mode at COTA in March of 2021.
I agree. Seems like they out out the bulletin early on and decided to forget about it.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I agree. Seems like they out out the bulletin early on and decided to forget about it.

Ok. Then the next logical question is: What about 2.5 GTS parts since - AFAIK - it doesn't suffer from the overheat?

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Seems to me that would be a logical step; however, the S and GTS use different turbos. Therefore, I would also expect the need for many other parts and reprogramming to function properly. This is the reason I chose a different path.

1 - 20 of 174 Posts