Porsche 718 Forum banner
121 - 140 of 174 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Boxster S
33 Posts
I have a PDK. It was warmer today and I hit limp mode after about 15 minutes in the first session. Then hit it after about 12 minutes in the 2nd session and called it a day. It was only getting warmer and I was getting tired.

·
Registered
2017 Boxster S
33 Posts
Same experience in similar temperatures at COTA in 2021. Many have tried and many have failed. Thus we sold our BS and ordered a BGTS, rather than throw lettuce down the rabbit hole of random possible solutions. We've been without a 718 for over a year now, but our car is now in the USA. I hope your outcome is less expensive and far more expedient.
LOL, it's me, the guy who bought your car. I'm sorry your GTS still hasn't come. At least it wasn't on the Felicity Ace and sank. My mom's Macan was on that boat a few months before that incident.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I have a PDK. It was warmer today and I hit limp mode after about 15 minutes in the first session. Then hit it after about 12 minutes in the 2nd session and called it a day. It was only getting warmer and I was getting tired.
I did see an update from Suncoast saying their issue was resolved. Honestly, there are a lot of posts from people who have experienced the issue - and all seem to have PDKs. I have heard of a few folks with 2017-18 6MTs who have not had the issue. I'm hoping to be one of them but will only know in June.

Here is their most recent update.

The rear underbody panel has been completely removed and not one hiccup over the last two events. Ambient temps on Saturday afternoon were upper 90's before the storms came. Our best lap of 2:24.94 came in the morning with temps around 74 degrees and very little traffic. VMax of 148mph was achieved on the back straight.

With that being said, it has taken a long, long time to get to this point. The car is as strong as it's ever been, and all the combined aero and cooling modifications with the removal of the rear underbody panel seem to have finally worked for us. We did not notice any aerodynamic issues with the panel off.

Engine Modifications:

Cobb Tuning Accessport with a custom dyno tune by Ed Susman of Equilibrium Tuning in Calfornia
405 wheel HP and 382 wheel TQ on 93 octane fuel
Soul Performance Track Package: 3.5" catless competition downpipe and race exhaust
BMC Air Filter
Forge Motorsport Adjustable Recirculation Valve
Updated Turbocharger Temperature Sensor

Cooling Modifications:
Suncoast Genuine Porsche Center Radiator Kit
Royal Purple Water Wetter in place of OEM coolant
Underbody Tunnel Foam/Sound Dampener Removed
Rear Engine Underbody Panel Removed

Aero Modifications:
991.2 Speedster Vented Front Underbody Panel
991.2 GT2 RS Underbody Spoiler Kit
Techart Front Spoiler Lip
Carbon Fiber GT4 Replica Rear Wing

Other Modifications:
Genuine Porsche 718 GTS 4.0 Big Brake Upgrade
FVD Stainless Steel Brakelines
Pagid Racing RS29 Yellow Brake Pads
19" OZ Ultraleggera Wheels
Michelin Pilot Sport Cup2 Tires 255/35R19 Front 295/30R19 Rear
H&R PASM Lowering Springs
Recaro Profi SPG XL Bucket Seats
Heigo Rollbar
Schroth Racing Profi II 6-Point GT3 Harnesses

·
Registered
2019 Cayman S, Cobb Stage 1 OTS, BMC Air Filter, Soul Catted Downpipe, Center Radiator
214 Posts
I did see an update from Suncoast saying their issue was resolved. Honestly, there are a lot of posts from people who have experienced the issue - and all seem to have PDKs. I have heard of a few folks with 2017-18 6MTs who have not had the issue. I'm hoping to be one of them but will only know in June.

Here is their most recent update.

The rear underbody panel has been completely removed and not one hiccup over the last two events. Ambient temps on Saturday afternoon were upper 90's before the storms came. Our best lap of 2:24.94 came in the morning with temps around 74 degrees and very little traffic. VMax of 148mph was achieved on the back straight.

With that being said, it has taken a long, long time to get to this point. The car is as strong as it's ever been, and all the combined aero and cooling modifications with the removal of the rear underbody panel seem to have finally worked for us. We did not notice any aerodynamic issues with the panel off.

Engine Modifications:

Cobb Tuning Accessport with a custom dyno tune by Ed Susman of Equilibrium Tuning in Calfornia
405 wheel HP and 382 wheel TQ on 93 octane fuel
Soul Performance Track Package: 3.5" catless competition downpipe and race exhaust
BMC Air Filter
Forge Motorsport Adjustable Recirculation Valve
Updated Turbocharger Temperature Sensor

Cooling Modifications:
Suncoast Genuine Porsche Center Radiator Kit
Royal Purple Water Wetter in place of OEM coolant
Underbody Tunnel Foam/Sound Dampener Removed
Rear Engine Underbody Panel Removed

Aero Modifications:
991.2 Speedster Vented Front Underbody Panel
991.2 GT2 RS Underbody Spoiler Kit
Techart Front Spoiler Lip
Carbon Fiber GT4 Replica Rear Wing

Other Modifications:
Genuine Porsche 718 GTS 4.0 Big Brake Upgrade
FVD Stainless Steel Brakelines
Pagid Racing RS29 Yellow Brake Pads
19" OZ Ultraleggera Wheels
Michelin Pilot Sport Cup2 Tires 255/35R19 Front 295/30R19 Rear
H&R PASM Lowering Springs
Recaro Profi SPG XL Bucket Seats
Heigo Rollbar
Schroth Racing Profi II 6-Point GT3 Harnesses
WOW!!!!! Nice mods and glad your vehicle is running great. Do you have a copy of your dyne charts to post? Those numbers are great. Thanks for posting your mods, I am going to make a copy and probably use some of your ideas. My 2019 CS is a daily driver and I track it approx once a month on a smaller track (lime rock).

·
Registered
238 Posts
WOW!!!!! Nice mods and glad your vehicle is running great. Do you have a copy of your dyne charts to post? Those numbers are great. Thanks for posting your mods, I am going to make a copy and probably use some of your ideas. My 2019 CS is a daily driver and I track it approx once a month on a smaller track (lime rock).
Hey Luis, this is Suncoast Porsche’s 2017 718CS build. I think they have a dyno chart. I’ll see if I can find it and post here.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Found it. @Ed @ EQT may have more info to share.

Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Pattern

·
Registered
2019 Cayman S, Cobb Stage 1 OTS, BMC Air Filter, Soul Catted Downpipe, Center Radiator
214 Posts
Oh, sorry about that........I mis read and thought it was your car....my bad.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #131 ·
Well, to no surprise to many... Myself included, I hit limp mode yesterday. Was about 80 and super humid outside. Saw oil temps get to 267. I hit limp mode both while on my custom tune and stock.

Some things to note... The turbo doesnt cut power the second the temps get high. I noticed a few times that temps were at 255+ and I was still making boost... Then mid straight I could feel the power bog down and stay at 6psi for an unknown amount of laps... Sometimes it would come back next turn, others I had to take a few cooldown laps and wait till temps got down to 230 or lower for power to come back on.

That being said... I ran a few laps with only 6psi boost for fun to work on my lines, and then ran my best time next session! haha

·
Registered
238 Posts
Well, to no surprise to many... Myself included, I hit limp mode yesterday. Was about 80 and super humid outside. Saw oil temps get to 267. I hit limp mode both while on my custom tune and stock.

Some things to note... The turbo doesnt cut power the second the temps get high. I noticed a few times that temps were at 255+ and I was still making boost... Then mid straight I could feel the power bog down and stay at 6psi for an unknown amount of laps... Sometimes it would come back next turn, others I had to take a few cooldown laps and wait till temps got down to 230 or lower for power to come back on.

That being said... I ran a few laps with only 6psi boost for fun to work on my lines, and then ran my best time next session! haha
Oh no! That's not good to hear. You recently did a lot of work on the car, correct?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #134 ·
Oh no! That's not good to hear. You recently did a lot of work on the car, correct?
I did. Oil pan, vented underbody, GTS thermostat, a few other things I can't recall...

someone makes a billet deep oil pan for more oil capacity to help with temps. forget who though
There are a couple brands, and I have it installed already. It helps slightly.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #136 ·
womp womp. Super frustrating but I'm glad you made the most of it and worked on your lines! I could probably benefit from 6psi boost now that I'm starting up in HPDEs again. I'm 10 years older, 3 new humans to look after, and probably have low T. LOL
I'm not giving up yet, but will likely start some out of the box thinking. Working with a fun shop to see what we can come up with. I genuinely like the 4 cylinder turbo, and its always fun to watch it hang with much more capable cars.

·
Registered
GTS is LIFE!
70 Posts
I'm not giving up yet, but will likely start some out of the box thinking. Working with a fun shop to see what we can come up with. I genuinely like the 4 cylinder turbo, and its always fun to watch it hang with much more capable cars.
I may have missed it but have you installed the center radiator already ?

·
Registered
2017 Boxster S
33 Posts
I'm with you in not giving up. I'm also taking mine to a shop soon to see what they can come up. Hopefully one of us will get a solution done.

121 - 140 of 174 Posts